Fire Sale on Ultrasone?
Aug 24, 2011 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

roker

Headphoneus Supremus
Maybe I haven't looked at their prices in a couple of years, but I've noticed they're a lot cheaper than they used to be.

Being the mega fan of Denon D2000s that I am, what can I expect from Ultrasone?

Are they dark?  Are they bright?  Are they fun?

I'm not a fan of neutrality, so give me some opinions.  The 780s look pretty sitting at 159 as do the 580s for 129.

The 900s on the other hand are still as expensive as ever.

Opinions, insults, all are welcome.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 12
Bassy for DJ's

that's about the shortest. If you have Denon already, it would be a waste to get a Ultrasone. Save your money for a better Denon

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 12
I actually had the D2000 and Pro 900 at one point. Probably one of my most unknown, yet extensive comparisons ever.

Conclusion? Well, I sold off the D2000. I liked the Pro 900 due to being darker as well as having much more bass punch. Fast forward a couple months, long after the Pro 900 had left, and I had bought them once more. But this time, I had more experience and update preferences under my belt. So how did the second pair turn out? Well, simply put, I hated them. I found that the midrange was nearly missing, bass was WAY too flabby and uncontrolled, and the entire sound just sounded like a budget headphone to me. I hate to say all this, coming from someone who wrote a raving review about them, but my relationship with the Pro 900 went from top to bottom in a matter of months. Now days, I really miss the D2000, and am dying to finally try it properly amped with my new setup.

Thus, I have ordered my 3rd D2000.

Hopefully this time, I won't be selling it off. I just have a feeling I'm *really* going to like it, but we'll see.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 12
I haven't tried a new pair of headphones for what seems like 2 years.

At the time I tried some AKGs 270s, Senn 650, Audio Technica, Grado RS-1, AD700s, and various sub 500 dollar headphones and nothing got me hooked like the D2000s.  But it's like I feel like I should give the 650s another chance, or dabble in those high end headphones.  Is there a step up, a progression from here?

Maybe I should just save up for the D7000s.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I haven't tried a new pair of headphones for what seems like 2 years.

At the time I tried some AKGs 270s, Senn 650, Audio Technica, Grado RS-1, AD700s, and various sub 500 dollar headphones and nothing got me hooked like the D2000s.  But it's like I feel like I should give the 650s another chance, or dabble in those high end headphones.  Is there a step up, a progression from here?

Maybe I should just save up for the D7000s.

Save up of just give up.

I love my Grado SR80i and have enough money for a PS1000, but still I find my old pair to be my best friend. I mean, if you're comfortable with your current cans, why change?

Now going up in the scale like Denon, Grado, AKG that stay the same sound but better as you move up; you can get the next best thing. But I feel that the pair that have gone everywhere with you would still be your main can while your new ones are hardly used.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 12
Did you ever glance over my D2000 vs HD650 review? The D2000 hooked me a lot more than the HD650 did, that's for sure.

Well, moving up to the D5000 or D7000 is always an option, but the improvement may not be worth it for you. Some even like the D2000 better than the other two.

The only mod I tried was the Kees Mod for the Pro 900, and actually still preferred stock. I don't think I'd ever mod the D2000.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 12
I'd be scared to mod my D2000.  Whenever I hear the world 'tight bass' around these parts I come to realization that it means less bass in practicality.  I love the reverb of the sub-bass of the D2000 when it comes to percussion, but at times it can make bass guitars seem a bit too subwoofer-like.  However it's a real nice aspect for movies, games and hip-hop/rap.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
I'd be scared to mod my D2000.  Whenever I hear the world 'tight bass' around these parts I come to realization that it means less bass in practicality.  I love the reverb of the sub-bass of the D2000 when it comes to percussion, but at times it can make bass guitars seem a bit too subwoofer-like.  However it's a real nice aspect for movies, games and hip-hop/rap.

That's the exact reason why I didn't like the Kees Mod for the Pro 900. While it did "improve" the bass in terms of balance or naturalness, it took away the very thing that made the bass so great. I could imagine the same thing applying to the D2000, in which you mention the reverb would most likely be corrected in the mod. I'll just take whatever the manufacturer gives me, to be honest. And while many, many users on these forums absolutely love modding, I really don't see myself ever getting into it. Playing around with cheaper headphones is fun, but anything past that means I don't want to screw anything up, yet alone possible alter the stock sound that I grew to appreciate.

If I like the stock sound, I don't touch anything. If I don't like the stock sound, I find a new headphone.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Did you ever glance over my D2000 vs HD650 review? The D2000 hooked me a lot more than the HD650 did, that's for sure.

Well, moving up to the D5000 or D7000 is always an option, but the improvement may not be worth it for you. Some even like the D2000 better than the other two.

The only mod I tried was the Kees Mod for the Pro 900, and actually still preferred stock. I don't think I'd ever mod the D2000.

That was my feelings on it as well.

In fact, I think if you start with the 555s and move up, you'll hear the progression, but it's not the way I wanted it to go.  

Now if they could build a full size headphone with the HD25-ii as the basis, it might actually be the ideal headphone for me.  I really liked the HD25s, but they just didn't serve a real purpose for me anymore.

I'll hold on then.  Seems like some good advice, but I'm definitely getting a new amp for these babies.

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 12
Maybe Ultrasone have been selling better so now they get sales.
Sellers just finally putting them on sale. Distribution and sellers working together to make the Ultrasone cheaper but sell better.
Whatever it is they are indeed a lot cheaper than they were.
Just open air models haven't been put on sale Pro 2900 and HFI 2400.

Ultrasone are headphones that offers the most unique sound so really the only ones really worth giving a shot if you want to really try something different to what you have already.

What I like about Ultrasone is -4db of air pressure other headphones drill sound into your ears.
Ultrasone tries to be like speakers and bring it more naturally and pleasantly.
The S-Logic is the driver being decentralized and letting the outer anatomy of your ear the pinna aka auricle each unique persons ear to collect that sound and then give it to you.
It also better a lot better and not being so left/right like other headphones can be still not quite speakers though.

Besides the air pressure everything is more pleasant and easier to listen to.
Drums and cymbals actually sound good.You can actually hear the bass other headphones wash over.
To me it's like speakers it's very easy to listen to and focus on what you want to.
After Ultrasone for me other headphones are way too tiring and fatiguing to listen to.
And even great recordings I find can be annoying with regular headphones the Ultrasone really is a brilliant design soundwise enjoyment wise not as good as speakers but the best headphones to me.

My experience is with open air models HFI 2200 which has been turned into HFI 2400 and Pro 2500 (out of production)

I haven't really got to try out a closed back model just one for a little bit not long enough to say anything.
Ultrasones also need to burn in no getting use to the sound they really change in sound from out of the box.
Also portables don't do Ultrasone justice at all..Maybe the HFI 580 can but I haven't tried that one.
Another thing compared to other headphones you might be shocked at the softer sound at first due to not having all that air pressure 
you might need a little ear reset/brain reset. You might not like it at first it's like the loudness wars.
Ultrasone being dynamic and other headphones being brickwalled. Give it a good listen before judgement.

If your willing to I say give them a try.
As for which model can't say.

The Pro 900 is the only Ultrasone model on here that's been getting attention.
Looking at charts the Pro 900 really seems a lot brighter than all other Ultrasone models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back