Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 31, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #6,001 of 6,223
After owning the RN6 for around 6 months. A few impressions. I have been tip rolling and cable rolling, and found for now my sweetspot.

I absolutely love the RN6, coming from a Tia Trio (which I like also), the RN6 is a significant upgrade for me personnally. I listen mainly to Trance (and EDM), Scores (Hans Zimmer), dutch hiphop, and electronic pop/ Rock. I really like the kinetic bass, which is like a mini subwoofer in my ear. I started with the black module (i bought it second hand, and thas was in it) and the stock cable, with mostly the xelastex or the crystal eartips, it was good, but I thought it could be better. I had to switch sometimes between tips. The sound was great, a little extension to the treble, and a bit analytical, mids were good, but I thought the bass could be a bit better.

Than I changed the cable to the Eletech Raphael, the sound smoothed, less anaytical, a little bit warmer, and good bass. Than I changed to the old Symbio W (peeled), and there it was (i thought). Great bass, smooth mids, not to harsh treble. That was my fit. So I had to try some module rolling. I changed to the silver. Not sure wat happened there, but the sound, and mainly the bass and mids, became muddy. So I changed it back to the blacks, those were great, I haven't tried the reds or the golds. So a few weeks ago, I wanted to try the new Symbio W. Those are equally good as the old Symbio W, but the new ones I use with the foam inside.
I give you a „tip“: try the W1 with the Rn6 and thanks me later.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #6,003 of 6,223
Did that, could find a good fit, the kinetic bass disappeared, but going to try those again.
Well, I have to say that it's exactly the opposite for me. Even with Mentor, the W1s give the BCD/Kinetic Bass more impact (and otherwise more subbass) compared to the Azla SednaEarfit / Crystals or Symbio W Peel old/new, for example.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #6,004 of 6,223
Hey guys, my full e12 review is now online here. Enjoy!

E12_08.jpg
I thoroughly enjoy all your reviews! Finally got around to reading this one. Thank you for the well done impressions!

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #6,006 of 6,223
I had spent so much time focusing on just the stellar bass in my KR 5 that I don't think I realized what a powerhouse it is in other departments.

I listened to the song Chocolate Chip Trip by Tool, first on my KR5. Every sound was easy to pinpoint, and I noticed patterns everywhere.

I later listened to the same song with other gear (Monarch MK3, Meze Liric, etc) and I was really surprised to find that it became a total jumbled mess. Patterns I knew were in the music were just totally unrecognizable.

Very surpsiring actually. I didn't realize how much of a detail king the KR5 is too.

I wonder if the FiR team ever get frustrated that the only thing people talk about is the bass. Because WOW, I hadn't realized what other tricks these were hiding.

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #6,007 of 6,223
I had spent so much time focusing on just the stellar bass in my KR 5 that I don't think I realized what a powerhouse it is in other departments.

I listened to the song Chocolate Chip Trip by Tool, first on my KR5. Every sound was easy to pinpoint, and I noticed patterns everywhere.

I later listened to the same song with other gear (Monarch MK3, Meze Liric, etc) and I was really surprised to find that it became a total jumbled mess. Patterns I knew were in the music were just totally unrecognizable.

Very surpsiring actually. I didn't realize how much of a detail king the KR5 is too.

I wonder if the FiR team ever get frustrated that the only thing people talk about is the bass. Because WOW, I hadn't realized what other tricks these were hiding.
Would agree I love the Kr5. The details are what keeps me reaching for this set.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #6,008 of 6,223

gotta acquire a red atom to really turn up the detail :wink:

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #6,011 of 6,223
Well, I have to say that it's exactly the opposite for me. Even with Mentor, the W1s give the BCD/Kinetic Bass more impact (and otherwise more subbass) compared to the Azla SednaEarfit / Crystals or Symbio W Peel old/new, for example.
I did give them another try. Still the same, bass maybe a bit tighter, but a lot flimsier. Not everyone ears are the same.

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #6,012 of 6,223

As owner of Kr5 I totally agree with you. The bass is one of the best features but the soundstage and the detail is awesome too. Even more with the upgrade cable, the ares s x Cadmus adds more to the package. Needless to tell you with code23 (ergonomics apart XD)

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #6,013 of 6,223
for any RN6 owners, do you find the kinetic bass port potential sound leakage is distracting to other people in quiet surroundings at higher than average volumes?
I was told by my supervisor that they can hear my music and I've even threw them on for gaming as I was too lazy to switch and others in the chat can hear themselves so yeah at louder volumes other can hear it but not sure how much it leaks since I'm enjoying it lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back