Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #6,016 of 6,244
Feb 9, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #6,019 of 6,244
@bogdan belonozhko

From the experience I've had in this area so far, I've gained the impression that quite a lot is demanded here and unfortunately too little is given back. In fact, there is always a word for negative criticism and too few words for positive criticism.

I would like to use this message to express my praise. I think you (and your team) have earned it by creating something with the Xenon 6 that is simply as unique as it is great. It all has one word, "genius" (according to the Cambridge Dictionary "very great and rare natural ability or skill, especially in a particular area such as science or art"). I see the genius in having found the key to a sound tuning that is capable of evoking unique emotions by attempting something that would be completely absurd according to the rational mind. By that I mean this deliberately blatant expression of the bottom end, which completely overshadows the rest. What emerges is not only a certain fusion of tones, but also of emotions that are evoked by these tones. In my opinion, what contributes to all this is the likewise strategically thought-out, to a certain extent innate and ethereal positioning of the vocals at the top - crowned by the high notes. What results from all this is an emotional wave that takes you from the bottom to the top and becomes one with the music. Every music lover should have heard the Xe6 at least once and gotten involved with it. Such feelings cannot be ignored. I had to demo the Xenon 6 myself 3 times before I was convinced. I didn't like it at all in the beginning, but only because I couldn't understand it, it was too out of the ordinary. I even wanted to have a custom one, it would have been the first ever. It's just a shame that the responses from Fir Audio were too slow back then, I had to keep pushing for an answer and in the end I gave up. What a pity. I'm glad that I got back into the Xenon 6 instead of selling it. Admittedly, I had never really heard it with the N30 - what a dream pairing.

I would very much like to know what studies were conducted for the development of the Xe6 and what psychoacoustic would say about it. I would be delighted if you could reveal something about it.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #6,020 of 6,244
Simply one of best when not the best IEM for metal I ever heared review is in progress coming in a few days...
This tuning is genius. Such a bottom end in combination with kinetic Bass is unbeatable and with such control and balance tuning overall, great. When you think big bass is muffled or slow you never heared XE6!!!
With Azla Clears very very good. But with SpiralDots++ I was speechless in some tracks cannot stop listening...

Attachments

• PXL_20240203_235520434.jpg
    PXL_20240203_235520434.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #6,021 of 6,244
Simply one of best when not the best IEM for metal I ever heared review is in progress coming in a few days...
This tuning is genius. Such a bottom end in combination with kinetic Bass is unbeatable and with such control and balance tuning overall, great. When you think big bass is muffled or slow you never heared XE6!!!
With Azla Clears very very good. But with SpiralDots++ I was speechless in some tracks cannot stop listening...
Ima order some dots today and see what the hype is. Crystals vs SpiralDot++ show down! Slightly annoying the MS Crystals are 11.9mm and the JVC are 12mm in M 🤣at least they provide measurements.

Edit: They'll be here Tuesday :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #6,023 of 6,244
In your signature I see you have RN6 not XE6? For RN6 SD++ is not good suited imo.
It goes in the box then 🤣 I can run em on my other iems and see what's up too so all is not wasted (but it could be)

Attachments

• 20240209_125343.jpg
    20240209_125343.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #6,024 of 6,244
I see the genius in having found the key to a sound tuning that is capable of evoking unique emotions by attempting something that would be completely absurd according to the rational mind. By that I mean this deliberately blatant expression of the bottom end, which completely overshadows the rest. What emerges is not only a certain fusion of tones, but also of emotions that are evoked by these tones.
It's this emotional connection that Xe6 is able to create that made me fall in love with it. I've heard plenty of other TOTL IEMs before and since getting my own Xe6, and while some have better technical ability in resolution and detail, and many are able to evoke a pleasing degree of emotional connection, nothing has come close to what Xe6 does for me.

When I first had a demo of Xe6 as part of a tour, I signed off with this in my impressions post, as I reckon it's pretty much Xe6-as-pure-audio-perfection to me. Nothing has changed there.

That's interesting, I've heard other comments that Xe6 is not best suited for metal. I don't listen to much metal at all, so I have no opinion really, but I'll be interested to hear your thoughts, and any tracks where you think Xe6 excels.
You can forget about tips entirely if you go CIEM. Honestly, if there is one IEM that is worth it for the hassle of getting a custom, Xe6 has to be it. Ok, maybe there could be a few others, but I can't ever imagine not wanting Xe6 sound in my life, so being all-in with it is kind of a no-brainer.

Feb 9, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #6,025 of 6,244
Frontier Series be like:
15298591127_12eb6dcfe1_o.jpg

Feb 9, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #6,026 of 6,244
How's Gimme Chocolate on the XE6 :L3000:

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #6,027 of 6,244
Hi, new owner of an RN6, trying to experiment with the filters. Have they been graphed anywhere or what is your experience with them?

I sort of don't want to keep swapping them (so tiny...) so i would appreciate getting an idea what they are doing to narrow it down to a few choices.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #6,028 of 6,244
Hi, new owner of an RN6, trying to experiment with the filters. Have they been graphed anywhere or what is your experience with them?

I sort of don't want to keep swapping them (so tiny...) so i would appreciate getting an idea what they are doing to narrow it down to a few choices.
Well, it would be interesting to hear your own thoughts on what you hear when swapping them, but as per FiR, this is what you should expect:
https://www.firaudio.com/store/atom-xl-4pk

Red filter is the least isolation/least sub-bass extension and Gold is the most isolation/most sub-bass extension, with the black and silver in between. A lot of folks swear by the red filter for it's very clear and clean, open sort of sound, but I liked the silver or even gold best when I've tried Rn6 to give it more thickness and body.

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #6,029 of 6,244

Well, it would be interesting to hear your own thoughts on what you hear when swapping them, but as per FiR, this is what you should expect:

Red filter is the least isolation/least sub-bass extension and Gold is the most isolation/most sub-bass extension, with the black and silver in between. A lot of folks swear by the red filter for it's very clear and clean, open sort of sound, but I liked the silver or even gold best when I've tried Rn6 to give it more thickness and body.
I am basically in favour of silver for a more colored, bodied sound and generally better cohesion and reminiscences of the Xe6 (although both remain fundamentally different). However, I would also be happy with black or red. Yellow is too much of a good thing.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #6,030 of 6,244

Wow that's interesting, so far i was on black and red, and i thought RN6 had a lot of extension already on red once i got a perfect seal, and quite thick in the low mids. I should try silver next. Didn't know about the isolation aspect per say. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back