Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 18, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #5,971 of 6,223
FiRRy + EA CODE evening pileup – XE6 + C23, E12 + C24, RN6 + 24C – for weekend tunes.

Initial impressions of E12 + C24, loving more mids presence and weight to vocals and instruments, treble is well extended but never harsh, bass is well defined – more quality than C23 quantity.

IMG_1063.jpeg

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #5,972 of 6,223
I have stopped using C23 with XE6 as I feel it exerts too much force on the 2 pin input of IEM, I hope the new cable are easy to work with and are gentle around ears.

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #5,973 of 6,223
Im still waiting for my red module replacement too, been email with Jessica since 12 May 2023 and 29 July 2023 ( Never got any reply )
and imessage with Cody since 14 Aug 2023 ( He said that more modules were sent to Indonesia dealer) , 8 November 2023 ( Cody said that transit times can be lengthy) , and until when my dealer get fir e12 demo set ( 8 december 2023), there are no module replacement for me and 13 December 2023 i message Cody again ( this one never got any reply ).

At this point, i just give up to asked them about the module replacement and have lost interest in their product going forward.
We try to do these replacement though dealer shipments. If the dealer doesn’t have a shipment for a while we try to send it direct. I would imagine we would have gotten them to the dealer by now. Have you inquired with the dealer if they received any replacement sets?

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Jan 18, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #5,974 of 6,223
Hello,

I owned a Rn6 and this is my first Fir Audio IEM.

On my Rn6 ATOM holes, I noticed that there is a paint left in the hole and after researching from some reviews online, this is most likely because the ATOM module paint is starting to chip away.

So, I emailed to us@firaudio.com, never got any reply.

After that, by reading on this headfi thread, I emailed to Jessica on 11th December 2023, and got a reply that she's asking me to provide my full address and proof of purchase, I replied and she said that she will send me a replacement of ATOM modules regarding this issue.
But, after several time of waiting, I have no email or confirmation about the shipment.

The last email that I sent to Jessica was on 9th January 2024, and never got any reply until today.
I was asking for confirmation and an AWB if the ATOM module is on the way.

Could you please help look into it? @bogdan belonozhko

Thanks in advance!
Was the shipment sent direct then you’d get confirmation. If to a dealer then it wouldn’t notify you. I would reach out again, we had some really bad weather and there was a couple days this week we were closed.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Jan 19, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #5,975 of 6,223
Update on my xe6 journey 🙋

eq'ing xe6 to fine tune the analogue sound seems an infinite task , i.e. VS Jewel or Traillii : they felt easier to be tuned akin to their spot sound signature and offer ( and on my needs ) ; it is easier on xe6 to tilt bass or have good margins in low frqs , but then getting the combinations of stage dimensions , clear mids forwardness and avoiding highs harshness , it needs more fine tunings; and with cables roll + atom rolls there's wider offer here and longer time to understand the sound fits

Code23 plays better if paired with xe6 gray atom/module( my ears and gears ) ; it is blacker and smoother on bass and mids then the previous cable and seems to add slightly more resolution through in the way of better layering position and timbral attitude and also voices details ; but a bit less air on top . Nicer grunt of guitars too. It seems to finally help to get closer in engaging k-bass on Shanling M9+ at Shanling M8 levels , k-bass involvement on M8 is easier without much eq and through a more wide bass range , at the expense of a slight less separation and resolution down there ; all this with gray module and on M9+ , I plan to stay on M9+ for some days now and return to M8 later in the week to test again this aspect.

Both Shanling M8 and M9+ seem to offer their most decent sound after 30- 45m run and heat-up , quite more noticeable on m9+ for finness , holography and analogueness all they seemingly step up after dap heated up (my ears, as usual)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #5,976 of 6,223
I have stopped using C23 with XE6 as I feel it exerts too much force on the 2 pin input of IEM, I hope the new cable are easy to work with and are gentle around ears.
As others have said and I agree, the Code 23 seems like a headphone cable forced into an IEM body. I am weary of the 24's for similar ergo reasons. The cable colors sure do pop (very vs Eletech's Victoria and Tyrian).

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #5,977 of 6,223
FiRRy + EA CODE evening pileup – XE6 + C23, E12 + C24, RN6 + 24C – for weekend tunes.

Initial impressions of E12 + C24, loving more mids presence and weight to vocals and instruments, treble is well extended but never harsh, bass is well defined – more quality than C23 quantity.

IMG_1063.jpeg
Where did you order the limited? I see in the US Audio 46 is awaiting stock, but i'll go for the Pentaconn 4.4 and TermX IEM side MMCX/2Pin. There's no options on the retail side 😒 (I'm looking to use it on my EVO when I get them back from Empire Ears, the stock Rn6 cable is too good)

Happy FiR Friday!

Jan 19, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #5,978 of 6,223
Where did you order the limited? I see in the US Audio 46 is awaiting stock, but i'll go for the Pentaconn 4.4 and TermX IEM side MMCX/2Pin. There's no options on the retail side 😒 (I'm looking to use it on my EVO when I get them back from Empire Ears, the stock Rn6 cable is too good)

Happy FiR Friday!

I had pre-ordered both (Pentaconn 4.4) directly from Effect Audio. They included the full ConX set with my C24.

https://www.effectaudio.com/code-24c-limited

Jan 20, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #5,979 of 6,223
Well the time has come for me to say goodbye to the FIR Audio Frontier series. I've really enjoyed my time with them, they're 3 quite different IEM's! Thanks to @Damz87 for organising and Minidisc Au/FIR Audio for the opportunity to audition these. My thoughts and impressions are my own and not influenced whatsoever.

Packaging and included accessories:

As this was a tour kit they weren't sent with the retail packaging, from what I've seen it looks like a very nice unboxing experience. Included tips do the job across the three, I ended up using the large silicone ones. They come with a 4.4mm balanced cable, no complaints with the build. For the price of these I would expect a 3.5mm cable to be included as well however i believe it's only the 4.4mm, as my preferred combo was with the Mojo2 this would be an added expense. You also get the Atom XS interchangeable Modules, I did not touch these as it's only a 1db change and didn't want to risk breaking anything. The look and feel of all three are TOTL, absolutely beautiful.

I did try some foam tips, however found that these generally accentuated the bass even more and none of these need that.

Commonalities:

Soundstage, amazing across all three. I think they're in this order: Ne4, Xe6, Kr5 but all are great. They do leak quite a bit of sound, my wife does have some super level of hearing but she did comment a few times that she could hear them quite clearly across the full frequency band. In terms of isolating me they were all equal in that they blocked out most outside sounds, no issues at all. Bass across all three is amazing, it's their standout feature. If you don't like thick detailed bass, none of these are for you. If you love bass, you need to try these out. They also all take EQ quite well, all impressions are based on non EQ'd sound.

Ne4:

I've posted my thoughts on this previously, to sum it up I found the Ne4 to be a great allrounder. I think it would be a perfect fit for someone who doesn't have a lot of other Head-Fi gear as everything you throw at it sounds nice - if I were to ever consolidate down to one IEM these would absolutely be in the running. They're not as detailed as I sometimes enjoy, however you can listen to them (as I did) for long periods without the slightest hint of fatigue.

Kr5:

My favourite of the 3. I've read the reviews of others and heard the feedback about the treble, I think between these and the Meze Advar I've learned that I like some spicy treble :p You maintain the lovely bass of the Ne4 but also get a more detailed sound. Vocals sounds amazing through these, where they are a little recessed/veiled on the Ne4 they come through clear on these. Sound is (obviously) brighter than the Ne4. I'd say they're the closest to neutral, but with a bass focus. They're not going to be for everyone (as demonstrated by the other reviews), for me they are pretty much perfect. After I got through testing all three I landed on these and they really haven't left my ears much after that.

Xe6:

The top of the bunch (price wise), here we leave the Kr5 sound signature and return more to Ne4 territory. The bass here is the best out of the three, you really have to hear it to believe it. Extremely textured, with an amazing feel to it. Certainly doesn't sound/feel like an IEM. Vocals take a step back, I think that bass overwhelms the mids a little. Detail is also a step down from Kr5, above Ne4. From a bass presentation they're the best, for mids and highs I prefer the Kr5. I did really enjoy these, particularly for non vocal tracks, they just seemed like a step back for my tastes from the Kr5.

Across all three I heard bass detail that I've never heard before in tracks - quite an experience!

Where does this leave me for a recommendation? As long as you don't shy away from bass I think you'll find something to love here. With their price points, I wouldn't recommend a blind purchase unless you've read many reviews and really understand what you're buying, if I'd bought the Ne4/Xe6 blind I don't think I'd have been happy, if I'd chosen the Kr5 I'd have been over the moon - if you can audition them please do! For full disclosure, and to emphasize the above point, I assumed I would have preferred the Xe6 before I heard them all and would have been my blind purchase choice. For anyone with similar ears to me the Kr5 is the best I've heard and it get's a recommended purchase - after spending another week with them I think they're on top of the IEM mountain for what they offer. I'll see how much I miss them but have a feeling I may need to squirrel away some cash and buy them down the track :)

Kr5.jpg
Thanks again the @Damz87 and Minidisc Au/Fir Audio for the second Fir tour. This time we had the Ne4/Xe6 again, but the Radon 6 was also provided. I still have the Kr5 which I purchased so it was good to be able to compare them all.

Listening the Ne4/Xe6 echoed my thoughts from my prior impressions, I perhaps liked the Ne4 a little more than last time (I did use different tips) but largely the same feelings.

The real comparison for me was the Kr5 vs Rn6, the Kr5 gets a strong rotation in my listening sessions and I really enjoy it, would be in my top 5. The Rn6 has more warmth when comparing to the Kr5, but not to Xe6 levels. There is more bass, not to Xe6 levels, but certainly a step above the Kr5, however in terms of quality I'm not sure they're that different. The Kr5 is still more revealing to my ears in the upper frequencies, however only slightly so, but the Kr5 delivers a more natural sound to my ears than the Rn6, but I'm splitting hairs. Mids are more forward on the Rn6 compared to the Kr5 (or you may say they're recessed on the Kr5 but I'll go with my first statement), with my preference leaning to the Kr5, however this very likely could just be due to the amount of time I've spent with the Kr5.

Packaging wise it was exactly the same as the Kr5 but a few more tips. In terms of atom modules I landed on the red module for the Rn6 and stayed with the silver module for the Kr5.

Overall it was hard to come out with a clear winner, in the end I decided that I preferred my Kr5, however your milage may vary, for many I'm sure the Rn6 would be the preference. I'd also take them over the Xe6 any day of the week for most genres but the Xe6 is very much a niche IEM to me, which I'd like it in my collection, but can't justify the price for the use I'd get out of it. the Rn6 is a fantastic IEM, price wise probably a little higher than what they deliver for me, but not miles away. The get a recommendation from me. My rating with Kr5 as a reference:

1705800176182.png

In overall scores the Kr5 came in at 91.75, Rn6 at 90. Really is down to preference and if I hadn't spent a year the Kr5 it's possible I'd prefer the Rn6, if you're in the market for one I'd really try to audition if you can.

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #5,980 of 6,223
Anyone up for a trade for a ibasso 320Mazx TI? (Month old) Sound signature is not my cup of tea…

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #5,982 of 6,223
Update: RN6 + newly released R8 II. Turbo mode, Class A. Too good to be true - and without external amp. Kenetic bass at its finest. Much better than with DX320, DX320MaxTi, H7... A must try!
Heck yeah! Which color did you get?

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #5,983 of 6,223
for any RN6 owners, do you find the kinetic bass port potential sound leakage is distracting to other people in quiet surroundings at higher than average volumes?

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #5,985 of 6,223
for any RN6 owners, do you find the kinetic bass port potential sound leakage is distracting to other people in quiet surroundings at higher than average volumes?
No. But i'm also not listening in bed next to an SO nor am I in a library study room that's dead quiet. Any amount of ambient industrial noise or appliances running will nullify normal listening leakage from beyond any reasonable distance. Inverse square law applies neatly to sound pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back