Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 12, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #5,956 of 6,233
Watercooler what ear tips work the best for you with the RN6?

i find that the included tips with the RN6 work better if they have the stem attached the black/orange ones. They work the best for the kinetic bass as it helps with the contact.

I tried the RN6 with some foam ear tips. It sounds better, I suspect this is due to deeper insertion depth. Looking for something that will be helpful with the kinetic bass but still be comfortable. Any suggestions?
SimbioW are great, but the included ones are a little bit uncomfortable. The new iteration is better in this regard. I will have soon the possibility to try spiral dot and W1

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #5,958 of 6,233
Thanks. Found some AZLA SendraEarfit Max. Used the medium. Better contact with inner ear, can feel the rumble. Any songs or albums with RN6 that would sound good with the kinetic bass?
I find the AZLA SednaEarfit Short/Light the best, everywhere. They are quite balanced for me with a slightly emphasized low-end-mid fundament. The Max would reduce the bass too much and emphasize the treble too much for me. UM's stock tips are a very good alternative.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #5,959 of 6,233
SimbioW are great, but the included ones are a little bit uncomfortable. The new iteration is better in this regard. I will have soon the possibility to try spiral dot and W1
Symbio W New reduces bass and mid too much for me and the sound is less forward because the distance is greater.

W1 by spin fit?
W1 are for emphasising the uppermid-treble fundament and generally the clarity at the expense of the body in the lowend-mid fundament.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #5,960 of 6,233
i find that the included tips with the RN6 work better if they have the stem attached the black/orange ones. They work the best for the kinetic bass as it helps with the contact.

I tried the RN6 with some foam ear tips. It sounds better, I suspect this is due to deeper insertion depth. Looking for something that will be helpful with the kinetic bass but still be comfortable. Any suggestions?

Azlya Crystals are my primary go to both RN6 and XE6 with Azla SednaEarFitShort regular (black) or light (opaque) alternates – both these are great for bass and natural treble extension reducing peaks, and also SpinFit Omni or JVC SpiralDots++.

You can try a larger size with normal insertion which still maintains Kinectic Bass contact since the tips will be identical in height (assuming you're using the same brand and tips). I'll use either ML or L depending on the IEM.

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #5,961 of 6,233
Azlya Crystals are my primary go to both RN6 and XE6 with Azla SednaEarFitShort regular (black) or light (opaque) alternates – both these are great for bass and natural treble extension reducing peaks, and also SpinFit Omni or JVC SpiralDots++.

You can try a larger size with normal insertion which still maintains Kinectic Bass contact since the tips will be identical in height (assuming you're using the same brand and tips). I'll use either ML or L depending on the IEM.
I generally find that the AZLA Crystals have a (for me) too natural bass and sometimes peaks in the top-end. The SendnaEarFits help with such peaks.

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #5,962 of 6,233
I generally find that the AZLA Crystals have a (for me) too natural bass and sometimes peaks in the top-end. The SendnaEarFits help with such peaks.

Ja, I use the later with Electron 12 to the roll A LOT of the highs and peaks until the DD has settled in - around 72+ hours of run in.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #5,963 of 6,233

The Black/Orange ones aren't actually terrible on the Frontier Series (they're pretty awful for most other things, eating bass and choking the treble). The AZLA Earfits are okay, but the Crystals really are just the tips (good amount of tack for insertion, comfy, most detail, best bass reponse). Divinus are very comfy but narrow the staging (I'd be perfectly okay with them if I never had the crystals or Xelastec first).

EDIT for @phiemon : as I commented like... 12 hours ago? the MS vs the M with the crystals. The MS don't have as good "staying power" in my ears after skin-oils get on em with the RN6 (perfectly great with other shell shapes i.e. EVO/MEST) while the M is perfectly snug, but the deeper insertion with the MS resolves the tinge of peaky-ness on female vocal frequencies the M tends towards with a less deep seating. We're talking millimeters of difference here, but it matters with ear-interaction for Universal fit IEMS and FR.

I do wonder what the Baroque are like along with the Corrier. However, I feel like the brass tips would be worse as they have the largest stand-off distance with that collar. @Auricon Do you have experience with either of these on the frontier?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #5,964 of 6,233
Just been rocking my Rn6 CIEMs on a trip out, they sound *insane*. If anyone is on the fence I’d take the plunge. Especially for the kinetic feeling.

I think they’re quite sensitive to source though- I didn’t enjoy them as much with my Btr7. Gone back to my Qudelix 5K so I could tweak with EQ more and have got them just perfect.

Been such a fun ride, shame I have to get off at my home stop soon!

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #5,965 of 6,233

You really just have to experiment a bunch. Ideally you want to look at tips with a short profile, and a short stem, so that you can get a deep-ish fit with the body of the RN6.

I do wonder what the Baroque are like along with the Corrier. However, I feel like the brass tips would be worse as they have the largest stand-off distance with that collar. @Auricon Do you have experience with either of these on the frontier?

You are right about the Coreir Brass. They don't really facilitate a good fit for RN6 or bcd IEMs in general for the reason you stated. The Baroque tips seem like a solid option though; I can't really get them to work with RN6 that well, but they're great on Spartacus.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #5,967 of 6,233

Trying the W1 with RN6 now, really nice isolation and comfort, imaging precision is definitely improved. Bass response is slightly improved, mids presence is a bit more forward, treble is much improved over stock imo, just smoother and airier. I'm a big fan of this pairing.

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #5,968 of 6,233
17055691508464256024450960604209.jpg

Had just a little time 30 minutes testing early morning with newly arrived Code23 cable ( Shanling M9+>Code23>Xe6 Ciem) preliminary impression is very good 🙋it seems to add some character and improves on tonal balance for mids timbral behavior ( which is quite excellent already , reference grade on xe6 ) , layering of some parts seems improved too

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #5,969 of 6,233
I like the industrial heavy/sturdy feel and look of the cable, will see with time if the stiffness will give me problems on portable use ..
more impressions to come when i have had more time with it , very positive at moment ✨

Users who are viewing this thread

Back