Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 28, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #5,881 of 6,233
[cross post from the Watercooler thread]

Before I move on to headphones, I thought I would throw on the Bellos X4 demo unit that @Uncle Wilson from Jaben SG had sent as part of their care package. I am familiar with the FIR Frontier series, again courtesy of Jaben SG previously. I recall @Deezel177 had previously explained that the Bellos IEMs are not meant to be coloured but more given to clarity and transparency. On initial listen, it does remind me of (from another context I am familiar with, the estats/Stax world) of the SR-X mk3 Pro: linear, revealing, dense while not being boring in any way.

Will give it and the rest of the Bellos range more of a listen over the next few days before they go back to @Uncle Wilson . :)

IMG_1702.jpeg

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #5,882 of 6,233
I am trying something that synergies better with xe6 then m8 ( warm and a bit slow ), valuing your advice against sp3k and r8II /and someone other for m9+ and lpgt -which I was asking you about , too,
i am more inclined towards these last two daps
Mojo2 vs the world.

Dec 29, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #5,884 of 6,233
Question for @twister6 or @Auricon
Have you tried the red atom in the XE6?
If yes, how would you rate the expansion or closure of staging compared to the Rn6 atom rolling between red and gold (silver being reference point)

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #5,885 of 6,233
If yes, how would you rate the expansion or closure of staging compared to the Rn6 atom rolling between red and gold (silver being reference point)

I’ll have a roll and listen this weekend when I arrive home tomorrow.

Dec 30, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #5,886 of 6,233
Red atom. This is the way.

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #5,891 of 6,233

Rolled red atom in XE6 paired with stock Scorpion-C and Cayin N30LE in P+, M gain, solid state timbre. How I hear staging – its consistent across all modules, there's less isolation going from silver to red with more clarity in the mids allowing for more contrast between low and upper mids which you could equate to improved soundstage but I don't hear expansion and XE6's full signature is still very present.

Personally, cabling rolling had more of an affect than modules. ET OTL, despite being a copper cable, with it's U-shaped sound signature does a remarkable job improving bass, mids clarity and treble extension has been my personal favorite pairing including EA CODE23.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #5,892 of 6,233
Rolled red atom in XE6 paired with stock Scorpion-C and Cayin N30LE in P+, M gain, solid state timbre. How I hear staging – its consistent across all modules, there's less isolation going from silver to red with more clarity in the mids allowing for more contrast between low and upper mids which you could equate to improved soundstage but I don't hear expansion and XE6's full signature is still very present.

Personally, cabling rolling had more of an affect than modules. ET OTL, despite being a copper cable, with it's U-shaped sound signature does a remarkable job improving bass, mids clarity and treble extension has been my personal favorite pairing including EA CODE23.
I too am waiting on the Code 24! Is the 23 really that stiff? Thank you for your impressions, and Happy New Year!

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #5,893 of 6,233
I too am waiting on the Code 24! Is the 23 really that stiff? Thank you for your impressions, and Happy New Year!

CODE 23 thick gauge solid core surrounded by 12 multi-sized core bundles is stuff but very malleable / "shape-able". The issue for many is the earhooks and weight – if you turned your head frequently, it loosens your IEM seal eventually popping them out. Personally it's been a non-issue, I use Crystals which has slightly tacky ear tips and shape the ear wires in a way to reduce the cable from loosening my IEM seal.

From what I read, CODE 24 is thinner gauge which should improve ergonomics.

Glad to help and have a safe, healthy Happy New Year!

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #5,895 of 6,233
RN6, good seal, nice portable DAP, Kinetic bass to the rescue. In the middle of Music and Nature. Awesome experience :)

Frame-01-01-2024-09-44-01.jpg

Absolutely epic!

Just don't rock the boat...don't want to deep six your RN6 lol. Happy new year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back