Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 8, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #5,611 of 6,233
Has anybody compared RN6 vs Annihilator 2023?
I own both. I've only had Annihilator for a week so still getting to know it's signature. I've owned RN6 since launch.

I'm finding them to be quite different in many ways. I've not had time to sit down and really A/B them yet but hope to do that this weekend.

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #5,612 of 6,233
I own both. I've only had Annihilator for a week so still getting to know it's signature. I've owned RN6 since launch.

I'm finding them to be quite different in many ways. I've not had time to sit down and really A/B them yet but hope to do that this weekend.
I've been really looking forward to this - can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Dec 8, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #5,614 of 6,233
I've been really looking forward to this - can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Looking forward to your thoughts.
Hoping to have some solid A/B time an evening this weekend to properly compare them. I'll be sure to report back.

I will say, both are excellent IEMs with each having attributes that I prefer slightly over the other. Fortunate to have both in my small collection.

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #5,615 of 6,233
Sometimes when the bass on RN6 hits, it sounds like it's coming from outside the room or something. It's crazy. Even a few times, I've been almost startled thinking someone dropped their deadlifting weights somewhere nearby lol.

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #5,616 of 6,233
Sometimes when the bass on RN6 hits, it sounds like it's coming from outside the room or something. It's crazy. Even a few times, I've been almost startled thinking someone dropped their deadlifting weights somewhere nearby lol.
Listening to Hendrix's live Albums is a treat on em. Also some well recorded ASMR on YouTube will make you think something was dropped downstairs 🤣

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #5,617 of 6,233
This is a mostly-accurate comparison, although I disagree that "the RN6 ... emphasis is more on the mid-bass when compared."

The opposite is true imho, Annihilator mid-bass and lower mids are notably more emphasised vs Rn6, which has deeper and more powerful SUB-bass instead. It's this, coupled with Anni's more forward treble, that makes the two a nice complement to each other.

For me, that mid-bass warmth that Annihilator has makes it much more engaging and captivating to listen to, whereas I found Rn6 to take a more conventional approach by comparison.

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #5,618 of 6,233
This is a mostly-accurate comparison, although I disagree that "the RN6 ... emphasis is more on the mid-bass when compared."

The opposite is true imho, Annihilator mid-bass and lower mids are notably more emphasised vs Rn6, which has deeper and more powerful SUB-bass instead. It's this, coupled with Anni's more forward treble, that makes the two a nice complement to each other.

For me, that mid-bass warmth that Annihilator has makes it much more engaging and captivating to listen to, whereas I found Rn6 to take a more conventional approach by comparison.
I agree my annihilator 2021 also has forward midbass and I can imagine the 2023 has even more

Dec 9, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #5,619 of 6,233
Has anybody compared RN6 vs Annihilator 2023?
TME, the Annihilator is superior in every aspect, except for the smooth implementation of RN6's sub bass. IMHO if the Annihilator 23 had any "weaknesss", it would be my perceived "lack" of one or two extra ounces of sub bass. In clarity, staging, resolution, mids / timbre and most of all the effortless, energetic and always smooth treble, Annihilator scores against RN6. With that said, I do enjoy the RN6 a lot and listen to them regularly. And everytime I do, they cause a massive grin on my face. Listening to almost every genre is effortless and works so well. As mentioned, especially because of it's controlled bass capabilities that can rumble deep and round if called for.

When I listen to the Annihilator, I'm stunned every single time. It always causes a "Wow". This is the Fir thread so I will leave it with that. :wink: To me, they definitely are complementary and quite different in the way they sound. Even though the Annihilator 23 is the best IEM I have heard, I would not want to miss the RN6 due to it's ease in playing back all types of music effortless and engaging. It just feels "natural" and "musical" and allows me to focus on things (if I really want to) compared to the Anni where I don't have one single cycle of my awareness left to focus on anything else than my listening.

Dec 9, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #5,620 of 6,233
TME, the Annihilator is superior in every aspect, except for the smooth implementation of RN6's sub bass. IMHO if the Annihilator 23 had any "weaknesss", it would be my perceived "lack" of one or two extra ounces of sub bass. In clarity, staging, resolution, mids / timbre and most of all the effortless, energetic and always smooth treble, Annihilator scores against RN6. With that said, I do enjoy the RN6 a lot and listen to them regularly. And everytime I do, they cause a massive grin on my face. Listening to almost every genre is effortless and works so well. As mentioned, especially because of it's controlled bass capabilities that can rumble deep and round if called for.

When I listen to the Annihilator, I'm stunned every single time. It always causes a "Wow". This is the Fir thread so I will leave it with that. :wink: To me, they definitely are complementary and quite different in the way they sound. Even though the Annihilator 23 is the best IEM I have heard, I would not want to miss the RN6 due to it's ease in playing back all types of music effortless and engaging. It just feels "natural" and "musical" and allows me to focus on things (if I really want to) compared to the Anni where I don't have one single cycle of my awareness left to focus on anything else than my listening.
IMO to really appreciate the Frontier series and to compare it with other IEMs, you have to use it on a quiet environment due to the open vented kinetic bass so it counts as an open back IEM or by order it as a CIEM. I used to have RN6 too but I sell it for funding my Fei Wan. My main problem with RN6 is my wife keep pestering me to turn down the volume everytime I listen to it (I'm a loud listener at 44-45 on High gain on my N30AP 😂) and I have a hard time to find the correct eartips, plus it turns out I prefer the exciting sound of XE6 🤣

Dec 9, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #5,621 of 6,233
IMO to really appreciate the Frontier series and to compare it with other IEMs, you have to use it on a quiet environment due to the open vented kinetic bass so it counts as an open back IEM or by order it as a CIEM. I used to have RN6 too but I sell it for funding my Fei Wan. My main problem with RN6 is my wife keep pestering me to turn down the volume everytime I listen to it (I'm a loud listener at 44-45 on High gain on my N30AP 😂) and I have a hard time to find the correct eartips, plus it turns out I prefer the exciting sound of XE6 🤣
Keep going at that volume and soon enough you won't be able to hear what your wife is saying with or without IEMs 🤭😅

Dec 9, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #5,623 of 6,233
What seem to be the go-to tips for the RN6? I haven’t been able to find something that truly makes the kinetic bass everyone seems to be enamoured with.

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #5,624 of 6,233
I have all the top dogs of dongles RU7, L&P, Ifi Bar, M15 but the L&P W4 is the only dongle that is literally noiseless to me, which is a plus for the RN6. Actually a plus to all IEMs.

I use the RN6 daily with the RU7 and absolutly love it. Far better than the Hiby R6 2020 I also use (but not with the RN6). Can you tell a bit about the W4 compared with the RU7 in combination with the RN6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back