Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 1, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #5,581 of 6,244
RN6 + CP-100 Plus + OC Studio Frozen + A100TB (stock amp) + PS100Pro. If possible give it a try. Completely transformed the RN6 into something else. Way better everything, but still retains its characters. Soundstage is not just bigger, it's huge.

I'm also using CP100s and for me, that was the secret ingredient I was missing. For the first several days of having my RN6, I really thought they were amazing, but I wasn't sure if I was getting the kinetic bass effect(I wasn't). Thankfully, I kept tip rolling. I get it now. It was actually a strange sensation at first, and it made the bass feel very much present despite using the red modules(using black currently). It almost feels like a weight on my head, literally. I can literally feel the weight of the bass. The bass can feel substantial and immersive without impacting the cleanliness of the mids AT ALL since at least part of the bass presentation is being delivered via bone conduction, as opposed to the bass that you're hearing. And of course, bass texture is unbelievably good.

Starting to feel like I got a bargain at the Black Friday price. :L3000: (I do wish the cable were modular for use with my devices with 3.5, but it's a small complaint)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #5,582 of 6,244
I'm also using CP100s and for me, that was the secret ingredient I was missing. For the first several days of having my RN6, I really thought they were amazing, but I wasn't sure if I was getting the kinetic bass effect(I wasn't). Thankfully, I kept tip rolling. I get it now. It was actually a strange sensation at first, and it made the bass feel very much present despite using the red modules(using black currently). It almost feels like a weight on my head, literally. I can literally feel the weight of the bass. The bass can feel substantial and immersive without impacting the cleanliness of the mids AT ALL since at least part of the bass presentation is being delivered via bone conduction, as opposed to the bass that you're hearing. And of course, bass texture is unbelievably good.

Starting to feel like I got a bargain at the Black Friday price. :L3000: (I do wish the cable were modular for use with my devices with 3.5, but it's a small complaint)
It's like having two subwoofers in your ears :). Definitely not lacking bass compared to other (if not most) IEMs. Stock cable is good for what it does. I tried Copper, Cleo II OCTA, etc.. and the best combo was the Frozen. More clarity, separations, and better soundstage. Bass quantity/quality remains the same (good), but felt fuller. Adding in the A100TB is another story. Music and sound came from everywhere. Couldn't stop listening :gs1000smile:

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #5,583 of 6,244

CP100s is a good match too IMO. Try this for 3.5mm connection. Didn't seem to degrade the sound too much. https://www.amazon.com/SHANLING-Balanced-3-5mm-4-4mm-Portable-Earphones/dp/B0BPRSPN4V

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #5,584 of 6,244

The DDHiFi 90 degree adapter is my favorite (for use with mojo) I got some cheap straight adapter for 4.4>3.5mm>1/4"

https://audio46.com/products/dd-ddh...QonW2lKsypNoyTrkzfDPK-7IHXtNzLNxoCo-oQAvD_BwE

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #5,586 of 6,244
You should try the AZLA Crystal's if you have not yet. I was a huge earfit light fan, but then moved on to the Xelastic with the MEST MK2 since they maintained the BCD contact the best.... and once more, tried out the Divinus Velvet's and while they ARE luxurious and feel, seat, and sound great... they just aren't as good. They collapse the sound stage, comparitively, to the crystals and the Xelastic. However, the crystals do bass better for me than the Xelastics.

NOTE: Xelastic always half size down. Crystals and the rest of AZLA's line, just get whatever size you would with spinfit or anyone else.

That Aroma A100TB is really cool! First I've seen it! Where does OC have a market place/take orders? Their website seems informative only. Great looking cable.
Will try the Crystals and Xelastics. For some reason, I never dig the Velvets and totally with you on the collapsed soundstage.
Contact David via Messenger @ https://www.facebook.com/OriginalCableStudio/. Wonderful person to work with. Quick turnaround.
If interested in the A100TB and can't get discounts anywhere, I can point you to a few sources.

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #5,588 of 6,244
Personally don't EQ my IEMs and will roll a combination of tips, cables and DAPs as needed. Tips being the most effective.

Dec 1, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #5,592 of 6,244
Would be interested to know how people here EQ their Rn6. Does anyone shelf down the top end. I find it very spicy sometimes.
I do the same. It really depends on the tips and atom module for me but I can barely use red and black module with the Rn6 because the treble tends to be sibilant sometimes with certain songs with hi-hats. I tried different tips and most sound good, even excellent, with Rn6 but I'm just too treble sensitive that I often stick with tips that dampen the treble a bit, strictly use the gold module, and eq the treble down a bit. Thankfully, I don't face the same issue with the Xe6 but use the black module with that iem to balance the sound more.

Dec 1, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #5,593 of 6,244
I do the same. It really depends on the tips and atom module for me but I can barely use red and black module with the Rn6 because the treble tends to be sibilant sometimes with certain songs with hi-hats. I tried different tips and most sound good, even excellent, with Rn6 but I'm just too treble sensitive that I often stick with tips that dampen the treble a bit, strictly use the gold module, and eq the treble down a bit. Thankfully, I don't face the same issue with the Xe6 but use the black module with that iem to balance the sound more.
I'm using the red module on Xe6, and it does sound a lot more like an Rn6 with more bass.

Dec 1, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #5,594 of 6,244
Would be interested to know how people here EQ their Rn6. Does anyone shelf down the top end. I find it very spicy sometimes.
I would EQ in a bass shelf of about 3-4db from 250hz downwards, that might offset that spiciness. Or just get an Xe6 that has no spiciness at all. :wink:

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #5,595 of 6,244
Grateful to be part of the Australian tour of the NE4, XE6 and RN6 arranged by @Damz87, Minidisc Australia and Fir Audio!

Wrote my reviews for the:
Overall, the common strand between all three was just the sheer technical capabilities of the 10mm Kinetic Bass DD which is just wonderful. But out of the three, if I had to live with one as a daily driver, I would have to go with the RN6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back