Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 9, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #5,627 of 6,244
What seem to be the go-to tips for the RN6? I haven’t been able to find something that truly makes the kinetic bass everyone seems to be enamoured with.
Crystals. or Xelastic. I prefer Crystals for the sub-bass being a hair better and they're less sticky and will last longer. Both tips are 22$ for 2 sets, at least in the states. Wide-bore in general will be better on these iems.

NOTE: Order 1/2 size down in Xelastic or they wont fit.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #5,629 of 6,244
Crystals. or Xelastic. I prefer Crystals for the sub-bass being a hair better and they're less sticky and will last longer. Both tips are 22$ for 2 sets, at least in the states. Wide-bore in general will be better on these iems.

NOTE: Order 1/2 size down in Xelastic or they wont fit.

Does crystals/xelastics give a significant improvement soundwise coming from stock tips?

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #5,630 of 6,244
Does crystals/xelastics give a significant improvement soundwise coming from stock tips?
I think symbio's are abhorrent; muddy bass, narrow stage, sharp upper mids/lower treble. Both wide nozzles give better staging and sound over stock. I've got a tackle box full of Symbio W and Peels (old ones), Final E, Crystal, Xelastic, Foams (non descript), Azla Earfit Lights and Standard. I re-ordered Crystal's in M and MS for all my IEM's. The first tips i went with for long nozzle were CP360's as they were shorts, but they were kinda just all bass and narrow nozzle (that nozzle elastic, the colored bit) wore out after regular cleaning (remove and replace) causing them to free spin.

Edit: I also have fresh Divinus Velvets which ARE nice. But not better than Crystals for me... collapse the stage a bit on Rn6 (red Atom)... waste of 20$. Maybe i'll throw em on my Andromeda Gold's when those AZLA lights wear out.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #5,631 of 6,244
Been spending some time with the FIR E12 demo unit from Jaben SG courtesy of @Uncle Wilson.

I don’t see much talk about the E12, even on this thread. My guess is that it is still being released and most encounters with it will be at the shows. One thing I did notice about it is that the stock silicon ear tips did not quite fit me. Which is unusual. The foam tips did a great job however. Unlike the usual foam tips, it seems a bit longer to fit the longer nozzle and it does not impair the treble extension which is good. I am currently using them with Eletetech’s Baroque ear tips.

It is still early days but it is nice to have a single DD that covers the full range of the sound spectrum. I am sure it will continue to evolve and open up further as it burns in. When I had fit issues with the stock ear tips, I will confess that I thought the E12 sounded terrible. But once I got the right ear tips, I found the E12 very enjoyable.

The other thing I have noticed about the E12 is it seems to be pretty easy to drive.

IMG_1276.jpeg

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #5,632 of 6,244
Been spending some time with the FIR E12 demo unit from Jaben SG courtesy of @Uncle Wilson.

I don’t see much talk about the E12, even on this thread. My guess is that it is still being released and most encounters with it will be at the shows. One thing I did notice about it is that the stock silicon ear tips did not quite fit me. Which is unusual. The foam tips did a great job however. Unlike the usual foam tips, it seems a bit longer to fit the longer nozzle and it does not impair the treble extension which is good. I am currently using them with Eletetech’s Baroque ear tips.

It is still early days but it is nice to have a single DD that covers the full range of the sound spectrum. I am sure it will continue to evolve and open up further as it burns in. When I had fit issues with the stock ear tips, I will confess that I thought the E12 sounded terrible. But once I got the right ear tips, I found the E12 very enjoyable.

The other thing I have noticed about the E12 is it seems to be pretty easy to drive.

IMG_1276.jpeg
Gotta include impressions on the DMP!

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #5,633 of 6,244
Dec 10, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #5,634 of 6,244

Oh wow single DD? i need to try that!

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #5,635 of 6,244
Oh wow single DD? i need to try that!
Yeah... I have a soft spot for single DD IEMs. Tuning is such a challenge to get a full range IEM. Well, I will say that the mids are really nuanced. Hope you have a place near you to try out the demo. Do remember what I cautioned about ear tips. :)

Dec 10, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #5,636 of 6,244

Seems like I'm the only E12 owner that pre-ordered and posted so far.

Ja, fit and eartips are important for E12 to make the most of its Tactile Bass and signature. My go to are Crystals which maintain bass and impact.

Question, does your demo unit have mesh screens in the nozzle?

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #5,637 of 6,244

My most fav is Spinfit W1.

Agree @OhmsClaw that the standard eartips somehow a bit muddy and sharp at the same time. Not to mention that W1 prove bigger soundstage image as well.

Dec 10, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #5,638 of 6,244
Seems like I'm the only E12 owner that pre-ordered and posted so far.

Ja, fit and eartips are important for E12 to make the most of its Tactile Bass and signature. My go to are Crystals which maintain bass and impact.

Question, does your demo unit have mesh screens in the nozzle?
what should I be looking for? :)

Dec 10, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #5,639 of 6,244
what should I be looking for? :)

Does the demo E12, nozzles does it have a protective mesh screen to prevent debris from entering the IEM or is it open/no screen as shown with my E12 (see attached)?

All of my IEMs have a mesh covered nozzle except for E12.

IMG_0488.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #5,640 of 6,244
I use the RN6 daily with the RU7 and absolutely love it. Far better than the Hiby R6 2020 I also use (but not with the RN6). Can you tell a bit about the W4 compared with the RU7 in combination with the RN6?

Personally I find it difficult to compare the RU7 to the W4 because the possible configuration that the W4s can do is too vast. However, the W4 in it's default configuration is a tad more neutral, slightly clearer details and slightly thinner sounding compared to the RU7 which I find, has a thicker and warmer tone. That being said, the W4 in some configurations can sound warm and thick as well.

Hence in the original post, I focussed about the background noise part, which is the most obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back