Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 2, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #5,596 of 6,234
The amount of detail that the RN6 puts out is just ridiculous. Makes me want to sit up and really listen everytime. It sounds very life like, instruments have a lot of air and sense of space, and voices are immediate. Positional accuracy is excellent. However, I also think the Rn6 is very unforgiving. The top end exposes poor mixes, in particular snares and hi-hats. It’ll sound as if something about their amplitude or attack/decay is overcooked and music can loose a bit of cohesion. I’m guessing it’s a result of placing the open high driver in the canal stem. Sound arrives at your ear with a particular character, free of reflections and with lightning speed. It’s an extremely detailed sound which at times, can be brutally honest.

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #5,597 of 6,234
The amount of detail that the RN6 puts out is just ridiculous. Makes me want to sit up and really listen everytime. It sounds very life like, instruments have a lot of air and sense of space, and voices are immediate. Positional accuracy is excellent. However, I also think the Rn6 is very unforgiving. The top end exposes poor mixes, in particular snares and hi-hats. It’ll sound as if something about their amplitude or attack/decay is overcooked and music can loose a bit of cohesion. I’m guessing it’s a result of placing the open high driver in the canal stem. Sound arrives at your ear with a particular character, free of reflections and with lightning speed. It’s an extremely detailed sound which at times, can be brutally honest.
That's what I noticed right away when running through my roster of test tracks :ksc75smile:

Some of those incl:
Fame - David Bowie (very satisfying when the drums kick in)
Space Oddity - David Bowie (who knew they could layer vocals so well back then?)
Roundabout(2003 Remaster) - Yes
Playing God - Polyphia
The Sound of Silence (Acoustic Version) - Simon & Garfunkle (so well done especially retaining the recording space)
Travelin' Man(Remastered) - Ricky Nelson (great exercise in stereo)
Over the Hills and Far Away(Remaster) - Led Zeppelin (perfect timbre test and great track)
Cumberland Blues (2013 Remaster vs 2020 Remaster vs OG) - Grateful Dead (3 different presentations of a mix)
St. Stephen (Live at the Filmore West) - off the Long Strange Strip Motion Picture Soundtrack - Grateful Dead (it gets the PEOPLE GOING!)

Between the Evo and the Rn6, back-to-back, some tracks seem "too wide", but the separation is surgical. They both portray space in different ways that are both enjoyable, however, both reveal poor mixes and recordings in a way where you kinda just accept that "that's what they were working with back then" or end up preferring another re-master I didn't prefer originally (shout out to the Grateful Dead's many re-mastered albums).

Since between these two examples snare and hi-hats aren't an issue but do get different "room to breathe" or "sizzle in space" which is fun (especially between mojo2 output only and inserting the SA-1 in the chain, the output/total impedance had much more effect on the Legend Evo than the Rn6) I noticed vocals were much more up front and center dominating spatial queues. While information wasn't really lost it was much harder to appreciate.

The track in question really is a good test of snares/space/acoustic transients as well as vocal timbre. I'm going to run through it with Red vs Silver vs Black as well (mojo2 only). Track ID = OoOo - whereismylove? - Single [licensed to Genie Music]
Time stamps of note: Intro - 0:09 (the crowd noise either has an ambient quality or appears like a canned VFX then strumming) | 0:18 (how her main vocals are presented timbre wise and stage wise) | 0:27 (can you hear the layered whisper vocals?) | 0:41 (how does that hit sizzle in space? merely to your left or does it "breathe" in space) | 1:06 - 1:20 (does that pitter patter effect wander around or just pan L/R?) | 1:24 (where does that electric guitar appear?) | 1:41 (can you pick out another layered whispery vocal?)

Edit: @grumpy213 saw you used IU as a test track for Rn6 you might appreciate the above^ all her stuff 2022 and on is a treat from an engineering standpoint and with her ethereal vocals with BYE1393, Alone (2023). (Also Mia's Like a Fool, orgel, and Take Care along with Heize's Lyricist)

There's a lot going on here that isn't readily appreciable on the Solaris SE or Andro and is missed entirely unless you're dead focused on info you already knew was there. The MEST MK2 does perform much better for these details but doesn't hold a candle to the Evo/Radon.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #5,598 of 6,234
Alright guys, let's see if the Hype train of these beasts keeps rolling or is stuck in a train station somewhere... :p

Finally got my hands on Xe6 and RN6 at the same time as part of the Australian tour organise by @Damz87 and Minidisc. After owning Kr5 and tried Xe6 multiple times in different occasions. I was really looking forward to this opportunity.

Disclaimer

As an audiophile, IEM enthusiast and far from a professional review… I write my impressions mostly from the point of view of a proper customer that will use this daily, in commute, at work, doing dishes, drinking a whisky… Remember, audio experiences are subjective, and what resonates with one might not with another. YMMV (I hate this...but it's true). Let's dive into this sonic journey with an open mind and ears.

Introduction

The Fir Audio Xe6 and RN6 are two very strong contenders in the IEM arena. While the Xe6, with its profound low-end and energetic delivery, seems tailored for Hip-hop's deep beats and the raw energy of classic Metal, the RN6 emerges with a safe, balanced, yet occasionally bright sound signature. Well… In this impressions I want to go deep into these hype holders. I will use songs that are relevant to my preferences and use cases as usual. I will walk through it especially through the lens of Metal bands like Metallica and Hip-hop icons like Eminem, Lil Wayne, and Wiz Khalifa.

IMG_0041.jpeg

Fir Audio Xe6: A Beast Unleashed

The Xe6, right out of the box, establishes itself as a powerhouse. When you play something as intense as Metallica's "Master of Puppets," the Xe6 doesn't just play the track; it smashes the sound into your brain. The low-end is where the Xe6 truly shines - it’s deep, textured, and incredibly defined. Each kick drum hit feels like a punch, and the bass lines are rich and full-bodied, bringing weight and realism to the music. Feels like you're at a live concert with L-Acoustic Speakers blasting heavy and full sound into you.

IMG_0045.jpeg

Transitioning to Hip-hop, the Xe6 continues to impress. Eminem's rapid-fire verses in "Lose Yourself" are delivered with crystal clarity, and the underlying bass line drives the track forward without overpowering the mids presentation. In Lil Wayne's "Lollipop," the Xe6 reveals its ability to handle deep, synthetic bass, while maintaining control and definition. I usually use this song to kill bad treble IEMs, but due to Xe6's great dynamic range, everything ends up balanced. Wiz Khalifa's "Black and Yellow" further showcases the Xe6's capability to render bass lines with depth and texture, making each track a head-bobbing experience.

RN6: The Balanced Cousin

In contrast, the RN6 offers a more balanced sound signature. While it handles the complexities of Metallica's guitar riffs and solos with ease, providing a clean and detailed presentation, it occasionally leans towards brightness. This isespecially noticeable in the higher frequencies of cymbals and high hats. However, this brightness does not detract significantly from the overall listening experience. It will end up being a matter of preference. I personally like Metal songs' heavy hits. The feeling of anger when kicking the drums.

IMG_0049.jpeg

In the Hip-hop streets, the RN6’s balanced approach is appreciated. Eminem's intricate lyrics are presented with clarity that brings forward his storytelling nuances. The RN6, however, doesn't quite match the Xe6 in low-end rumble. Tracks like Lil Wayne's "Mirror" and Wiz Khalifa's "See You Again" are rendered beautifully, but the bass, while accurate and clean, lacks the visceral impact that the Xe6 delivers.

Comparing Xe6 and RN6

The main and most obvious difference between the two IEMs lies in their approach to music reproduction. The Xe6 is like a muscle car - raw, powerful, and exhilarating, especially suited to genres that demand energy and depth. On the other hand, the RN6 is more like a luxury sedan - balanced, comfortable, and refined, excellent for a wide range of genres but lacking the raw power in the lower frequencies.

IMG_0050.jpeg

Xe6: Stock Cable vs. Eros S The Xe6's stock cable is great in its own right, delivering a robust and full-bodied sound that complements the IEM’s natural low end prowess. But when swapped for Eros S, the impact is evident. The Eros S doesn’t just enhance the sound; it elevates a bit each front. It improves clarity and detail retrieval. The lower midrange, a standout feature of the Xe6, gains a level of articulation that adds depth to tracks like Metallica’s “Enter Sandman,” where the complexity of the guitar layers becomes more pronounced. Additionally, the soundstage opens up, lending a more immersive experience, this can be seen even in Wiz Khalifa's "Black and Yellow."

RN6: Stock Cable vs. Eros S With the RN6, the stock cable impressed me more than Xe6's, it feels and sounds good. It maintains a balanced presentation. However, once the Eros S steps in, the RN6’s slightly bright characteristic is complemented with crispness and airiness. Eminem’s “The Real Slim Shady” shows this well, where the Eros S brings forward the subtleties in the background beat, enhancing the overall texture. The improvement is particularly beneficial for the RN6, lending more space and separation between instruments. This is quite noticeable on complex tracks like Metallica’s “Orion.”

IMG_0058.jpeg

Final Thoughts

Both the Fir Audio Xe6 and RN6 excel in their respective fields. The Xe6, with its remarkable lower mid-range and robust build, is an excellent companion for Hip-hop's thumping beats and Metal's aggressive energy. The RN6, with its balanced and slightly bright signature, offers a more versatile listening experience. However, it doesn’t evoke the same emotional response in bass-heavy tracks, at least for my tastes. For someone whose library is dominated by Hip-hop and Metal, the Xe6 is a clear winner. However, for those seeking a balanced, all-rounder IEM, the RN6 holds its ground. The decision ultimately comes down to personal preference and the type of music that fuels your soul. Usually, the IEM that really gets the best of me is the one that makes me want to kick back after a hard workday, open a beer or pour a whisky and just relax. For me, Xe6 would be that one between these two.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #5,599 of 6,234
Alright guys, let's see if the Hype train of these beasts keeps rolling or is stuck in a train station somewhere... :p

Finally got my hands on Xe6 and RN6 at the same time as part of the Australian tour organise by @Damz87 and Minidisc. After owning Kr5 and tried Xe6 multiple times in different occasions. I was really looking forward to this opportunity.

Disclaimer

As an audiophile, IEM enthusiast and far from a professional review… I write my impressions mostly from the point of view of a proper customer that will use this daily, in commute, at work, doing dishes, drinking a whisky… Remember, audio experiences are subjective, and what resonates with one might not with another. YMMV (I hate this...but it's true). Let's dive into this sonic journey with an open mind and ears.

Introduction

The Fir Audio Xe6 and RN6 are two very strong contenders in the IEM arena. While the Xe6, with its profound low-end and energetic delivery, seems tailored for Hip-hop's deep beats and the raw energy of classic Metal, the RN6 emerges with a safe, balanced, yet occasionally bright sound signature. Well… In this impressions I want to go deep into these hype holders. I will use songs that are relevant to my preferences and use cases as usual. I will walk through it especially through the lens of Metal bands like Metallica and Hip-hop icons like Eminem, Lil Wayne, and Wiz Khalifa.

IMG_0041.jpeg

Fir Audio Xe6: A Beast Unleashed

The Xe6, right out of the box, establishes itself as a powerhouse. When you play something as intense as Metallica's "Master of Puppets," the Xe6 doesn't just play the track; it smashes the sound into your brain. The low-end is where the Xe6 truly shines - it’s deep, textured, and incredibly defined. Each kick drum hit feels like a punch, and the bass lines are rich and full-bodied, bringing weight and realism to the music. Feels like you're at a live concert with L-Acoustic Speakers blasting heavy and full sound into you.

IMG_0045.jpeg

Transitioning to Hip-hop, the Xe6 continues to impress. Eminem's rapid-fire verses in "Lose Yourself" are delivered with crystal clarity, and the underlying bass line drives the track forward without overpowering the mids presentation. In Lil Wayne's "Lollipop," the Xe6 reveals its ability to handle deep, synthetic bass, while maintaining control and definition. I usually use this song to kill bad treble IEMs, but due to Xe6's great dynamic range, everything ends up balanced. Wiz Khalifa's "Black and Yellow" further showcases the Xe6's capability to render bass lines with depth and texture, making each track a head-bobbing experience.

RN6: The Balanced Cousin

In contrast, the RN6 offers a more balanced sound signature. While it handles the complexities of Metallica's guitar riffs and solos with ease, providing a clean and detailed presentation, it occasionally leans towards brightness. This isespecially noticeable in the higher frequencies of cymbals and high hats. However, this brightness does not detract significantly from the overall listening experience. It will end up being a matter of preference. I personally like Metal songs' heavy hits. The feeling of anger when kicking the drums.

IMG_0049.jpeg

In the Hip-hop streets, the RN6’s balanced approach is appreciated. Eminem's intricate lyrics are presented with clarity that brings forward his storytelling nuances. The RN6, however, doesn't quite match the Xe6 in low-end rumble. Tracks like Lil Wayne's "Mirror" and Wiz Khalifa's "See You Again" are rendered beautifully, but the bass, while accurate and clean, lacks the visceral impact that the Xe6 delivers.

Comparing Xe6 and RN6

The main and most obvious difference between the two IEMs lies in their approach to music reproduction. The Xe6 is like a muscle car - raw, powerful, and exhilarating, especially suited to genres that demand energy and depth. On the other hand, the RN6 is more like a luxury sedan - balanced, comfortable, and refined, excellent for a wide range of genres but lacking the raw power in the lower frequencies.

IMG_0050.jpeg

Xe6: Stock Cable vs. Eros S The Xe6's stock cable is great in its own right, delivering a robust and full-bodied sound that complements the IEM’s natural low end prowess. But when swapped for Eros S, the impact is evident. The Eros S doesn’t just enhance the sound; it elevates a bit each front. It improves clarity and detail retrieval. The lower midrange, a standout feature of the Xe6, gains a level of articulation that adds depth to tracks like Metallica’s “Enter Sandman,” where the complexity of the guitar layers becomes more pronounced. Additionally, the soundstage opens up, lending a more immersive experience, this can be seen even in Wiz Khalifa's "Black and Yellow."

RN6: Stock Cable vs. Eros S With the RN6, the stock cable impressed me more than Xe6's, it feels and sounds good. It maintains a balanced presentation. However, once the Eros S steps in, the RN6’s slightly bright characteristic is complemented with crispness and airiness. Eminem’s “The Real Slim Shady” shows this well, where the Eros S brings forward the subtleties in the background beat, enhancing the overall texture. The improvement is particularly beneficial for the RN6, lending more space and separation between instruments. This is quite noticeable on complex tracks like Metallica’s “Orion.”

IMG_0058.jpeg

Final Thoughts

Both the Fir Audio Xe6 and RN6 excel in their respective fields. The Xe6, with its remarkable lower mid-range and robust build, is an excellent companion for Hip-hop's thumping beats and Metal's aggressive energy. The RN6, with its balanced and slightly bright signature, offers a more versatile listening experience. However, it doesn’t evoke the same emotional response in bass-heavy tracks, at least for my tastes. For someone whose library is dominated by Hip-hop and Metal, the Xe6 is a clear winner. However, for those seeking a balanced, all-rounder IEM, the RN6 holds its ground. The decision ultimately comes down to personal preference and the type of music that fuels your soul. Usually, the IEM that really gets the best of me is the one that makes me want to kick back after a hard workday, open a beer or pour a whisky and just relax. For me, Xe6 would be that one between these two.
Nice impressions! You make me want to hear XE6 again :)

Did you roll modules at all on RN6 or just stick with the red that’s installed in your pictures?

Dec 5, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #5,601 of 6,234
Nice impressions! You make me want to hear XE6 again :)

Did you roll modules at all on RN6 or just stick with the red that’s installed in your pictures?
Hey mate, I actually tried all of them, but the pictures are coincidently with the red one. They tune the sound a bit, but the essence of the IEM will always be there.

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #5,602 of 6,234
I have the RN6 for a few months now. Lately I got in my left ear in some songs a little bit of static crackling, I'm using a RU7 + iPhone14. So that got me worried. I tried the same song with the Hiby R6 2020, same result. I tried the same song on the Hiby with my Tia Trio, it was more of a hiss. And I tried through my desktop speakers, and it was not really noticable.

I checked the RU7, and it was on hi gain (forgot to put it back on low), and my Hiby on medium gain. When I put the RU7 on low gain it became more of a hiss.

Edit. Hmm still got static crackling on the left.

My question, is the RN6 so sensitive that it picks up a bad recording, and therefore the static? Or could something be damaged? And can high gain damage the RN6?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #5,603 of 6,234
I have the RN6 for a few months now. Lately I got in my left ear in some songs a little bit of static crackling, I'm using a RU7 + iPhone14. So that got me worried. I tried the same song with the Hiby R6 2020, same result. I tried the same song on the Hiby with my Tia Trio, it was more of a hiss. And I tried through my desktop speakers, and it was not really noticable.

I checked the RU7, and it was on hi gain (forgot to put it back on low), and my Hiby on medium gain. When I put the RU7 on low gain it became more of a hiss.

Edit. Hmm still got static crackling on the left.

My question, is the RN6 so sensitive that it picks up a bad recording, and therefore the static? Or could something be damaged? And can high gain damage the RN6?
Any amplification apparatus may damage IEMS or drivers in general when driven to an absurd volume which would have damaged your ears. The gain has nothing to do with inherently being better or worse for your iems/headphones. Easiest to troubleshoot... have you tried a different cable. Couldn't be listening to all Lo-Fi with fake vinyl crackle on it xD.

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #5,605 of 6,234
RN6 so good..

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #5,606 of 6,234
I've been long out of touch with IEM world like for around 10 years and most IEM in the market right now didn't impress me at all but holycow Radon 6 blew my mind

Does anyone have dongle recommendation for Rn6?

I have all the top dogs of dongles RU7, L&P, Ifi Bar, M15 but the L&P W4 is the only dongle that is literally noiseless to me, which is a plus for the RN6. Actually a plus to all IEMs.

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #5,607 of 6,234
I've been long out of touch with IEM world like for around 10 years and most IEM in the market right now didn't impress me at all but holycow Radon 6 blew my mind

Does anyone have dongle recommendation for Rn6?
do you want bluetooth or naw?

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #5,608 of 6,234
do you want bluetooth or naw?
Nope, don't need bluetooth

I have all the top dogs of dongles RU7, L&P, Ifi Bar, M15 but the L&P W4 is the only dongle that is literally noiseless to me, which is a plus for the RN6. Actually a plus to all IEMs.

OK i'll try W4 with Radon when i got the chance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back