Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Nov 29, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #5,567 of 6,223
Does anyone know if there are any wax guard filters available for the Rn6? I’m having to constantly clean the opening and it seems like it’s only a matter of time before something gets stuck in the mesh.

Nov 29, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #5,568 of 6,223
Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #5,569 of 6,223
Does anyone know if there are any wax guard filters available for the Rn6? I’m having to constantly clean the opening and it seems like it’s only a matter of time before something gets stuck in the mesh.

Use an IEM vac if your IEM requires daily cleaning.

Here's an example:
https://www.firaudio.com/store/iem-vac

Nov 29, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #5,570 of 6,223
The snap ring keeps the replaceable mesh screen in place. Mesh screen protects debris from entering the canal stem.

https://www.firaudio.com/technologies/rigidtech
That's a really good idea. Everyone should take a slice of it - as we say in German. I've never understood what's so complicated about designing something like this.

By the way: Massive Attack with the Xe6 is so dope!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #5,573 of 6,223
Is this just for customs or is it also recommended for universals?

You can use IEM vacs with UNI or CIEMs. You can search for "hearing aid vacuums" on Amazon for more affordable alternatives – 64Audio has a cordless IEM vac.

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #5,574 of 6,223
If the snap ring rotates it’s ok. There is a groove that holds it. It won’t come out. Some don’t move, it’s just a tolerance on the snap rings.
Sorry, but doesn't it means the ring is loose then if it rotates? When it loose then there's always a chance it will come off when we use it in our ears IMO. But you are the designer so I trust your suggestion, but for me it will be better if the ring sits tightly in the grooves :relaxed:
Still waiting for a next big thing from FiR again :L3000:

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #5,576 of 6,223
Sorry, but doesn't it means the ring is loose then if it rotates? When it loose then there's always a chance it will come off when we use it in our ears IMO. But you are the designer so I trust your suggestion, but for me it will be better if the ring sits tightly in the grooves :relaxed:
Still waiting for a next big thing from FiR again :L3000:

Snap rings in my RN6 are tight and requires a bit of effort to rotate in the IEM stem where they rotates slightly in my XE6.

If the snap ring rotates or slightly rotates, it's still in it's groove and friction plus tension of the snap ring keeps it in place. I doubt it'll pop off in normal use.

Snap rings will loose tension if you over compress the "prongs" or remove it constantly over time – I mean you have to remove them every minute every day. When you reinstall the ring, it's commonsense to check to see if it pops out to avoiding the chance it'll come off in use.

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #5,577 of 6,223
Snap rings in my RN6 are tight and requires a bit of effort to rotate in the IEM stem where they rotates slightly in my XE6.

If the snap ring rotates or slightly rotates, it's still in it's groove and friction plus tension of the snap ring keeps it in place. I doubt it'll pop off in normal use.

Snap rings will loose tension if you over compress the "prongs" or remove it constantly over time – I mean you have to remove them every minute every day. When you reinstall the ring, it's commonsense to check to see if it pops out to avoiding the chance it'll come off in use.
Our policy is we replace the snap ring every time we replace the screen. Removing it a couple times won’t make a big difference, pre install yes you can bend them out a little to increase tension. We have a kit we sell to dealers or those that request with some tools and spare screens and rings. We reserve this for more certified technicians. The goal of this was not just to make turn around quicker for us but to have authorized repair centers do these basic repairs like screen and 2 pin swaps possible.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Nov 30, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #5,578 of 6,223
Yes precisely! Would I remove it and then open it up and wedge it back in? Or best not to remove it? I tried to open it slightly with the metal side of the cleaning tool but worried about pushing the mesh in. Surprised I have to do any of this after only owning them for a couple weeks.
You got some waxy prone ears/sweaty ears? For Universals you'd have to be backing up tips to impact the mesh or have them sitting flush with widebores?

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #5,580 of 6,223
RN6 + CP-100 Plus + OC Studio Frozen + A100TB (stock amp) + PS100Pro. If possible give it a try. Completely transformed the RN6 into something else. Way better everything, but still retains its characters. Soundstage is not just bigger, it's huge.
You should try the AZLA Crystal's if you have not yet. I was a huge earfit light fan, but then moved on to the Xelastic with the MEST MK2 since they maintained the BCD contact the best.... and once more, tried out the Divinus Velvet's and while they ARE luxurious and feel, seat, and sound great... they just aren't as good. They collapse the sound stage, comparitively, to the crystals and the Xelastic. However, the crystals do bass better for me than the Xelastics.

NOTE: Xelastic always half size down. Crystals and the rest of AZLA's line, just get whatever size you would with spinfit or anyone else.

That Aroma A100TB is really cool! First I've seen it! Where does OC have a market place/take orders? Their website seems informative only. Great looking cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back