Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Nov 11, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #5,401 of 6,223
For this FIR thread, anyone else experiencing adding this thread to watch list, but watch list does not show the thread?

This has happened to me multiple times since the very start of discovering the thread and unwatching and watching does not repair this. Odd.

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #5,402 of 6,223
Nov 11, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #5,403 of 6,223
Unsure, maybe 2 weeks if I had to guess?

Nov 11, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #5,404 of 6,223
Woah! Our ears looked remarkably similar!

PXL_20231029_101132808.jpg
With you saying it, I started to really look at them, and only now just noticed the shape of the face plates are different😂

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #5,405 of 6,223
After a brief listen of each atom, currently settled on the silver, it has more bass without ruining the neutrality, and most importantly, the colours match!
Also a lesson learned, don’t insert and remove CIEM multiple times in short period, the ears hurt.😅

IMG_8361.jpeg

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #5,406 of 6,223
Y'all just a buncha bassheads. Red is prefect on Rn6 and I will die on this hilllllllllll

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #5,407 of 6,223
Y'all just a buncha bassheads. Red is prefect on Rn6 and I will die on this hilllllllllll
Kinda taking away the selling point of the fir by dropping that bass so much 😅 the black filter is enough imo

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #5,408 of 6,223
I am hooked on red with Xe6, reduces the bass just enough to fully open up a wicked stage with incredible separation and holographic sound, while bass still slams more than most others.

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #5,409 of 6,223
I am hooked on red with Xe6, reduces the bass just enough to fully open up a wicked stage with incredible separation and holographic sound, while bass still slams more than most others.
Might have to get a red just to try it out I just can’t imagine wanting less bass than than the black 🤷🏻‍♂️ usually that’s when I give my other stuff a listen lol

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #5,410 of 6,223
I’m tempted to order some customs (I had the Kr5 but sold in favour of the Sony Z1R), and am thinking about either the Xe6 or Rn6… anyone experienced all and have a suggestion?

Also any chance Fir will be running any Black Friday offers- wanted to pick some up before a trip during mid-late December.
That’s probably the more sensible, but I’m keen to make sure the kinetic driver has a good seal and custom for comfort.

I was fortunate to have Rn6 & Xe6 with me for a few weeks along the Australian tour, and these are pretty much the things I was most interested to compare and understand myself, so thanks for prompting me to share this sooner than later!

Rn6_Xe6_Xe6Custom.jpg

So, Xe6 vs Rn6. Firstly, both of these are amazing IEMs, and as you can see I've already made the full commitment to the Xe6. My listening with all 3 was with the silver ATOM module, as I find it gets the most of the kinetic bass performance without becoming too suffocating. I would only use gold out and about in a louder environment where isolation is important. The very obvious difference here is in the mid bass and lower midrange. Xe6 is significantly elevated here, which gives it an incredible warmth and casts an intoxicating glow around the music that I find highly addicting. Xe6 stage feels a bit more compressed to the middle because of this, giving it a cozy intimacy that fills my head perfectly. Rn6 by comparison is much, much leaner, hewing to a more 'correct' type of tuning in this region. This makes Rn6, especially with the red or black modules much more spacious, especially in stage width. So it definitely feels larger.... but for me it feels somewhat hollow when compared to the Xe6. I guess the best way I can describe it is that with Rn6 I feel like I'm looking at the music, whereas with Xe6 I'm completely immersed in it.

A track like Sofia Kourtesis' "Funkhaus" bears this out:

With Rn6 the sub-bass synths are very deep and satisfying, but pushed out to the edges of the stage. Xe6 takes those synths and fills them all the way into the centre of the sound image in a way that makes this track totally dominate my mind and, I believe, fully experience it. Now, Rn6 does have a few of its own advantages, notably details in the upper midrange and treble are much more prominent and easier to make out. Xe6 still gives you all the same detail, you just have to listen in a little closer to tease it out.

I was also very interested to a/b the universal Xe6 vs my custom, and for this I did use the stock cable on both to take that variable out of the equation. Of course, these are probably 90% the same as each other, but that last 10% or so is pretty important I believe. With the custom you get much better isolation, a perfect fit, and the kind of long-term comfort that you can listen for hours on end with zero fatigue. Another lifestyle difference with the custom is that the ATOM modules are much easier to deal with. But the biggest difference I heard was that the CIEM is much more coherent than the universal. This is probably down to the difference in fit between them, and the perfect seal that you get with the custom. I had never thought coherence was an "issue" with the universal Xe6, but going back and forth it was more obvious which notes were being produced with the kinetic bass driver down low vs the BAs/estat up high on the universal; whereas with the CIEM the entire frequency response curve felt much more seamless and presented together as a complete whole.

So back to your specific questions @paul_uk_81. I owned Z1R for a year or so, and I would say that if you want to double-down on that kind of tuning, then Rn6 would be the way to go. Or, if you want your bass done differently, then go for the Xe6, as it would be a nice complement to the Z1R. And if you have an inkling that you're going to be in for the long haul either way, CIEM is a no-brainer imho.

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #5,411 of 6,223
I was fortunate to have Rn6 & Xe6 with me for a few weeks along the Australian tour, and these are pretty much the things I was most interested to compare and understand myself, so thanks for prompting me to share this sooner than later!

Rn6_Xe6_Xe6Custom.jpg

So, Xe6 vs Rn6. Firstly, both of these are amazing IEMs, and as you can see I've already made the full commitment to the Xe6. My listening with all 3 was with the silver ATOM module, as I find it gets the most of the kinetic bass performance without becoming too suffocating. I would only use gold out and about in a louder environment where isolation is important. The very obvious difference here is in the mid bass and lower midrange. Xe6 is significantly elevated here, which gives it an incredible warmth and casts an intoxicating glow around the music that I find highly addicting. Xe6 stage feels a bit more compressed to the middle because of this, giving it a cozy intimacy that fills my head perfectly. Rn6 by comparison is much, much leaner, hewing to a more 'correct' type of tuning in this region. This makes Rn6, especially with the red or black modules much more spacious, especially in stage width. So it definitely feels larger.... but for me it feels somewhat hollow when compared to the Xe6. I guess the best way I can describe it is that with Rn6 I feel like I'm looking at the music, whereas with Xe6 I'm completely immersed in it.

A track like Sofia Kourtesis' "Funkhaus" bears this out:

With Rn6 the sub-bass synths are very deep and satisfying, but pushed out to the edges of the stage. Xe6 takes those synths and fills them all the way into the centre of the sound image in a way that makes this track totally dominate my mind and, I believe, fully experience it. Now, Rn6 does have a few of its own advantages, notably details in the upper midrange and treble are much more prominent and easier to make out. Xe6 still gives you all the same detail, you just have to listen in a little closer to tease it out.

I was also very interested to a/b the universal Xe6 vs my custom, and for this I did use the stock cable on both to take that variable out of the equation. Of course, these are probably 90% the same as each other, but that last 10% or so is pretty important I believe. With the custom you get much better isolation, a perfect fit, and the kind of long-term comfort that you can listen for hours on end with zero fatigue. Another lifestyle difference with the custom is that the ATOM modules are much easier to deal with. But the biggest difference I heard was that the CIEM is much more coherent than the universal. This is probably down to the difference in fit between them, and the perfect seal that you get with the custom. I had never thought coherence was an "issue" with the universal Xe6, but going back and forth it was more obvious which notes were being produced with the kinetic bass driver down low vs the BAs/estat up high on the universal; whereas with the CIEM the entire frequency response curve felt much more seamless and presented together as a complete whole.

So back to your specific questions @paul_uk_81. I owned Z1R for a year or so, and I would say that if you want to double-down on that kind of tuning, then Rn6 would be the way to go. Or, if you want your bass done differently, then go for the Xe6, as it would be a nice complement to the Z1R. And if you have an inkling that you're going to be in for the long haul either way, CIEM is a no-brainer imho.

You should give the AZLA crystals a go! Same size as the earfit lights you use (I half size down Xelastec and tried with the RN6 but they slip out since they're relatively tiny)
The sub bass gets additional separation and everything else benefits as well (stage and separation gets even better)

I've tried Divinus Velvets, The Symbio W's, Azla Earfit Light/Normal, Azla Xelastec, Crystal MS and M. I used to swear by the earfit lights but the Crystal's really are just the tops.

Nov 11, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #5,412 of 6,223
You should give the AZLA crystals a go! Same size as the earfit lights you use (I half size down Xelastec and tried with the RN6 but they slip out since they're relatively tiny)
The sub bass gets additional separation and everything else benefits as well (stage and separation gets even better)

I've tried Divinus Velvets, The Symbio W's, Azla Earfit Light/Normal, Azla Xelastec, Crystal MS and M. I used to swear by the earfit lights but the Crystal's really are just the tops.
I usually use Final E tips, but they didn’t grip the Rn6 very well and kept getting stuck in my ears, so I went with the Azla Sedna Earfits on both to take that variable out of the comparison.

Never got around to trying the Crystals, the regular xelastec ones were a bit too sticky and again often got left behind when taking out a given IEM.

Anyway this highlights another big advantage of CIEM I forgot to mention above, and that is angst over tip rolling is non existent. 😉

Nov 11, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #5,413 of 6,223
Hey folks, this one stumped me. On my RN6 CIEM I pulled the red modules and on one shell an aluminum tube came out? I pulled out the other side and there was no tube. When I inserted the silver modules they were so loose they kept falling out (on just the side with this strange tube). So I pulled out the other side and there was no tube, the module was a perfect fit. Any suggestions as to what is going on?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4866.jpeg
    IMG_4866.jpeg
    636.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4867.jpeg
    IMG_4867.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #5,414 of 6,223
Hey folks, this one stumped me. On my RN6 CIEM I pulled the red modules and on one shell an aluminum tube came out? I pulled out the other side and there was no tube. When I inserted the silver modules they were so loose they kept falling out (on just the side with this strange tube). So I pulled out the other side and there was no tube, the module was a perfect fit. Any suggestions as to what is going on?

Thanks.
Unfortunately, looks like the shim came loose. You'll have to wedge it around another module to swap... I'd send for repair and just stick with one in the mean time. Sorry bro 🥲

Nov 11, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #5,415 of 6,223

Thanks.
Reach out to support. We can fix that very quickly.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back