Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Nov 12, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #5,433 of 6,244
What’s the comfort like on Fei wan because I know my xe6 nd the rn6 are very hard to beat in the TOTL department when it comes to comfort

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #5,434 of 6,244
Okay there should be no pain. Firstly, and this absolutely is not meant to patronise, ensure you are wearing them correctly (youtube for rotate or twist CIEM into place method)

I completely agree with the advice to ask for a refit, the Fir team has a long history in customs, my comments on custom fitting:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ge-all-welcome.957426/page-4599#post-17797821

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ge-all-welcome.957426/page-4620#post-17801533

You will have to be precise in your feedback to Fir, see this diagram: https://www.cosmicears.com/impressions/. Or take good photos of the IEM and circle where you feel pressure / looseness. Specify if the 'pain' is constant or is only present with some or all jaw / head positions. This all assumes your ear impressions were good to begin with of course (see link). Good luck
Thank you for the very useful information!
I think I have no issue wearing them, but I do concern if I take them out correctly, I find it quite difficult to smoothly remove them given how they “lock on” my ears perfectly. I’ll try to find where the exact discomfort zones are in this week, seems like I irritate my ears too much today.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #5,435 of 6,244
Of course you should wait a little bit. CIEMs have a lot more contact area than eartips and can be irritating at first. In the end the CIEM should practically disappear in the ear without feeling pressure in any spot, just the feeling of being plugged. Cables can make a difference here, I struggled with my Supermoon's fit but changed the cable to a more pliable one and I was golden.
I’ll keep that in mind! I do find the stock cable of RN6 a little bit stiff.

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #5,436 of 6,244
When your ears have calmed down try the fit again without any cables attached. If that feels better it might mean go for thinner / low profile cables - if no cables test is an improvement, that does not necessarily mean no refit is needed. Could be feedback that means something to Fir

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #5,439 of 6,244
Can I get some advice on the RN6 universal fit. I’m finding when the RN6 is fully inserted into ear my tragus is covering the atom module. Is this the correct fit or should the ear not be covering the atom module? Does atom venting still work if it’s covered by the ear?

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #5,440 of 6,244
Maybe I’m not getting a great seal… I find the bass technically impressive on the RN6 but also somewhat subdued. Even with the gold module it will never dominate more than the mids and treble which are much more prominent. I didn’t really know what to expect with the kinetic bass. To my ears it doesn’t sound like bone conduction in the way Evo or Legend X did. It’s much more in control. I’m not sure I feel a ‘vibration’ as other reviewers have. Not sure if this points to a bad seal. Do people prefer deep or shallow fit? And do people really feel a vibration?

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #5,441 of 6,244
Maybe I’m not getting a great seal… I find the bass technically impressive on the RN6 but also somewhat subdued. Even with the gold module it will never dominate more than the mids and treble which are much more prominent. I didn’t really know what to expect with the kinetic bass. To my ears it doesn’t sound like bone conduction in the way Evo or Legend X did. It’s much more in control. I’m not sure I feel a ‘vibration’ as other reviewers have. Not sure if this points to a bad seal. Do people prefer deep or shallow fit? And do people really feel a vibration?
You're hearing it right. Rn6 bass doesn't dominate. It's not a 'bass first' IEM like EVO or LX (LX doesn't have nine conduction by the way). Rn6 is more balanced, mostly neutral with a slight bass boost (even with gold). If you want audacious Kinetic Bass, that's what Xe6 is for.

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #5,442 of 6,244
You're hearing it right. Rn6 bass doesn't dominate. It's not a 'bass first' IEM like EVO or LX (LX doesn't have nine conduction by the way). Rn6 is more balanced, mostly neutral with a slight bass boost (even with gold). If you want audacious Kinetic Bass, that's what Xe6 is for.
Xe6 kinetic bass be hitting like a tractor trailer going 90 on the freeway 🚛 🛣️🐄💥🔊

Nov 13, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #5,443 of 6,244
Does anyone’s ears cover the Atom module when wearing Xe6 or Rn6 with a deep fit and would this be an issue? Are they therefore designed to be worn with a shallower fit so the module is not covered by the ear.

For example if I use red module but the ear covers the module am I actually getting maximum isolation so more bass than what red module offers.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #5,444 of 6,244
Does anyone’s ears cover the Atom module when wearing Xe6 or Rn6 with a deep fit and would this be an issue? Are they therefore designed to be worn with a shallower fit so the module is not covered by the ear or am I essentially getting maximum isolation by covering the module with the ear? I’ve asked Fir Audio but no reply.
I have never thought of that to be a problem, and I definitely don’t consider it to be one lol maybe I’ll test it by putting my finger over it on and off and listening for a difference, but I doubt there will be one

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #5,445 of 6,244
Does anyone’s ears cover the Atom module when wearing Xe6 or Rn6 with a deep fit and would this be an issue? Are they therefore designed to be worn with a shallower fit so the module is not covered by the ear or am I essentially getting maximum isolation by covering the module with the ear? I’ve asked Fir Audio but no reply.

You want a deep fit to position the open and ported Kinetic Bass driver to be as close to your ear as possible for bass and bone conduction. ATOM is a pressure relief system that vents pressures that buildup in a sealed ear canal in addition to levels of isolation and bass.

UNIEM ATOM XS doesn't require a lot of space for venting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back