Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Oct 14, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #3,196 of 6,237
I need some advice. I bought my Kr5 with a balanced (4.4mm) cable to use with my Fiio M11 Plus. A few months after I bought a Chord Mojo 2, and that was a stellar upgrade. The sound was much more engaging. I used an Audeze premium iem-cable. Sadly that cable wasn't constructed for over the ear use, så the soldering broke in one of the 2-pin connectors (and my soldering skills aren't up for the task of fixing it). That leads me to my question: what cable should I buy? I'm leaning towards buying the FIR cable. It's a $356-cable and my cable-budget ends at max $500. I'm not very experienced in different cables, and I'm not totally convinced it's worth spending a lot of money on. Would you say that the FIR Cable is worth it's money, or do I find more bang for the buck elsewhere? I have considered buying a cable from Linsoul, (very cheap) but I'm afraid I might be buying a low quality product... and the FIR Cable that came with my Kr5 feels like good quality to me.

Oct 14, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #3,197 of 6,237
I need some advice. I bought my Kr5 with a balanced (4.4mm) cable to use with my Fiio M11 Plus. A few months after I bought a Chord Mojo 2, and that was a stellar upgrade. The sound was much more engaging. I used an Audeze premium iem-cable. Sadly that cable wasn't constructed for over the ear use, så the soldering broke in one of the 2-pin connectors (and my soldering skills aren't up for the task of fixing it). That leads me to my question: what cable should I buy? I'm leaning towards buying the FIR cable. It's a $356-cable and my cable-budget ends at max $500. I'm not very experienced in different cables, and I'm not totally convinced it's worth spending a lot of money on. Would you say that the FIR Cable is worth it's money, or do I find more bang for the buck elsewhere? I have considered buying a cable from Linsoul, (very cheap) but I'm afraid I might be buying a low quality product... and the FIR Cable that came with my Kr5 feels like good quality to me.
Although I have not tried them yet, I hear good things about Liquid Links cables. They have options that would meet your budget. They are available at @MusicTeck

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #3,198 of 6,237
Although I have not tried them yet, I hear good things about Liquid Links cables. They have options that would meet your budget. They are available at @MusicTeck
Thanks! The Liquid Link Martini looks stellar, but unfortunately only available in 4.4 termination from MusicTeck. I need 3.5 for my Mojo 2. However I found a HongKong-site with 3.5 (https://www.mestudiobiz.com/en/products/liquid-links-martini) I'm a bit hesitant of buying expensive cables from unknown stores though.... (Unless this is a wide known retailer?)

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #3,199 of 6,237
Thanks! The Liquid Link Martini looks stellar, but unfortunately only available in 4.4 termination from MusicTeck. I need 3.5 for my Mojo 2. However I found a HongKong-site with 3.5 (https://www.mestudiobiz.com/en/products/liquid-links-martini) I'm a bit hesitant of buying expensive cables from unknown stores though.... (Unless this is a wide known retailer?)
The premium silver cable from 64audio is pretty good for 3.5mm. You might want to check it out on 64a webstore..

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #3,200 of 6,237
Oct 14, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #3,201 of 6,237
New member of the Fir family...

20221014_145451.jpg

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #3,202 of 6,237

I just buy modular, like Dunu or Kinera

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #3,203 of 6,237
Oct 14, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #3,206 of 6,237
any reason why u chose this over xe6? thanks

I tried XE6 a couple of times and it wasn't for me - at least it didn't click in the 30 minute or so sessions I tried it, but I do hear a lot of comments saying it requires longer to adjust. It was just a bit too warm for me, with what felt like an excessive and intense focus on mid-bass.

Oct 14, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #3,207 of 6,237
I miss my KR5! Loved it more than the XE6 by a margin. Keen to hear your impressions vs Turii Ti!

I know already that KR5 won't knock Turii Ti off the throne, but it's certainly very complementary as they are incredibly different. I'll share impressions as I become more familiar with KR5.

Oct 14, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #3,208 of 6,237
Oct 14, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #3,209 of 6,237
Oct 14, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #3,210 of 6,237
Does anyone have any impressions of the sound difference when using the various atom modules on KR5? - curious to try, but they look a bit of a pain to change!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back