Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Oct 5, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #3,166 of 6,335
hi, got the FIR xe6 few days ago, and the vision ears erlkonig a month ago, I would never thought that anything would top the erlkonig, but man that xe6 is dam amazing, will share more impressions later. What a masterpiece the xe6 is, kudos to FIR

As for tips I really recommend the radius deep mount tips and a silver cable, I did not yet try other modules than the stock silver module
That would be a fun one two punch solution if you keep both.

Oct 6, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #3,168 of 6,335
Hello @twister6
How is your custom Xe6 synergy and your cable Eletech Ode to Laura ?

You are probably referring to my Laura review where I featured XE6 with that cable? Actually, XE6 has been a permanent feature in every single DAP and cable review I publish :) The cable pushes uni XE6 sound sig more toward W-shaped, from the original L-shaped as I hear it. To my ears the fit of custom XE6 already brings mids more forward and sound sig closer to W-shaped with stock cable. In pair up with Laura, custom XE6 scales up similar to uni XE6, with improvement in detail retrieval and more clarity in lower mids.

Oct 6, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #3,169 of 6,335
You are probably referring to my Laura review where I featured XE6 with that cable? Actually, XE6 has been a permanent feature in every single DAP and cable review I publish :) The cable pushes uni XE6 sound sig more toward W-shaped, from the original L-shaped as I hear it. To my ears the fit of custom XE6 already brings mids more forward and sound sig closer to W-shaped with stock cable. In pair up with Laura, custom XE6 scales up similar to uni XE6, with improvement in detail retrieval and more clarity in lower mids.
Yes I read your review....And I was curious how it would sweat with the se Xe6 custom 😄😄

Oct 7, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #3,170 of 6,335
Hello, what U think about Ode to laura vs Effect Audio Chiron?

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #3,172 of 6,335
Has anyone tried any full sized headphones that sound similar to the xe6?
When I had the Xe6 around for a few weeks as part of a tour a couple months back, I really liked how much it reminded me of my Meze Empyrean. The Empy shares that warm, dark bass heavy tuning that feels like it wraps you up in your favourite blanket, but with an even bigger overall sound, being a full-sized headphone.

The Xe6 is a bit more forward in the treble which on many recordings I appreciated for its additional detail and immersion, but could be borderline aggressive by comparison to the Empy, which is always very relaxed and easy to fall into for many hours at a time.

If you like that incredibly intoxicating, almost narcotic feel of the Xe6, you'll probably find a lot to like in the Empyrean.

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #3,174 of 6,335
Has anyone tried any full sized headphones that sound similar to the xe6?
Audeze LCD-XC with Violectric HPA V280 amp and Forza Hybrid Noir cable share simillar sound signature.

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #3,176 of 6,335
Is there an ongoing North American tour of the Frontier series? Or a vendor that will ship demo units?

Oct 9, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #3,177 of 6,335
Oct 9, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #3,179 of 6,335
After more than 2 hours with the Fir audio New Frontiers, I had chosen the Kr5.
The Ne4 presentation is lacking some strength compared to its two brothers.
The Xe6 bass was too much for me with the silver atom. Tried with the Comply foam tips as well as with the Fiio bass tips (more comfortable for me). Changing to the black atom, resulted in less punchier bass. Did try the Xe6 with the stock cable as wel as with silver cable (better sound).

I better liked the Kr5 bass. Initially with the silver atom, stock cable and the Comply memory foam tips, the mids (vocals) had sounded too airier (hard to explain). Moving to the Fiio bass tips, had taken care of that.

Although the Xe6 is more musical with softer highs (high mids and treble), it did not justify the cost difference against the Kr5. Eventually, for me, the Kr5 yields better cost, performance and sound quality.

Try these marvels with differnt tips (especially those that best suit your ears) and different cables if possible (Xe6, Ne4).

Thanks for the guidance provided by this forum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back