Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jun 3, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #2,791 of 6,234
Looks like Fir is finally announcing the FR measurement dongle in NAMM today. Have been waiting for this for 2-3 years since they showed the pic!
I have the IEC coupler clone that needed to be used with my MBP, but the dongle being able to use with your phone is so much more portable/handy.
What now???

Yes please! This opens up so many possibilities on a community-wide level. All the current measurement rigs are either too expensive, too difficult to attain (have to use forwarders, buy components from a bunch of vendors etc), but if we can all get behind this, we can create an absolutely incredible database.

Even if it is not the most accurate thing, it will be great to be able to have easily comparable measurements.

Pure hype <3

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #2,792 of 6,234
What now???

Yes please! This opens up so many possibilities on a community-wide level. All the current measurement rigs are either too expensive, too difficult to attain (have to use forwarders, buy components from a bunch of vendors etc), but if we can all get behind this, we can create an absolutely incredible database.

Even if it is not the most accurate thing, it will be great to be able to have easily comparable measurements.

Pure hype <3

187EBBA5-D2D3-49F5-9761-13D6EFED2444.png

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #2,794 of 6,234
Oh right UIEM vs CIEM - I owned them about a week apart, and I'd say that the KB is very noticeable on the universals as well - I was stunned by the uni Kr5. I'd say that the CIEM only marginally improves in the lowest subbass regions and transmitting that texture there as well.

It's a bit better, but if you aren't too sure if the tuning is for you, go for the UIEM. The Kr5 and Xe6 both resonate with me and get ridiculous listening time, so not having resale when I stop using them at some point doesn't feel particularly wasteful

I noticed a lot more difference in the treble of the universal vs the custom, I heard the uni Kr5 as a lot brighter than the CIEM. I think @aaf evo heard them as very similar though, so it might be down to ear anatomy.
"Bass that munches DD's for breakfast!" - firry
Ha ha, right, well I'll have the Aussie tour kit here in a few weeks, really looking forward to spending some Quality Time with the noble firry's.

Jun 3, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #2,795 of 6,234
Looks like Fir is finally announcing the FR measurement dongle in NAMM today. Have been waiting for this for 2-3 years since they showed the pic!
I have the IEC coupler clone that needed to be used with my MBP, but the dongle being able to use with your phone is so much more portable/handy.
This sounds so cool.

Jun 3, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #2,796 of 6,234
Oh right UIEM vs CIEM - I owned them about a week apart, and I'd say that the KB is very noticeable on the universals as well - I was stunned by the uni Kr5. I'd say that the CIEM only marginally improves in the lowest subbass regions and transmitting that texture there as well.

It's a bit better, but if you aren't too sure if the tuning is for you, go for the UIEM. The Kr5 and Xe6 both resonate with me and get ridiculous listening time, so not having resale when I stop using them at some point doesn't feel particularly wasteful

I noticed a lot more difference in the treble of the universal vs the custom, I heard the uni Kr5 as a lot brighter than the CIEM. I think @aaf evo heard them as very similar though, so it might be down to ear anatomy.
Thanks for that. For the record, my thought is kinetic bass requires as much contact between the IEM shell and your ear canal as possible, so it would be better felt with a CIEM than a universal. Perhaps not. Interesting.

Jun 3, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #2,797 of 6,234
Thanks for that. For the record, my thought is kinetic bass requires as much contact between the IEM shell and your ear canal as possible, so it would be better felt with a CIEM than a universal. Perhaps not. Interesting.
This is exactly my thinking as well.

I swore off customs a while ago, but I am seriously contemplating returning for the xe6…

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #2,798 of 6,234
I swore off customs a while ago, but I am seriously contemplating returning for the xe6…
Why'd you give up customs? I'm patiently waiting for my first one to arrive, my thinking being that if I've found something that I know will work for me for 5+ years, why not go the full measure and get CIEM if it's available.

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #2,799 of 6,234
Has anyone/can anyone compare the Ne4 or Xe6 to the 64 Trio? Haven't seen this comparison done yet (or I'm bad at finding things) and wondered how they'd stack up against each other given the sound signature seems somewhat similar.

I don't think either of them is that close to Trio. XE6 is very different from Trio and is quite unique anyway. NE4 is def warmer with smoother treble than Trio and mids are more prominent. Trio mids were quite recessed in my experience. Treble on Trio might be a bit more extended than NE4 and could also get hot at times.

If anything I'd say KR5 overall signature is a bit closer but again not that much really.

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #2,800 of 6,234
Why'd you give up customs? I'm patiently waiting for my first one to arrive, my thinking being that if I've found something that I know will work for me for 5+ years, why not go the full measure and get CIEM if it's available.
I had a bunch of custom iems in the past, and for a while, I swore that I’d only go custom.

Then I heard an iem that quickly became my favorite (erlkonig,) and since it was only available in universal form, it wasn’t an option to go custom. More recently, I heard trailllii, which became another one of my favorite iems…and is only available in universal form.

I also have come to find universal iems to be more comfortable overall, after years of having both.

In the case of the xe6 (and the entire frontier line,) I feel that the kinetic bass tech genuinely would benefit from being presented in custom form, and for that reason only I am considering revisiting a custom option on the xe6.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #2,801 of 6,234
I had a bunch of custom iems in the past, and for a while, I swore that I’d only go custom.

Then I heard an iem that quickly became my favorite (erkonig,) and since it was only available in universal form, it wasn’t an option to go custom. More recently, I heard trailllii, which became another one of my favorite iems…and is only available in universal form.

I also have come to find universal iems to be more comfortable overall, after years of having both.

In the case of the xe6 (and the entire frontier line,) I feel that the kinetic bass tech genuinely would benefit from being presented in custom form, and for that reason only I am considering revisiting a custom option on the xe6.
I have similar observations, I prefer universals and am fortunate enough in that respect that I’ve not really had fit issues with a universal IEM design thus far. I agree with what you said about the frontier line in custom form 🤗

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #2,802 of 6,234
Just wondering if it's possible to send your universal xe6 back to fir audio and refit it to custom?

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #2,803 of 6,234
I recently asked this question and unfortunately, the answer is no:

“It is technically not possible to re-shell Xe6 UIEM. The internal parts like the Reactor is different shaped.”

Essentially, because the overall design is different, it seems enough parts are different that a new iem more or less needs to be built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back