Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Feb 23, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #2,281 of 6,349
It's been two weeks since I placed my order and sent them 3D scans of the impressions. They haven't started building my Kr5s yet... but hopefully soon. (Just to give you an update on how long you can expect to wait.) They state a build time of 3 weeks on their web page.
Once more people start realizing what a technical wonder these iems are, waiting time are going to be even worse.. (Unless you pay up... ....ing loaded queue jumpers😖😋).
I believe the first few brave souls managed to get away getting them quick due them being freshly release and in less demand..
These will explode in demand once more impressions come out.

Feb 23, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #2,283 of 6,349
I wonder how does KR5 and traillii compare to each other. Seems from impressions to me it's pretty similar.
0BEF7520-B66E-4689-A51B-CF7EB63C46A1.jpeg
They sound very different from each other. Traillii is more laid back with good lateral staging. KR5 is more energetic with 3D spherical staging. I feel I am picking up more details with the KR5. Traillii’s tonality seems more accurate and closer to neutral as shown on graph, but KR5 sounds more natural and engaging to my ears.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #2,284 of 6,349
They sound very different from each other. Traillii is more laid back with good lateral staging. KR5 is more energetic with more 3D spherical staging. I feel I am picking up more details with the KR5. Traillii’s tonality seems more correct and closer to neutral as shown on graph, but KR5 sounds more natural to my ears.
Seems like a good complement to Phonix and XE6. Might just pick it up!!

Feb 23, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #2,286 of 6,349
Once more people start realizing what a technical wonder these iems are, waiting time are going to be even worse.. (Unless you pay up... ....ing loaded queue jumpers😖😋).
I believe the first few brave souls managed to get away getting them quick due them being freshly release and in less demand..
These will explode in demand once more impressions come out.

The wait times are only for the CIEMs right? I see a lot of people ordering CIEMs in the thread after trying the UIEM. Do the UIEMs still compare well to the CIEMs? Is there a massive jump in quality from UIEM to CIEM?

Feb 23, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #2,287 of 6,349
The wait times are only for the CIEMs right? I see a lot of people ordering CIEMs in the thread after trying the UIEM. Do the UIEMs still compare well to the CIEMs? Is there a massive jump in quality from UIEM to CIEM?
Depends on your ear anatomy really. I heard major improvements in the bass texture, dynamics and treble quantity when going from the UIEM to the CIEM, but that’s consistent with my experience when switching between any 64/FiR UIEM and CIEM. The shell shape just doesn’t work for my ear so the moment I start walking around with them for example I lose seal and all the bass

Feb 23, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #2,288 of 6,349
Feb 24, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #2,292 of 6,349
@aaf evo if someone prefers vocals, or upper mids and highs, would the xe6 be to warm? im leaning towards the kr5, but maybe the xe6 might be fine. would just have to get used to the sound?

I’d say so yeah, for me personally if it’s was going for upper mids and highs I wouldn’t recommend the XE6. Now it’s got absolutely beautiful upper mids and treble but they’re present to balance out the bass and lower mids rather than the focus.

Let me get back to you on the Kr5, my CIEM is expected to arrive tomorrow. It definitely has brighter treble and upper mids but I’m not sure I’d say it’s actual vocal presentation is “better” than Xe6, if that makes sense?

The xe6 takes some brain burn in for sure.

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #2,293 of 6,349

100% on this. I've been borrowing my friend's XE6 and it sometimes sounds like muddy gloop if I was using something that has a more traditional tuning the night before (such as my Odin). But after that adjustment, it ends up sounding like the voice of gods. Seriously, it gives me chills. I'm mostly an EDM/pop person, so the bass and uncanny amount of detail work really well together. As much hype that the bass gets, I honestly think that it's the treble that's the highlight for me. The open driver (tia?) with reflector adds a super smooth air and detail.

It's unashamedly the most colored, "guilty pleasure" of an IEM I've heard in a while. That being said, I can definitely seeing this being a miss for some people. My friend had to try a bunch of combos to find something that works for him (and myself now that I'm borrowing it). I'm sure that depending on people's ear shape and setup that the balance can go wrong and end up feeling really bloated. Luckily it's easy to swap modules on top of tip/cable rolling so you can tune a lot of different variables.

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #2,295 of 6,349
I’d say so yeah, for me personally if it’s was going for upper mids and highs I wouldn’t recommend the XE6. Now it’s got absolutely beautiful upper mids and treble but they’re present to balance out the bass and lower mids rather than the focus.

Let me get back to you on the Kr5, my CIEM is expected to arrive tomorrow. It definitely has brighter treble and upper mids but I’m not sure I’d say it’s actual vocal presentation is “better” than Xe6, if that makes sense?

Awesome. Will wait for your comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back