Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #1,051 of 6,233
The elysium and M5 are such good complemental IEMs, i May pull the trigger on them.
I have the same intentions, on saving mode now for getting either Erl or 2 IEMs that complement each other. I think for sure Elysium for the mids, 2nd one could be A18s or M5.

Hopefully that would be my endgame for some time atleast!

Mar 5, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #1,052 of 6,233
I have the same intentions, on saving mode now for getting either Erl or 2 IEMs that complement each other. I think for sure Elysium for the mids, 2nd one could be A18s or M5.

Hopefully that would be my endgame for some time atleast!
You'd be better off with the M5s as the 18t present the music in the same way as the elysium, with thinner mids.

Mar 5, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #1,053 of 6,233
You'd be better off with the M5s as the 18t present the music in the same way as the elysium, with thinner mids.
Its A18s, the new one. Apparently it supposed to have better bass and better than U12T and fuller body and bit more warmth. This is from @twister6 CanJAM impressions.
But I'll wait for a thorough review on that.

Idea is to get one for orchestral based music, not sure how M5 is for that kind of genre. if its good, then i can consider that as well.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #1,054 of 6,233
Its A18s, the new one. Apparently it supposed to have better bass and better than U12T and fuller body and bit more warmth. This is from @twister6 CanJAM impressions.
But I'll wait for a thorough review on that.

Idea is to get one for orchestral based music, not sure how M5 is for that kind of genre. if its good, then i can consider that as well.
Ah yeah something more midcentric should fit that genre better than the m5 then. I'm honestly pretty skeptical about the new 18s but I'll wait for the reviews

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #1,055 of 6,233
Elysium/M5 are my next two...i think you'd be on the right track with that pair, @jrbgarcia

The erlky basically splits down the middle of the A18 and the M5, in that it's hyper-detailed, but super exciting and musical. Just extremely clean and large sound all around...and revolutionary level of background blackness.

Even if the 18s sounds a little different than the A18t, it's definitely not going to sound much different. 64A house sound is the house sound. A18t is incredible.

Elysium/M5 on the other hand, now that's a great combo of two very different and awesome sounds to have...

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,056 of 6,233
Looking to get a Fir M3 for my next custom, anyone here have experience with it? Also, what's the production time on these?

Messing around with the designer, doesn't look like there's an option for a clear shell? Somewhat a bummer because that's my favorite shell design.

I've posted a review after having the tour pair for a week. I was given another chance to hear the tour pair and am listening to them at this very moment. From the first notes of "10,000 Days" by Tool I am convinced my impressions the first time around still hold. M3 bass is huge. Huge in the way bass is described for the Empire Legend X (I've not heard those). I don't have my Campfire Atlas anymore, but bigger than my memory of those, too. I'm listening to Friends of Dean Martinez, "Blood of the Earth" right now. Electric bass and kick drum are deep and thumpy. I think the M4 and M5 had better bass detail, but I don't have either currently to do a direct comparison. Toward the end of the song there's a vibraphone which extends from the low mids to the low treble. It rings clear and pure. Wonderful. Treble isn't has detailed as my 64Audio Trio, but then nothing I've heard in the past few months is. Overall, treble is my favorite aspect of the Trio. Next up was "Blu-Bop" by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Bass on their Cosmic Hippo album is deep and recorded up-front. There's a section in the middle where pretty much only bass and cymbals are playing. The cymbals are brassy and delicate and not swamped by the bass. But then, this isn't a complicated section of music. When music gets busy I hear the M3 get muddled.

Vocals to me don't stand out with the M3. A bit recessed, not the star of the show. The M3 sound is big and powerful, and so much fun for electric rock, pop and that kind of stuff. One of my friends tried them for an afternoon. He's a metal head and prefers bass to be lean and quick and didn't like the M3 for that reason. If I listened to a higher percentage of vocal music, baroque, small combo acoustic jazz, chamber music, I'd look elsewhere. For what I listen to most of the time the M3 are big fun. Their energy can get fatiguing, though. Within the FiR line-up I found the M4 and M5 to be more balanced. Outside the FiR house, I have the Trio and also the Meze Rai Penta. I like both very much. I'll be comparing the M3 to the Trio extensively over the next few days to find out if the Trio can approach the fun level of the M3. The Penta can't.

At their price, there's a lot to recommend the M3. They are lots of fun. I don't think they're all-'rounders, though. There will be times when you want the house party to be over and want more detail and civility for a while.

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,057 of 6,233
M3 bass is huge. Huge in the way bass is described for the Empire Legend X (I've not heard those)... When music gets busy I hear the M3 get muddled.

Vocals to me don't stand out with the M3. A bit recessed, not the star of the show. The M3 sound is big and powerful, and so much fun for electric rock, pop and that kind of stuff... If I listened to a higher percentage of vocal music, baroque, small combo acoustic jazz, chamber music, I'd look elsewhere. For what I listen to most of the time the M3 are big fun. Their energy can get fatiguing, though. Within the FiR line-up I found the M4 and M5 to be more balanced.

At their price, there's a lot to recommend the M3. They are lots of fun. I don't think they're all-'rounders, though. There will be times when you want the house party to be over and want more detail and civility for a while.
Thanks for the descriptions! I'm not the biggest bass head, so looks like I might want to consider the M4 then. M5 is a little pricey for me.

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #1,058 of 6,233

Did you ever consider shure’s KSE1200 for orchestral music? I use mine for that purpose (they have incredible resolution) and Elysiums for most everything else at the moment.

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #1,059 of 6,233
M5 are probably the best iems for classical / baroque music. Even better than kse1200/1500. I'm amazed each time i listen to them with those genres. The authority, the very lively sound make the experience super real and immersive.

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #1,060 of 6,233
Follow this thread for a long time. I don't write much because I don't speak English and always struggle to write anything in it.

I've owned Elysium and M5 for 5 months and 2 months, respectively.

They are very different but both amazing iems. Can't tell that which one I prefer. My Elysium pairs nicely with Hugo2, SP2000Cu and SP1000Cu but M5 sounds superb with all my sources even SR15, Shanling M0 and iBasso DC01. Elysium obviously needs more power to be driven.

Their stock cables are very very good. I've tried Elysium with a lot of aftermarket cables but the stock cable still my favorite. Never tried M5 with any other cables because of the RCX. Anyone have tried pairing M5 with EA Horus? I have it collecting dust and intend to send it to Fir to replace its connectors. I want more treble sparkle and a bit thicker mids. It doesn't mean that M5 lacks of treble extension, I love my M5 the way it is. I just want a touch of difference and I think cable rolling is fun.
Thank you for your suggestions!

20200305_181031.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #1,061 of 6,233
Follow this thread for a long time. I don't write much because I don't speak English and always struggle to write anything in it.

I've owned Elysium and M5 for 5 months and 2 months, respectively.

They are very different but both amazing iems. Can't tell that which one I prefer. My Elysium pairs nicely with Hugo2, SP2000Cu and SP1000Cu but M5 sounds superb with all my sources even SR15, Shanling M0 and iBasso DC01. Elysium obviously needs more power to be driven.

Their stock cables are very very good. I've tried Elysium with a lot of aftermarket cables but the stock cable still my favorite. Never tried M5 with any other cables because of the RCX. Anyone have tried pairing M5 with EA Horus? I have it collecting dust and intend to send it to Fir to replace its connectors. I want more treble sparkle and a bit thicker mids. It doesn't mean that M5 lacks of treble extension, I love my M5 the way it is. I just want a touch of difference and I think cable rolling is fun.
Thank you for your suggestions!

20200305_181031.jpg
My friend is getting a leo octa 8 wire to pair it with the elysium. currently has it with a 1960s 4-wire and it sounds amazing. upper treble detail is really pushed to the limits. will let you know what it sounds like with the leo when we get it

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #1,062 of 6,233
Did you ever consider shure’s KSE1200 for orchestral music? I use mine for that purpose (they have incredible resolution) and Elysiums for most everything else at the moment.
No not really, I know they are extremely great for clarity driven music, but not sure if i want to carry the amp it comes with around.

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #1,063 of 6,233
No not really, I know they are extremely great for clarity driven music, but not sure if i want to carry the amp it comes with around.

I must admit, the amp can be a little bit bothersome when it comes to it. That said I love the volume wheel on it, so at least there’s that :).

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #1,065 of 6,233
Burning in the newly arrived FiR Audio M5 universal. First impression is the timbre is very natural and realistic, huge soundstage and amazing dynamics, big big sound. Very impressive! I have to use my Z1R 4.4mm cable though, since FiR doesn’t provide 4.4mm for M5 universal. Already sent the stock cable to my usual shop to be reterminated to 4.4mm.

ADE27505-3979-4D9B-99F7-DA595030128E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back