Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Mar 8, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #1,081 of 6,234
All the time the same question when we talk about iems...what tips ? What Dap ? (and even what track ?)

There is a huge problem telling something about iems without saying anything about the source and the tips.

M5 are very sensitive to tips rolling and pairing.

With the right DAP, they sound out of this world, but, I had several bad experience, like with Sony Wm1Z for example.

Totl dap but mismatch with M5. Logicaly, Sony output impedance is about 1.8 ohm and M5 are 6.4 ohm.

The result is like...really bad for me. SP1000 is great. LPGTouch is also good.

I did tips rolling with all the M series and I would say the best result I have is still with custom tips.

Then, come the final Audio silicone tips
img_3396.jpg

and just right after the Sedna silicone Tips.

Foam tips are really a bad idea. They brake the treble frequencies and add bass quantity most of the time.

That's why some people talk about V signature.

Mar 8, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #1,082 of 6,234
Wow really? Definitely not dark. But then again, it shows that people have different perception of sound :)
Agreed, but there are just some opinions that really confuse me

Mar 8, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #1,083 of 6,234
All the time the same question when we talk about iems...what tips ? What Dap ? (and even what track ?)

There is a huge problem telling something about iems without saying anything about the source and the tips.

With the right DAP, they sound out of this world, but, I had several bad experience, like with Sony Wm1Z for example.

Totl dap but mismatch with M5. Logicaly, Sony output impedance is about 1.8 ohm and M5 are 6.4 ohm.

I did tips rolling with all the M series and I would say the best result I have is still with custom tips.

Then, come the final Audio silicone tips
img_3396.jpg

and just right after the Sedna silicone Tips.

Foam tips are really a bad idea. They brake the treble frequencies and add bass quantity most of the time.

That's why some people talk about V signature.
Weird. Dap impedance shouldnt have an effect on the m series due to the lid circuit

Mar 8, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #1,084 of 6,234
Yes.

But all I experienced is dap with output impedance superior to 1 ohm don't match.

The worst I experience is with r2r2000 red which is about 10ohm. Horrible match lmao.

And, i want to add something about iems signature appreciation. It's also by contrasts that you can say something like M5 feels kind of dark. If your old usual iems have very high quantities of treble then you'll find a lot of iems sound dark, even if they don't... obvioulsy.

You can make the experience with eq. Add few db in treble section and listen for just 10 minutes (if you can haha) then turn off eq... Same effect.

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #1,085 of 6,234

Well I’m using 1Z and to me the pairing is just sublime. Actually it comes really close to my i4 out of 1Z. Soundstage width is about the same, but M5 goes a tad deeper. M5 bass has faster decay, i4 has more rumble and more quantity in sub-bass (I prefer planar bass vs DD). Mids are more forward on i4, therefore bringing a sense of thicker notes than M5. In the treble department, this is where I think M5 outshines i4 but not by much. At first listen, I was a bit underwhelmed by M5’s treble, as if it’s pushed back a bit. I left them on for 48 hours now and there’s a very noticeable change in the treble. It’s more present, very very well extended, and yet it‘s so natural (still not as sparkly as Z1R or Trio, but I like the way the treble sounds).

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #1,087 of 6,234
Did you have the opportunity to compare with M5 + SP1000 ?

No, since I don’t have SP1000. I’ve compared with N6ii though, and have similar findings (they don’t sound exactly the same but the difference is not much).

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #1,088 of 6,234
Yes.

I didn't find the N6ii was a good match with M5.

Of course, I respect your appreciation, and of course, if you don't know how sounds the M5 with SP1000 you can find the M5 excellent with the Sony 1Z but they are about 75% of their capabilities.

I invite you to try to find a SP1000 demo in a shop or even just buy the E1DA 9038S V2 on Aliexpress (around 80 usd) and compare with 1Z. I know it can sound crazy but just give a try (with a balanced cable, you cannot use 2.5 to 3.5 with the E1DA).

Mar 8, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #1,089 of 6,234
I’m not really keen on SP1000 sound, that’s why I chose 1Z back in 2017. Maybe you’re right, with respect to synergy it could technically be better with M5, but definitely I prefer the sound of 1Z. Especially with all the firmware mods on 1Z out there, it really brings it to the summit level (I’m now using Ultimate 1.02 mod). So yeah, I’m more than happy with my current setup :)

Mar 8, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #1,090 of 6,234
Mar 9, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #1,095 of 6,234
So they arrived earlier today ... Paired with the Sony wm1z , I must say I’m really impressed . And the fit is fantastic, a bit tight initially but I guess my ears are adjusting. Shipping to the Uk was crazy fast .

8A770C4E-8579-4A0C-BDDF-3F8907834189.jpeg

congrats!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back