Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Mar 25, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #1,112 of 6,222
I just finished my impressions video of the M4 and M5:

In general, here are my thoughts:

My general conclusion is fairly positive for both the M4 and the M5. Both have excellent technical performance, right up there with other flagships. For tonality, however, I do feel that the M4 has a bit too much energy at 5-6khz (I think this is where it is, I could be wrong about that). For certain recordings this treble elevation can occasionally throw off tonal balance for certain percussion hits. This was helped a bit by using foam tips. Additionally with that said, I think the M4 is appropriately priced, it has excellent bass response - tight, well controlled, not too much energy but still fun - and the rest of the frequency response and tonal balance sounds great to me.

The M5 on the other hand has a bit too much bass energy for my taste but the bigger issue to me is that it extends a bit too far up into the midrange. I think some people may enjoy this, but to me it causes an occasional muffled sound to certain instruments or vocals. There are some recordings where this is totally fine, but when listening to tracks that token the full frequency range into the sub-bass, it loses a bit of sub-bass definition as a result, and then obscures a bit of the mids as well. The rest of the tonal balance though on the M5 I found to be even better than that of the M4, and it has excellent treble detail as well.

So all in all, I think these are both pretty darn good - apart from a few minor issues. If I were to recommend one, it would be the M4. It's kind of like a spicy U12T with more interesting bass. I still prefer the U12T's tonality but I could totally see someone preferring the M4 instead. I do think the M5 is a bit overpriced though, and I'd ideally like to see something that has the treble response of the M5 but the bass response of the M4.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Mar 25, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #1,113 of 6,222
The bass on my custom M5 is fine , i don't find it overpowering or bleeding into the mids. With the grey modules they sound just right, if i want more bass i switch to the black ones . I don't know if tips are changing the sound on the universals , but my Custom M5 sound really nice.

Mar 25, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #1,114 of 6,222
I just finished my impressions video of the M4 and M5:

In general, here are my thoughts:

My general conclusion is fairly positive for both the M4 and the M5. Both have excellent technical performance, right up there with other flagships. For tonality, however, I do feel that the M4 has a bit too much energy at 5-6khz (I think this is where it is, I could be wrong about that). For certain recordings this treble elevation can occasionally throw off tonal balance for certain percussion hits. This was helped a bit by using foam tips. Additionally with that said, I think the M4 is appropriately priced, it has excellent bass response - tight, well controlled, not too much energy but still fun - and the rest of the frequency response and tonal balance sounds great to me.

The M5 on the other hand has a bit too much bass energy for my taste but the bigger issue to me is that it extends a bit too far up into the midrange. I think some people may enjoy this, but to me it causes an occasional muffled sound to certain instruments or vocals. There are some recordings where this is totally fine, but when listening to tracks that token the full frequency range into the sub-bass, it loses a bit of sub-bass definition as a result, and then obscures a bit of the mids as well. The rest of the tonal balance though on the M5 I found to be even better than that of the M4, and it has excellent treble detail as well.

So all in all, I think these are both pretty darn good - apart from a few minor issues. If I were to recommend one, it would be the M4. It's kind of like a spicy U12T with more interesting bass. I still prefer the U12T's tonality but I could totally see someone preferring the M4 instead. I do think the M5 is a bit overpriced though, and I'd ideally like to see something that has the treble response of the M5 but the bass response of the M4.

The 5-6khz energy is also one reason I ended up choosing the M5 over the M4. It may just be me, but I found it most bothersome on snare-drum hits. (Keep in mind I'm nit-picking here)

As far as the bass on the M5 - did you review these as part of the current tour that is making it's way around? I've read a few others on another thread saying they found that the bass was bleeding on the M5. I don't remember hearing it on my demo unit and I can't say I hear it on the unit that I currently own. It could just be my untrained ears, though... and the fact that I'm coming from the Empire Ears X series so any bass sounds tame in comparison.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,115 of 6,222
The 5-6khz energy is also one reason I ended up choosing the M5 over the M4. It may just be me, but I found it most bothersome on snare-drum hits. (Keep in mind I'm nit-picking here)

As far as the bass on the M5 - did you review these as part of the current tour that is making it's way around? I've read a few others on another thread saying they found that the bass was bleeding on the M5. I don't remember hearing it on my demo unit and I can't say I hear it on the unit that I currently own. It could just be my untrained ears, though... and the fact that I'm coming from the Empire Ears X series so any bass sounds tame in comparison.

Yeah that's right, the one from the tour. And yes, definitely not as much as the Legend X. For the M4, it's snares and tambourines - stuff like that. The 5-6khz elevation throws them off slightly on certain recordings. I did find the foam tips helped with that.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 1, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #1,116 of 6,222
Yeah that's right, the one from the tour. And yes, definitely not as much as the Legend X. For the M4, it's snares and tambourines - stuff like that. The 5-6khz elevation throws them off slightly on certain recordings. I did find the foam tips helped with that.
I have a feeling that custom M5s will sound quite different in that range.

Apr 1, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #1,117 of 6,222
Proud to announce I'm going to be the official handler of Fir Audio in my country. Extremely excited to hear the rest of the line up and write a review for each one. Also, stay tuned for a short comparison between the custom M5 and the universal M5

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #1,118 of 6,222
Proud to announce I'm going to be the official handler of Fir Audio in my country. Extremely excited to hear the rest of the line up and write a review for each one. Also, stay tuned for a short comparison between the custom M5 and the universal M5
Congrats. Looking forward to reading the custom vs universal comparison

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #1,119 of 6,222
Congrats. Looking forward to reading the custom vs universal comparison
Praying FedEx can deliver in this crisis :/ Im excited to hear how the treble differs especially, as custom iems are said to attenuate those frequencies the most.

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #1,120 of 6,222
Praying FedEx can deliver in this crisis :/ Im excited to hear how the treble differs especially, as custom iems are said to attenuate those frequencies the most.
I would rather say they enhance bass and low mids from what I've experienced

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #1,121 of 6,222
FedEx delivered some stuff for me and they've been excellent so far. Wouldn't worry tbh

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #1,122 of 6,222
I would rather say they enhance bass and low mids from what I've experienced
Yeah that's a given because of the seal, but that can be said of all iems. But the highs are also very very affected

Apr 7, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #1,124 of 6,222
Anyone using their M5 with AK SP2000? If yes, what's your volume level?

Apr 7, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #1,125 of 6,222

Users who are viewing this thread

Back