Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 4, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #211 of 6,233
Ineffableaudio glad you are enjoying these !!!

Forte and trio don’t have the electrostatic tweeters and some other technological modifications /advances

Also these have a three year warranty

UNPRECEDENTED

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #212 of 6,233
Yes, and on top of that the fircon connectors are very easy to snap on and off yet are super robust, also the cable is so soft and free from microphonics. I've never used a cable so flexible yet so tough. Oh and 3rd generation vent with atom haha. So there's a lot of innovations to be had with fir that make a real difference that can be hard to turn back from to other brands. I haven't found any features to be gimmicky at all

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #214 of 6,233
Okay I want to start posting some thoughts about the M5 now, I’ve been keeping mental notes of what I am hearing but if I don’t start writing I will lose track!

I’m not a reviewer by any means but I will try to get my thoughts across while being as generic as possible. Apologies in advanced if I sort of ramble/go off track but I’m just writing from what’s in my head. :)

The build quality of these IEMs is fantastic, they feel up on par if not superior to the 64 audio universal IEMs. Just holding them you can feel the quality of the materials used and how well they have been put together. Easily some of the best there is to offer that I have gotten to experience.

I did not get to use the stock FiR provided cable with the M5 as I do not own a 4.4 to 2.5mm adapter, so all listening was done with my PW Audio 1960s 4 wire and 1950s cable with the provided 2-pin to RCX adapter, so unfortunately i cannot provide any comparisons to the FiR provided cable.

My right ear canal is also rather narrow so the seal is not as good there as my left ear but I didn’t really find it to be an issue in terms of comfort or notice any sound imbalance.

These IEMs are very special. A fully tubeless IEM possesses something about them that is just so pure sounding, I am getting very similar vibes to the tia Fourte with the M5 although the tuning is very different in a positive way. I also find these IEMs to be some of the least fatiguing I have ever heard, I don’t know how to describe it in words well but it just makes me feel like the sounds are floating around in the air around me.

I opted to use symbio w tips with my listening sessions as they’re the most comfortable for me. I am struggling a bit to find a “sound profile” for these IEMs, and by that I mean I can’t really tell if I consider them to be balanced or maybe ever so slightly U-shaped. There are some tracks where I hear the bass and treble to be slightly more present but never do I feel the mids are recessed? It’s hard for me to explain. I think part of this is coming down to how well the bass and treble extends on both ends as well as the genre of music that is being played. It is also a very coherent IEM considering it has 3 different types of drivers at play here. Vocals sound absolutely fantastic and give you the feeling that you have someone sitting there just singing to you personally just a few feet away. Specifically female vocals sound absolutely amazing and may be one of my highlights of these IEMs. The bass is some of the cleanest bass I have heard in quality while also giving you enough quantity to satisfy any bass needs without bleeding into the other frequencies. The treble presence packs a lot of details and extends superbly with a lovely velvety smooth sound to it. I am sure this is with the help of the e-stat driver but with albums I am beyond familiar with such as Ascend by Illenium I am finding myself picking out more details in the higher frequencies than I am used to hearing with my A18t, which is saying quite a lot! There is also plenty of air moving around in the higher notes which sounds absolutely fantastic.

These are rather sensitive IEMs so driving them is no issue even with my iPhone but I do hear quite a bit of hiss with something such as my iBasso DC01, to where I would say it’s not a pleasurable listen unless I turn the volume up loud enough to drown the hiss/waterfall noise out. Obviously with something like my SP2000 it’s relatively quiet and sounds superb. I can also confirm that between both the DC01 and the SP2000 SS I noticed no differences in the actual sound signature and presentation, but obviously the SP2000 provides a much wider stage with better dynamics and a way blacker background.

As a quick cable comparison I found the 1950s to smooth out the M5 sound far too much, I felt it hurt the top end of the IEM which to me is one of the showcase aspects of the M5. Something just sounded a bit off.

The 1960s 4 wire with the M5 is an absolutely stunning pairing. I find the 1960s to be a slightly more revealing and sound extending cable over the 1950s so it just matched so well with the M5. With all that being said, I didn’t notice an immediate difference when I cable swapped. It took about 3 days of listening with the 1960s and then one day with no listening at all, then a day with the 1950s to finally realize that the 1960s pairing was much better.

Overall these IEMs are on the top of my wish list, I told myself I wouldn’t buy another CIEM after being so content with the A18t but these offer something so special that I am considering getting a custom one made in the future depending on some things.

Really looking forward to seeing other people’s impressions who are demo’ing the M5. Hopefully this mini review/impression is useful, it’s the longest I’ve wrote about an IEM and I’m a complete amateur at it. XD I will be sure to post back in this thread of anything relevant I feel the need to share that I did not cover. I am sure I forgot some things.

Happy listening!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #215 of 6,233
You may not be a reviewer but you have confirmed every aspect of the performance of these special IEMS' in PM's and this review. Pretty much every thing I have heard and felt about these you concur with. Thanks for participating in this tour your input is appreciated.

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #216 of 6,233
You may not be a reviewer but you have confirmed every aspect of the performance of these special IEMS' in PM's and this review. Pretty much every thing I have heard and felt about these you concur with. Thanks for participating in this tour your input is appreciated.

Ah I knew I forgot something! HUGE thanks to @bogdan belonozhko and @John2e for allowing those of us to demo these great IEMs. It’s a privilege to experience these.

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #217 of 6,233
Okay I want to start posting some thoughts about the M5 now, I’ve been keeping mental notes of what I am hearing but if I don’t start writing I will lose track!

I’m not a reviewer by any means but I will try to get my thoughts across while being as generic as possible. Apologies in advanced if I sort of ramble/go off track but I’m just writing from what’s in my head. :)

The build quality of these IEMs is fantastic, they feel up on par if not superior to the 64 audio universal IEMs. Just holding them you can feel the quality of the materials used and how well they have been put together. Easily some of the best there is to offer that I have gotten to experience.

I did not get to use the stock FiR provided cable with the M5 as I do not own a 4.4 to 2.5mm adapter, so all listening was done with my PW Audio 1960s 4 wire and 1950s cable with the provided 2-pin to RCX adapter, so unfortunately i cannot provide any comparisons to the FiR provided cable.

My right ear canal is also rather narrow so the seal is not as good there as my left ear but I didn’t really find it to be an issue in terms of comfort or notice any sound imbalance.

These IEMs are very special. A fully tubeless IEM possesses something about them that is just so pure sounding, I am getting very similar vibes to the tia Fourte with the M5 although the tuning is very different in a positive way. I also find these IEMs to be some of the least fatiguing I have ever heard, I don’t know how to describe it in words well but it just makes me feel like the sounds are floating around in the air around me.

I opted to use symbio w tips with my listening sessions as they’re the most comfortable for me. I am struggling a bit to find a “sound profile” for these IEMs, and by that I mean I can’t really tell if I consider them to be balanced or maybe ever so slightly U-shaped. There are some tracks where I hear the bass and treble to be slightly more present but never do I feel the mids are recessed? It’s hard for me to explain. I think part of this is coming down to how well the bass and treble extends on both ends as well as the genre of music that is being played. It is also a very coherent IEM considering it has 3 different types of drivers at play here. Vocals sound absolutely fantastic and give you the feeling that you have someone sitting there just singing to you personally just a few feet away. Specifically female vocals sound absolutely amazing and may be one of my highlights of these IEMs. The bass is some of the cleanest bass I have heard in quality while also giving you enough quantity to satisfy any bass needs without bleeding into the other frequencies. The treble presence packs a lot of details and extends superbly with a lovely velvety smooth sound to it. I am sure this is with the help of the e-stat driver but with albums I am beyond familiar with such as Ascend by Illenium I am finding myself picking out more details in the higher frequencies than I am used to hearing with my A18t, which is saying quite a lot! There is also plenty of air moving around in the higher notes which sounds absolutely fantastic.

These are rather sensitive IEMs so driving them is no issue even with my iPhone but I do hear quite a bit of hiss with something such as my iBasso DC01, to where I would say it’s not a pleasurable listen unless I turn the volume up loud enough to drown the hiss/waterfall noise out. Obviously with something like my SP2000 it’s relatively quiet and sounds superb. I can also confirm that between both the DC01 and the SP2000 SS I noticed no differences in the actual sound signature and presentation, but obviously the SP2000 provides a much wider stage with better dynamics and a way blacker background.

As a quick cable comparison I found the 1950s to smooth out the M5 sound far too much, I felt it hurt the top end of the IEM which to me is one of the showcase aspects of the M5. Something just sounded a bit off.

The 1960s 4 wire with the M5 is an absolutely stunning pairing. I find the 1960s to be a slightly more revealing and sound extending cable over the 1950s so it just matched so well with the M5. With all that being said, I didn’t notice an immediate difference when I cable swapped. It took about 3 days of listening with the 1960s and then one day with no listening at all, then a day with the 1950s to finally realize that the 1960s pairing was much better.

Overall these IEMs are on the top of my wish list, I told myself I wouldn’t buy another CIEM after being so content with the A18t but these offer something so special that I am considering getting a custom one made in the future depending on some things.

Really looking forward to seeing other people’s impressions who are demo’ing the M5. Hopefully this mini review/impression is useful, it’s the longest I’ve wrote about an IEM and I’m a complete amateur at it. XD I will be sure to post back in this thread of anything relevant I feel the need to share that I did not cover. I am sure I forgot some things.

Happy listening!

It’s a really honest review, I have ever read well done. Another reason to keep 1960s :D

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #219 of 6,233
I had the A12ts for over a year and absolutely loved them. I lost them and was going to buy them again until I heard the M4s. The A12t probably has the best BA bass I've heard. It almost feels like a dynamic presentation. In simple terms, I would describe them as being fun and analytical in a way, because you get lots of details w/ those Tia drivers. I'd say they probably are a little more detailed or at least slightly brighter than the M4s (although I don't feel I'm missing anything w/ M4s). On the custom version, from memory I feel that the bass has slightly more qty than M4. Overall, they are fairly neutral I'd say. The M4, is very well balanced overall, I really like what Fir Audio has done with the tuning of their dynamic drivers. They have excellent extension (maybe better than A12t from memory), but are very well controlled for DD. I heard the Empire Ears lineup and while I generally liked them, I had issues with how slow and bloated the W9 DD can get. The M4s have excellent speed and are so well controlled. Where I'd say the M4s and really everything I've heard from Fir make a huge difference for me was on the emotional and engaging perception I get from listening to music. I believe it has to do with them having that tubeless design, so I imagine there is more air movement and also the sound stage is more 3D and natural sounding in a way. I'd audition them if you could, but honestly, I'm not looking back at the A12ts which are great, but I believe Fir audio is on to something here.

+1 about the bass of the M3. I have the tour pair of M3 as well as a borrowed U12t. The M3 go a bit deeper, have more detail and add the slam ability of a dynamic driver. That is a first impression based on a couple days with the M3 and only a couple hours with both.

Finally had some time to open everything and play for a bit :)

The M3's are super nice. The Matt silver is unique and classy and a pleasure to look at. It too seems more like a Medical grade instrument when compared to some other brands. The 3' have the same signature as the 5's but sounds a bit more even (not elevated in any particular frequency). Also not as extending in bass and treble but only by a tiny margin. The M5's bass slams you.. it is tactile yet not boomy.

I am placing my order for the M3's

The M5's are in deep red. I initially did not like it. It was different and shocking looking. Now I must have it. It is simply gorgeous and befitting of such a great IEM. I have the 5's in rose gold. Nice but not that in your face look of the reds... YMMV

I will try the 4's tomorrow.

Going in reverse: I hope the M3 will be available with matte red face plates like those M5...

The bass of the M3 is awe inspiring. I just listened to Joe Satriani's "Crystal Planet" and it sounded like the Supernova Shockwave tour my son and I went to a couple of years ago. Bass was thumping and visceral (except only in my head, rather than in my whole body). Joe's guitar is front, center and pure, just like in real life. There's air to the top end (cymbals in this case): the tubeless balanced armature is real...

I do have a couple of potential negatives, but you'll have to wait. Full review coming next week when I have to send these on to the next lucky person on the tour.

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #220 of 6,233
If I end up purchasing the M5 then yes the 1960s matches so good with it, however I have no comparison to the stock cable unfortunately as I didn’t have the correct adapter to use a 4.4mm on a 2.5mm input. :frowning2:
Stock cable is really good when pairing with M5. I have tested some of flagship cable, and found out that stock cable can give the best image. I personally love the labkable pandora with M5. Sound become more balance with fuller body mid, more treble sparkle, the bass hit more punch.

Dec 6, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #222 of 6,233
Does anyone know FiR’s policy on custom IEMs ownership transfers/reshells?

i can’t find anything on the website and I can’t get an answer via email either.

I will have an answer by the end of the day

Dec 6, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #223 of 6,233
If I end up purchasing the M5 then yes the 1960s matches so good with it, however I have no comparison to the stock cable unfortunately as I didn’t have the correct adapter to use a 4.4mm on a 2.5mm input. :frowning2:

Curious to see how @mvvRAZ responds to this.

He said he didn't hear much difference when modifying parts of the audio chain with his fir, if I'm not mistaken.

Dec 6, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #224 of 6,233

He said he didn't hear much difference when modifying parts of the audio chain with his fir, if I'm not mistaken.

for me it wasn’t as drastic of a change as it is with something like my A18t (where I personally don’t like the 1960s pair at all) but it was noticeable enough that I knew I preferred the 60s over the 50s.

I believe Bogdan himself has also stated cable rolling should have an effect but he would have to confirm that.

Dec 6, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #225 of 6,233

Yeah I tried a number of sources but couldn’t change the sound whatsoever. Some minimal differences at best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back