Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 22, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #1,382 of 6,237
Maybe your dap is also mid forward and it emphasis the mids forward?
I've tried 2 DAPs and my desktop system, and it was almost the same.

Could be that i prefer mids slightly recessed, i usually have no problem with V/U/W shaped signatures, but mids (or maybe upper mids) on 5x5 are not to my liking at all.

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #1,383 of 6,237
I've tried 2 DAPs and my desktop system, and it was almost the same.

Could be that i prefer mids slightly recessed, i usually have no problem with V/U/W shaped signatures, but mids (or maybe upper mids) on 5x5 are not to my liking at all.
Your preference is yours, don't let anyone change it. It's your audio journey after all.

Dec 24, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #1,384 of 6,237
Crinacle has the measurements of VxV now:

VxV.jpg

Must be one of these peaks in the mids that have bothered me so much.
Unless the unit variance is as high as with other Fir models, and mine sounded entirely different :)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #1,385 of 6,237
Any suggestions regarding cable rolling with VxV? :)

Jan 11, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #1,386 of 6,237
Crinacle has the measurements of VxV now:

VxV.jpg

Must be one of these peaks in the mids that have bothered me so much.
Unless the unit variance is as high as with other Fir models, and mine sounded entirely different :)
That's where I have a dip in my right ear hearing. Maybe it will work for me. :)

I'll keep this on my tracking list.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #1,388 of 6,237
Any suggestions regarding cable rolling with VxV? :)

I use scorpion C and full copper and fiio pure silver.
I switch when ever I feel like it 😃

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #1,389 of 6,237
Finally able to heard VxV today!

Honestly, they sound more "reference" than I expected. More linear in tuning compare to M5, that's for sure.

It may sounds dry for people who usually listen something lush and thicker like Audeze, but VxV has good impact and energy to create sound become not boring at all.

A true real contender to the MMR Gae Bolg!

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #1,392 of 6,237
I recently bought an M5 from a fellow head-fier and have been really impressed. I've found no frequency lacking. The midrange has great clarity. Bass is clean and shows authority when needed. The soundstage is large and well organized. It is precise and well separated. So far loving what I am hearing.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #1,394 of 6,237
Oh brilliant . Do you know a particular cable from them you’d recommend for the M5 . It’s the only CIEM I have at the moment .

Well personally, the best pairing I heard with the M5 was the 1960s 4 wire but I didn’t want to use adapters to reterminate to RCX. From doctorjuggles I got a 4 wire silver as I personally felt the M5 has some warmth to sacrifice. It sounds noticeably more extended than the stock SPC 8 wire and still retains a good level of warmth and texture.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #1,395 of 6,237
Well personally, the best pairing I heard with the M5 was the 1960s 4 wire but I didn’t want to use adapters to reterminate to RCX. From doctorjuggles I got a 4 wire silver as I personally felt the M5 has some warmth to sacrifice. It sounds noticeably more extended than the stock SPC 8 wire and still retains a good level of warmth and texture.
Wish try it once. I have two cable stock fir includes SPC and Pure Cooper. I also tried the 1960s 4 wire with my M5 that's an excellent pair but i have to use an adapter which i just use for test cable which I never like to use for a long period of time :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back