Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jul 14, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #1,216 of 6,233
Jul 28, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,218 of 6,233
Has there been any official word on Unit Variance? I've seen quite a few reviews that mention this and its quite off-putting to someone who's contemplating the M4.

My guess is the variance comes from the older version (pre July) vs revised tuning that came out around July last year. A local shop has them for demo which I can compare with mine if I go there (I own the M5 though). I’m not too sure if the other models had a tuning revision though.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #1,219 of 6,233
My guess is the variance comes from the older version (pre July) vs revised tuning that came out around July last year. A local shop has them for demo which I can compare with mine if I go there (I own the M5 though). I’m not too sure if the other models had a tuning revision though.
If you could that would be great! Yeah from what I’ve read all models went through various tuning incarnations.

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #1,220 of 6,233
If you could that would be great! Yeah from what I’ve read all models went through various tuning incarnations.

I think there is a variation caused by where they purchased the units. Originally the universal model in North America has a golden faceplate if I remember that correctly. The latest version are red. Probably caused by the difference in the material?

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #1,222 of 6,233
I’m surprised that impressions and reviews on the M4 are so scarce with the high praise given to them in the ones i have read (eg. Tighter and more impactful bass than the trio with better soundstage, technically as competent as the U12t etc).

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #1,223 of 6,233
I’m surprised that impressions and reviews on the M4 are so scarce with the high praise given to them in the ones i have read (eg. Tighter and more impactful bass than the trio with better soundstage, technically as competent as the U12t etc).
I really wanted to compare the M4 with the Trio, but then covid... I have the Trio and really like it. Maybe if things ever calm down I'll get another opportunity to listen to the M4. I liked it when I have the tour pair. I was surprised when I decided the M4 would be a better A/B comparison to the Trio than the M3. But the M3 and Trio are nothing alike.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #1,224 of 6,233
I really wanted to compare the M4 with the Trio, but then covid... I have the Trio and really like it. Maybe if things ever calm down I'll get another opportunity to listen to the M4. I liked it when I have the tour pair. I was surprised when I decided the M4 would be a better A/B comparison to the Trio than the M3. But the M3 and Trio are nothing alike.

from memory, what are the main differences to you from the trio and M4? And also, why is the M3 nothing like the trio and the M4 is?

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #1,225 of 6,233
One of our team got some time with the M4, comparisons to Andromeda and Dita Dream XLS in our full review today :relaxed:

https://headfonics.com/fir-audio-m4-review/

1596367860418.png

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #1,226 of 6,233
from memory, what are the main differences to you from the trio and M4? And also, why is the M3 nothing like the trio and the M4 is?
My review of both the M4 and M3 are posted in Head Gear here. I was given two chances to hear the M3 during the tour. I really liked it on its first visit, but the second time around I found the bass too heavy and ever-present for my taste. That was after some extended time with my Trio and perhaps even after I'd had my Questyle QP2R which transformed my Meze Rai Pentas. After some experience with other IEMs I found the M3 to be too bass-centric to be the all-arounder I was looking for. Fun for sure, but not an IEM I'd want to listen to every day. The difference between my first audition and the second is during my first audition I was completely floored by the bass energy and fun of the M3- it was exactly what I'd been missing but kept hearing about from fans of the Legend X, Atlas, et cetera. The second time around my bass itch had been somewhat scratched and I'd been able to listen to other more balanced offerings which still provided bass I found satisfying. I'd heard some real-world products which could provide both strong bass and good mids and treble. I didn't have to choose.

If you look up my review and scroll down to section 15 you'll read my comparison between the M3, M4 and Trio. The short version is: I liked the Trio treble better than the M4. Extension and detail were similar but the Trio is "sweeter" (I haven't found a better adjective than that unfortunately). M4 treble is more "analytical" and Trio treble is more "musical". This is a case of differing presentations rather than differing ability. Which you choose would have to be based on your preference, you'd miss any music by picking one or the other. I liked the M4 bass better than the Trio (more energy and impact from the M4).

There's an on-going discussion on the 64Audio thread about the Trio. I'm one of those who find the Trio bass deep and strong, but not overwhelming; and the treble extended and detailed but never harsh or sibilant. As I said: I'd like, eventually, another audition with the M4. It keeps rattling around in the back of my mind.

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,227 of 6,233
I own the Trio and demoed the M4 for a few days. While the M4 was good, to me the Trio was significantly better. M4 imaging and layering was great, vocals as well. Bass texture was also a standout, I just wanted more of it. The dealbreaker - soundstage was very "in my head", whereas the Trio sounds spacious and a little out of head. It was such a big contrast A/Bing them, even with the solid M4 tuning I knew pretty quickly I wouldn't be buying.

I'm shocked none of the Fir universals come standard with their Atom sockets. The modules are great in the 64 IEMs, so feels like a wasted opportunity to not use a proven tuning system to add value on TOTL priced products. Hopefully they implement for future releases

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #1,228 of 6,233
I own the Trio and demoed the M4 for a few days. While the M4 was good, to me the Trio was significantly better. M4 imaging and layering was great, vocals as well. Bass texture was also a standout, I just wanted more of it. The dealbreaker - soundstage was very "in my head", whereas the Trio sounds spacious and a little out of head. It was such a big contrast A/Bing them, even with the solid M4 tuning I knew pretty quickly I wouldn't be buying.

I'm shocked none of the Fir universals come standard with their Atom sockets. The modules are great in the 64 IEMs, so feels like a wasted opportunity to not use a proven tuning system to add value on TOTL priced products. Hopefully they implement for future releases

Yeah they use atom modules internally, simiilar to Trio with internal apex module.

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,229 of 6,233

Can I ask what sources were you using when comparing the trio and the M4?

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #1,230 of 6,233
Can I ask what sources were you using when comparing the trio and the M4?
DX200Ti and DX220, not sure what amp module I used tho. Take my impressions with a grain of salt, it's been almost a year since I demoed them. Should have mentioned that. Still, I sent them back confident they weren't for me even though I went in willing to buy.

Not sure where you are, but ask for a demo. I wish I would have waited to try the M3 since its supposed to be bassier, but the M4 definitely has some great qualities. I would say they should be great for rock - I remember vocals and drums sticking out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back