Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 28, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #721 of 6,234
i think it's the presentation of the m5 that's v-shaped, rather than its overall capability being v-shaped (i.e. it isn't lacking midrange detail, per se, it's just in how it's presented.) didn't really know what a v-shape sounded like, but once i heard the m5 i was like, "WOW, that's a V."

m5 is absolutely bangin for electronic and pop music...so much energy.

i stand by my thoughts that the a18t is still the best for orchestral music without vocals (with vocals, i'd go elysium.)

erlkonig seriously sounds like a mashup of the m5 and a18...i'd need to hear the m5 side-by-side again to see which i actually prefer...
I think V shaped presentation as opposed to FR is the best way to put it, agreed.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #722 of 6,234
i think it's the presentation of the m5 that's v-shaped, rather than its overall capability being v-shaped (i.e. it isn't lacking midrange detail, per se, it's just in how it's presented.) didn't really know what a v-shape sounded like, but once i heard the m5 i was like, "WOW, that's a V."

i stand by my thoughts that the a18t is still the best for orchestral music without vocals (with vocals, i'd go elysium.)

erlkonig seriously sounds like a mashup of the m5 and a18...i'd need to hear the m5 side-by-side again to see whether i prefer it or the erlky more...

I need to pull out of the erlk audition before its too late.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #723 of 6,234
gtfo

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #724 of 6,234
IMG_5299.JPG

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #726 of 6,234
^ that's your only hope.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #727 of 6,234
I don’t have a modded A18t but my best A18t setup was with the 1950s cable and SP2000 SS and the A18t to me is a more neutral presentation. The M5 definitely throws some excitement into the mix and yeah I also find the M5 to be more holographic. I hear more detail in the treble and the tubeless setup really makes music notes sort of just come from no where, it’s probably my favorite characteristic of this IEM. I was infatuated with tubeless designs since the tia Fourte so I’m glad to have it back in custom with the M5.
Thanks for the reply my guy. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the presentation is holographic

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #728 of 6,234

erlkonig seriously sounds like a mashup of the m5 and a18...i'd need to hear the m5 side-by-side again to see whether i prefer it or the erlky more...
This is an interesting perspective. I hope people don't pass on the M5 because a few reviews note that they're V-shaped, thus making people believe they have bad mids.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #729 of 6,234
”May I ask why 64a uses things like tia air chambers and tia bores?“

This is a great question. It’s all about taking the cover off and exposing the diaphragm. Once the tia drivers are exposed you cannot filter them in any way. The chambers are used to essentially filter and shape the sound of that driver. Alex and I discovered with fir’s method of tubeless design, customs were possible. This gives us a huge advantage over the tia system. Also bear in mind the “tia” customs, only the high driver is tubeless, the rest of the drivers are still tubed.
BTW what do you call fir's tubeless tech if 64audio calls theirs Tia?

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #731 of 6,234
This is an interesting perspective. I hope people don't pass on the M5 because a few reviews note that they're V-shaped, thus making people believe they have bad mids.

no no no...no bad mids. definitely never said that. the v-shape makes things sound super exciting because the bass and treble is pushed in your face...but it's done very well.

i put the m5 equally at the top of my list for best iem i've heard:

a18 / m5 / elysium / erlkonig

no bad mids...

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #732 of 6,234
no no no...no bad mids. definitely never said that. the v-shape makes things sound super exciting because the bass and treble is pushed in your face...but it's done very well.

i put the m5 equally at the top of my list for best iem i've heard:

a18 / m5 / elysium / erlkonig

no bad mids...
I need to pull out of the erlk audition before its too late.

I auditioned the Erl as well in my line up. It has quite a good sound I just felt like you had to give up too many ergonomic factors to achieve a sound that... Eh.. it's really good but more or less on par with M5, Elysium, Wraith, etc.

With the Erl - the first thing for me that stood out was the weight. Super heavy in my ears and I had discomfort after less then an hour. For me, price wise and how much I love to actually spend loads of time listening to music.. fit and comfort for hours is the second most important thing. Second only to the sound.

Fit isn't terrible in the ears, but I actually felt the fit in the universal M5s were better then the Erl. And I bought them custom so.. fit could be better on the Erl.

Sound - to me they were much too empty in the low end below the 3rd or full 4 tuning settings for low end. So, if I were to own these, the 1 and 2 settings would basically be useless. I auditioned mostly settling into the full 4 setting I believe if I remember correctly. Everything else was just not as full and dynamic across the spectrum of sound and performance.

Looks - To me, I do not think they look very good. The silver is made to be a bit dull/bleak vs nice sheen and shine. Kind of like 'Matte' Esq vibe to it that I think kills the silver anyway. And the finish is rediculously scratchable. Infact, employee that was handling them for me during the demo dropped them onto the counter, (infront of the owner of the store - funny enough) a 6 inch drop and they got scratched. The silver is much too big of a hassle to be worth much in my opinion.

Price difference - honestly... The huge price gap here is not even close to worth it. Even if price were not an issue for those of deep pockets, I much more preferred the Elysium if you're going with VE. I A/B'd both directly back and forth too. The Elysium immediately pulled me in and gave me a show, the Erl was just, good but nothing particularly outstanding in relation. So even if you've got the spending budget, I don't think the Erl is worthy of choice in the performance vs Elysium or others. Especially considering the Elysium sound would undeniably improve if I had a custom version. With the Erl, I heard the best it'll get since it's only Uni.

This of course is based on my ears and tastes and observations of the sounds and how I hear them with the music I tested and enjoy. Others may see, appreciate, or enjoy things differently

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #733 of 6,234
I auditioned the Erl as well in my line up. It has quite a good sound I just felt like you had to give up too many ergonomic factors to achieve a sound that... Eh.. it's really good but more or less on par with M5, Elysium, Wraith, etc.

With the Erl - the first thing for me that stood out was the weight. Super heavy in my ears and I had discomfort after less then an hour. For me, price wise and how much I love to actually spend loads of time listening to music.. fit and comfort for hours is the second most important thing. Second only to the sound.

Fit isn't terrible in the ears, but I actually felt the fit in the universal M5s were better then the Erl. And I bought them custom so.. fit could be better on the Erl.

Sound - to me they were much too empty in the low end below the 3rd or full 4 tuning settings for low end. So, if I were to own these, the 1 and 2 settings would basically be useless. I auditioned mostly settling into the full 4 setting I believe if I remember correctly. Everything else was just not as full and dynamic across the spectrum of sound and performance.

Price difference - honestly... The huge price gap here is not even close to worth it. Even if price were not an issue for those of deep pockets, I much more preferred the Elysium if you're going with VE. I A/B'd both directly back and forth too. The Elysium immediately pulled me in and gave me a show, the Erl was just, good but nothing particularly outstanding in relation. So even if you've got the spending budget, I don't think the Erl is worthy of choice in the performance vs Elysium or others. Especially considering the Elysium sound would undeniably improve if I had a custom version. With the Erl, I heard the best it'll get since it's only Uni.

I find the ergonomics of the erlky actually work quite well for me, but i know that's not so for others. @rantng, who had these before me couldn't even get a good fit all...

frankly, pretty much agree with everything you said...although i do think the erlkonig is extremely technically proficient and enjoyable to listen to. i'd say for me, it's easily the best universal i've ever heard. its tuning isn't special or unique, like the elysium, but it sounds damn good.

i do think the m5 actually provides quite a similarly exciting listening experience...i wish i had the m5 to a/b. based on price alone, (and custom and full tubeless) i'd probably go m5.

elysium will be my next buy, no question...then probably m5.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #734 of 6,234
Jan 28, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #735 of 6,234
FYI

The only one that can be customized is FIR.
Yes, Bogdan addressed that in a previous reply :) What is the technology called though?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back