Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Mar 23, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #6,151 of 6,244
I have one more suggestion (some may strongly disagree) but swap the balanced cable out and go 3.5mm output and see what happens. I find the Xe6 and Rn6 sound a bit overdriven when they’re provided too much power. Same goes for running them on high or medium gain on certain DAPs. More power does not automatically equate better. These headphones are very dynamic and it can easily get fatiguing. The focus should be the quality of that power. I’m probably going to get murdered for saying this but I prefer them with standard 3.5mm out of RS8 and R8 II. I do put turbo mode on however which preservers dynamics but makes them much less aggressive. I probably do take a slight hit in resolution and soundstage and so forth but at the end of day the sound is more enjoyable to my ears and that’s what matters.
I use low gain out of balanced with N8i also.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #6,152 of 6,244
Fir Audio E12 considered a flagship model for electron series?

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #6,153 of 6,244
Question on the ATOM modules. I recently got a Neon, tried the modules and I as I was swapping got curious as to what the sound is without a module all together.
Turns out, it makes the Neon more of what I’d hoped it’d be. Reduced bass (but still plenty) and opened up the midrange and treble, with seemingly no ill effects. Is there any harm or problem with using them this way? I figured the tuning would be way off without the module, but it seemed to make them substantially less dark and more natural?

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #6,154 of 6,244
Guys what's the full form of FiR audio (even if redundant)?

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #6,155 of 6,244
FiR is a type of tree, it's one of their logos :)

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #6,156 of 6,244
Ok so after 40+ hours of play, earphones are much less aggressive at the top. Higher notes and vocals are now well controlled. But my worry is bass leakage, not sure if this is by design or it is my ear anatomy by when I push them towards my head, bass level seams right. When they just sit in my ears, there is leak which is very apparent in bass driven music. Well, any music suffers as instruments and vocals can go very low. And I am not sure if I can be happy with this :frowning2:

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #6,157 of 6,244
Ok so after 40+ hours of play, earphones are much less aggressive at the top. But my worry now is bass leakage, not sure if this is by design or it is my ear anatomy by when I push them towards my head, bass level seams right. When they just in my ears, there is leak whis is very apparent in bass driven music. Well, any music suffers as instruments and vocals can go very low. And I am not sure if I can be happy with this :frowning2:
Try different eartips so that you get a good seal. I used Azla Crystals with my XE6

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #6,159 of 6,244
Yes I am waiting for some to arrive, but... not sure if it will help. It exists with both eartips types provided.
Azla Crystal or Xelastec will help in keeping IEM intact inside ear canal and will minimize leakage. Just use the right size.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #6,161 of 6,244
Yes I am waiting for some to arrive, but... not sure if it will help. It exists with both eartips types provided.
I found I had to half size down Crystals/XELASTECS to MS. But with MS they start to slip out when skin oils get on em. The M provide a solid fit but do change the sound (a little more space/reverb? Not sure, perhaps more material interacting or perhaps deep fit vs snug fit) the MS are more detailed in my experience with the deeper fit even if a mild inconvenience (just wipe em on my t shirt after an hour no biggie, i keep my ears very clean).

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #6,162 of 6,244
I didn't like any of the stock included tips. There are numerous others out there. I like the original Spiral Dot tips by JVC myself.
I completely missed Spiral Dot…one of the best with XE6. I even use it with Singularity.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #6,163 of 6,244
Ok so after 40+ hours of play, earphones are much less aggressive at the top. Higer notes and vocals are now well controlled. But my worry is bass leakage, not sure if this is by design or it is my ear anatomy by when I push them towards my head, bass level seams right. When they just sit in my ears, there is leak whis is very apparent in bass driven music. Well, any music suffers as instruments and vocals can go very low. And I am not sure if I can be happy with this :frowning2:
I had the same problem until I realised I needed a deeper fit. I do this by pushing the tip further up the nozzle. You can see there are markings on the nozzle. Make sure theres a little gap between the eartips and the base of the ear piece, maybe one or two up from where the markings start. I hope that makes sense… I didn’t personally enjoy the sound as much when the eartips sat flush with the opening.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #6,164 of 6,244
I had the same problem until I realised I needed a deeper fit. I do this by pushing the tip further up the nozzle. You can see there are markings on the nozzle. Make sure theres a little gap between the eartips and the base of the ear piece, maybe one or two up from where the markings start. I hope that makes sense… I didn’t personally enjoy the sound as much when the eartips sat flush with the opening.
Deeper fit did not work for me with provided tips.
Today symbio foam/silicon arrived and it is an improvement. I think seal is better and they sit more secured inside ear canal. Music is not as lean sounding as before, there is more weight and energy. Rotating earphones slightly backward also helps. We will see with other tips when they arrive.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #6,165 of 6,244
Deeper fit did not work for me with provided tips.
Today symbio foam/silicon arrived and it is an improvement. I think seal is better and they sit more secured inside ear canal. Music is not as lean sounding as before, there is more weight and energy. Rotating earphones slightly backward also helps. We will see with other tips when they arrive.
I think with the RN6 when I had the universal you really need the best seal over depth. I switched to a custom, definitely improved the bass even with just the red module. RN6 with the stock cable does not have warm mids, they’re closer to neutral. If you want more weight in the mids even the reasonably priced Eletech Raphael will do this and soften the edge on the highs a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back