Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Mar 22, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #6,137 of 6,244
Check out The Platters Twilight Time (Single Version) and Enchanted. Then check Travelin' Man by Ricky Nelson :wink:
If those sound good, you're in a solid balance (they also sound ridiculous on the RN6 for stereo image and staging)
I left it over night under battery supply. So I will get to 30h by the evening. Tempted to listen, but maybe wait till than. Thanks for suggestions.

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #6,139 of 6,244
Thanks, are there tips in size between small and medium? From what provided by Fir only foam medium size works for me.
Spinfits and azla both have MS. In case of spinfit omnis, they are slightly smaller so you need to go 1 size up (M if you usually use MS).

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #6,140 of 6,244
Thanks, are there tips in size between small and medium? From what provided by Fir only foam medium size works for me.

As others have suggested, tip rolling is the most effect way to fine tune your RN6's signature. AZLA Crystals are my go to for most with Spinfit Omni and AZLA SednaEarFit Vivids my latest favs. AZLA SednaEartFit Light short are also great for taming peaks.

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #6,141 of 6,244
Spinfit and a few other brands make MS size or an in between size.

Spinfits and azla both have MS. In case of spinfit omnis, they are slightly smaller so you need to go 1 size up (M if you usually use MS).

I would need MS, if foam/silicon combined (as orange stock).
For silicon only, M size should be ok, as I used in the past Westone Black M size 12mm.
For me stock M orange needs to be screwed in into my ear. Very tight.

But, in Brexitland, not easy to get any of tips you suggesting. Will need to be imported :face_palm:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #6,142 of 6,244
As others have suggested, tip rolling is the most effect way to fine tune your RN6's signature. AZLA Crystals are my go to for most with Spinfit Omni and AZLA SednaEarFit Vivids my latest favs. AZLA SednaEartFit Light short are also great for taming peaks.
Interesting, I notice peaks just with the AZLA SednaEartFit Light Short. Peaks are reduced for me with the W1 and AET07, for example.

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #6,144 of 6,244
I left it over night under battery supply. So I will get to 30h by the evening. Tempted to listen, but maybe wait till than. Thanks for suggestions.

Yesterday at 72 volume it was so bright and so much energy above 10k it was impossible to listen without eq. everything above 12k.

Now, after 27h of play at the same volume level, is much more balanced, energy in higher frequencies went down, and it is more delicate up there. S syllables do not bite and spike so much. If I use the same eq settings now, it becomes bit boring, less sparkle, tamed. I think it will still improve in time.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #6,145 of 6,244
Major props to FiR for fulfilling my custom cable request for my Rn6, and letting me keep an extra cable after I was sent a E12 cable by mistake. Due to this mishap it took 3months from purchase to get everything and my only gripe is lack of communication during this time. My distributor was left in the dark as well. I am just a small fry from a business point of view, and my shirt removal skills lack the charisma Usher has, but I'd prefer a little bit more info here and there :)

Hurray for another happy RN6 owner.

Mine is on my way back to me with the E10/12 tour units.

I dropped it off with Bogdan for a 2-pin replacement and deep clean since they are my EDC custom and were getting beat from cable rolling and being used at the gym.

They sorted the repair in a week for me which is great timelines versus the waits I'm used to!

(also, may or may not be standard experience because I get to badger Bogdan direct over text).

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #6,146 of 6,244
Hi Kozwoz,

Did burn in process change anything?
I have new set as well now and I am finding what you discovered a while ago.
There is a lot of energy above 10k taking over the sound, meaning only normal listening volume is possible or bit louder but.... than I need to eq minus all above 12khz.
Is there burn in process for earphones as for speakers (in speakers it is about rubber to settle) ?
From my experience in home audio, listing at home and my friends very good systems, and what I hear now is more like studio monitor, bright and reveling , rather than high fidelity audio. Like I said, there too much energy in higher frequencies taking over the whole presentation.
I wonder if this has something to do with silver cable or A&K SE300. Will test it under Mytek Brooklyn, but waiting for 6.35/4mm adapter.
I found the burn in process subtle. The supplied silver cable is relatively bright compared to other cables. I would swap it out for a copper cable. Like others have said the right tips can make a huge difference. Finding the right ones that work for you can take a while. I also find the RN6 relatively bright but I’ve come to terms with it and it doesn’t bother me as much now.

In the end I bought the Xe6 and now I swap between them depending on the the mood I’m in and the genre of music I’m listening to. I use the Hiby R8 II and RS8 and find these players less digital sounding than others. The Mojo 2 for example was a bad combo to my ears.

A little EQ can do wonders and I rarely listen to either the Rn6 or the Xe6 without it. The filters do help to get it closer to your preference but EQ is better in my opinion.

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #6,147 of 6,244
I found the burn in process subtle. The supplied silver cable is relatively bright compared to other cables. I would swap it out for a copper cable. Like others have said the right tips can make a huge difference. Finding the right ones that work for you can take a while. I also find the RN6 relatively bright but I’ve come to terms with it and it doesn’t bother me as much now.

In the end I bought the Xe6 and now I swap between them depending on the the mood I’m in and the genre of music I’m listening to. I use the Hiby R8 II and RS8 and find these players less digital sounding than others. The Mojo 2 for example was a bad combo to my ears.

A little EQ can do wonders and I rarely listen to either the Rn6 or the Xe6 without it. The filters do help to get it closer to your preference but EQ is better in my opinion.
For me first ~25h was massive difference. First hours were painful to my ears. Dunno, maybe I am more sensitive for higher frequencies, but... I am still half deaf as I hear only up to 15khz. My girlfriend 17khz (but she is 10 years younger).

Will try coper cable in time, tips ordered but will arrive in couple weeks time. Will have time to get use to it. Maybe will try xe6 in the future as well, but for me it is just to have music while outside or traveling. At home I have headphones and proper audio system in living room as well. But who knows, it kind of interesting how others IEM can sound :wink:

My A&K SE300 is also smooth, probably thanks to R-2R Dac as in R8. But I am not the fan of Class A implementation. AB is faster and have more energy at lower end. Better separation for instruments and vocals. Class A is like adding glue between lower end and mid. Vocals from standing alone, suddenly are wider at lower frequency and like mixed into bass notes. This is not what Class A is in home audio.

Regarding EQ in this DAP, I am kind of surprised that it does not lower quality in any dramatic way (if any). Speed is the same, resolution, transparency. It probably shows how technology has moved forward in last 10yers or so. I would never use EQ in home audio, but for this AK DAP does not do as much damage as one would expect.

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #6,148 of 6,244
For me first ~25h was massive difference. First hours were painful to my ears. Dunno, maybe I am more sensitive for higher frequencies, but... I am still half deaf as I hear only up to 15khz. My girlfriend 17khz (but she is 10 years younger).

Will try coper cable in time, tips ordered but will arrive in couple weeks time. Will have time to get use to it. Maybe will try xe6 in the future as well, but for me it is just to have music while outside or traveling. At home I have headphones and proper audio system in living room as well. But who knows, it kind of interesting how others IEM can sound :wink:

My A&K SE300 is also smooth, probably thanks to R-2R Dac as in R8. But I am not the fan of Class A implementation. AB is faster and have more energy at lower end. Better separation for instruments and vocals. Class A is like adding glue between lower end and mid. Vocals from standing alone, suddenly are wider at lower frequency and like mixed into bass notes. This is not what Class A is in home audio.

Regarding EQ in this DAP, I am kind of surprised that it does not lower quality in any dramatic way (if any). Speed is the same, resolution, transparency. It probably shows how technology has moved forward in last 10yers or so. I would never use EQ in home audio, but for this AK DAP does not do as much damage as one would expect.
I have one more suggestion (some may strongly disagree) but swap the balanced cable out and go 3.5mm output and see what happens. I find the Xe6 and Rn6 sound a bit overdriven when they’re provided too much power. Same goes for running them on high or medium gain on certain DAPs. More power does not automatically equate better. These headphones are very dynamic and it can easily get fatiguing. The focus should be the quality of that power. I’m probably going to get murdered for saying this but I prefer them with standard 3.5mm out of RS8 and R8 II. I do put turbo mode on however which preservers dynamics but makes them much less aggressive. I probably do take a slight hit in resolution and soundstage and so forth but at the end of day the sound is more enjoyable to my ears and that’s what matters.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #6,149 of 6,244
I have one more suggestion (some may strongly disagree) but swap the balanced cable out and go 3.5mm output and see what happens. I find the Xe6 and Rn6 sound a bit overdriven when they’re provided too much power. Same goes for running them on high or medium gain on certain DAPs. More power does not automatically equate better. These headphones are very dynamic and it can easily get fatiguing. The focus should be the quality of that power. I’m probably going to get murdered for saying this but I prefer them with standard 3.5mm out of RS8 and R8 II. I do put turbo mode on however which preservers dynamics but makes them much less aggressive. I probably do take a slight hit in resolution and soundstage and so forth but at the end of day the sound is more enjoyable to my ears and that’s what matters.
Actually that will be the case. I have nice copper cable for my old shure 846, so I will just ask toxic cable to swap to two pin connectors. It is 3.5mm.
And yes, I have also feeling that they can be overdriven by DAP. Will test it with my mytek where the jucie should have more quality, but need to wait for 6.35/4.4mm adapter to arrive.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #6,150 of 6,244
Hmm matches with my experience of using them at low gain out of balanced with Walkman. Better controlled and musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back