Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
May 16, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #4,516 of 6,244
For those that are in the US and would like to hear the Rn6 for themselves follow my link in my signature below to join our Fir Frontier Tour. I am currently working on adding the Rn6 to our current Frontier tour so we can all hear this incredible new IEM. My early impressions are that there are similarities to my Xenon 6, but the Rn6 even more detail and textures with a little more intimate soundstage. The intimacy may change with mechanical burn-in, but the additional textures and detail is significant. It almost makes the Xenon feel a little laid back. The textures are so good they almost tickle. This is definitely one you want to hear for yourself so join us on the tour.

Gorgeous RN6 custom and looking forward to your review. I can share I've also experienced that RN6 textural tickle with Phil Collin's "In the Air Tonight (Demo)" 🤭

https://tidal.com/browse/track/34452030

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/other-sides-phil-collins/vbawpwx4yj5tb

May 16, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #4,517 of 6,244
Just wanted to give a shout out to Fir's awesome support!

I got the courage up to roll Atoms on my Rn6 universal and sure enough it left the dreaded red residue behind... other companies would probably tell me to just deal with it (it is just cosmetic afterall), but Jessica and team at Fir Audio were super quick to send out the updated modules and kit without any fuss or pushback. Totally outstanding support when needed, even for us crazy detail obsessed people :) Many, many thanks!

Little things like this go so far in making me feel good about a purchase, especially a big emotional one like a TOTL IEM - I love to see companies with this passion.

May 16, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #4,519 of 6,244
May 16, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #4,521 of 6,244
Hello, anyone got the krypton 5 custom and could compare to a12t or a18t for producing purposes more than monitoring?
Found some reviews but not really clear if they are neutral or not?

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #4,522 of 6,244
Pffttt *caresses my dark-n-golden* UNI
If you give it enough heat, it can be a dark and golden custom Rn6 😉
Hello, anyone got the krypton 5 custom and could compare to a12t or a18t for producing purposes more than monitoring?
Found some reviews but not really clear if they are neutral or not?
Owned Kr5 uni and A12t. I found Kr5 to lie on the brighter side of things and generally more for listening.

A12t is darker and warmer in comparison and much less fatiguing as a result. Ended up moving to A18s which takes that up another notch.

May 16, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #4,523 of 6,244
If you give it enough heat, it can be a dark and golden custom Rn6 😉

Owned Kr5 uni and A12t. I found Kr5 to lie on the brighter side of things and generally more for listening.

A12t is darker and warmer in comparison and much less fatiguing as a result. Ended up moving to A18s which takes that up another notch.
I see, no need to demo them then i can stick to switching from my u12t to a12t.
Thank you

May 17, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #4,524 of 6,244
Gorgeous RN6 custom and looking forward to your review. I can share I've also experienced that RN6 textural tickle with Phil Collin's "In the Air Tonight (Demo)" 🤭

https://tidal.com/browse/track/34452030

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/other-sides-phil-collins/vbawpwx4yj5tb

Tried the links you provided and got too much noise so I opted for Amazon Music instead for much better results. I played the 2015 remaster in Ultra HD and the results were stunning.

LISTENING NOTES: The rhythm drum is in the foreground with a nice bounce where you can feel the fingers hitting the skin of the drum which may be silly as it could be an electronic drum. The real drum comes in with a nice hit and realistic splash set back a little with Phil's voice which moves forward offering more grit. The guitar is in the right channel and gritty to begin with then begins to move. Phil's voice is intimate and at the center of attention. The guitar strumming is where the tickle comes from. The ambiance is perfect with space between sounds while playing with each other realistically. The ambiance makes you feel like you are floating. The transition to impact toward the end is effortless and without issue in HD unlike what I heard in the lessor recordings. Against all odds came up next and this time it is the piano that tickles...just saying. :)

May 17, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #4,525 of 6,244

I got the courage up to roll Atoms on my Rn6 universal and sure enough it left the dreaded red residue behind... other companies would probably tell me to just deal with it (it is just cosmetic afterall), but Jessica and team at Fir Audio were super quick to send out the updated modules and kit without any fuss or pushback. Totally outstanding support when needed, even for us crazy detail obsessed people :) Many, many thanks!

Little things like this go so far in making me feel good about a purchase, especially a big emotional one like a TOTL IEM - I love to see companies with this passion.
Same here. I asked monday, replied once yesterday. Today i received a shipment notification. Really first class support. Appreciate this service pretty much. Makes me being in rn6-love even more.

May 18, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #4,526 of 6,244
Hello everyone! Just joined the club!
52906359441_5ddb0b5dfe.jpg

May 18, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #4,527 of 6,244
Quick update for those with the atom modules that are showing paint chipping/coming off. If you wish to interchange them for anodized atoms, reach out to Fir and they will send replacements, if needed.

Cody reached out to me a few weeks ago via phone letting me know that a fix was in the works and to hold tight for further communication. FFW to this week, I have just received the replacements yesterday. As expected, they look exactly the same as the others but no chipping issue...

Replacement and cleaning set incoming too – though I'm digging the mix of red-n-gold flakes 🤭

Many thanks to Jessica and FiR's incredible CS support for the quick follow-up!

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 1.52.26 PM.png

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #4,528 of 6,244
Just wanted to chime back in about my cable rolling with the RN6. I tend to get very enthusiastic about any tweak that allows me to hear gear I know well in a new way. The Code23 did that for me with the RN6. It redirected the spotlight every so slightly toward the lower registers vs. stock in a thoroughly enjoyable way. Mid bass became fuller but not bloated. Instruments that traverse the mids like sax and piano took on a richer, slightly darker tonality. Uppermids gained a bit more bite and attack. Dynamism was boosted. Treble didn't seem to lose anything. Soundstage was still wide and pretty airy.

I listened like this for about a week then just did some very exhausting back-and-forth between Code23 and stock and now I have come back to appreciating the stock cable even more. It's just so balanced and smooth and clean and quiet with more sub-bass definition and more air between instruments. Treble is a bit better extended. A tad more depth. Ergonomics-wise stock wins. The Code23 is super fun - and it provides a better kind of slam and warmth than rolling modules does for me. I find anything above (below?) red to take away from resolution and push mid-bass over the edge. The Code23 pushes that mid-bass but keeps it controlled. So it has a time and place but the stock is going to remain my go-to on the RN6.

There has been a lot of talk recently about how EA and Eletech have managed to make cables that defy assumptions about the sound characteristics of their underlying materials. Here I would argue Fir has done that too. There are obvious traits of silver in the RN6 stock cable but where it really wins for me is in a certain mid-range euphony that others cables have not brought to the RN6 for me. I would not expect this. Especially since the Code23, which also has certain characteristic of copper, seems to neutralize that midrange a bit. Which again I would not expect... It's hands-down the best stock cable I have heard in terms of synergy with the IEM is accompanies. Someone finally got it right!

So right now I am #teamstockcable for the RN6 with the asterisk that Code23 is great with it - just a different flavor.

May 18, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #4,530 of 6,244
Replacement and cleaning set incoming too – though I'm digging the mix of red-n-gold flakes 🤭

Many thanks to Jessica and FiR's incredible CS support for the quick follow-up!

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 1.52.26 PM.png
My replacement atom modules set came Monday. Installation was a snap, and once again, stellar customer service aside, I give major props to a company that saw a problem, had customers complain about said problem, and then decided to fix it rather than pretending it didn't exist. Fir gets better and better in my book. Major props to my friendly neighborhood  drug audio dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back