Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 26, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #2,011 of 6,244

Jan 26, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #2,012 of 6,244
Is it a tuning, this Kinetic bass, or some hardware thing, like BCD? Is it changing the entire bass spectrum or specific freq ranges, ie sub, mid bass centric? I assume you're referring to the bass experience on the electronic dance music you listen to, what does Kinetic bass do to say... Jazz or Orchestral music, if you listen to any of those?

Wow, big big statement that. I must say that I have been most impressed by all the reviews I've read on the XE6. Only thing that is detracting (somewhat) is the warm and thick mids. I'm imagining this over-lush syrupy enveloping almost suffocating sound (haha!) which I know can't the case but as I grow a little weary of the thick warm sound signature of too many IEMS, especially in my collection, I'm wondering if I need the epitome of that in the fold!

It's an open DD driver that is exposed directly to your ear (I believe). I noticed an improvement of what the kinetic bass is about in the CIEM over the UIEM, so I believe proximity to your ear is a factor too. I don't know the technicals behind it. It sounds like its definitely working throughout the whole bass spectrum on the XE6 as the entirety of the bass has the ability to sound incredibly enveloping and large without coming off as over emphasized, if that makes sense. Sorry haha I do not listen to jazz or orchestra stuff.

The mid range is definitely warm and thick, so if you're looking for high clarity or super separated/revealing type mids.. I can promise you the XE6 will not do that. The sound is very big and boisterous but its also a technical marvel to me. The resolution is great and the ability to dig deep in the smaller details is surprisingly good, something you would not expect from an IEM with this type of tuning. The finer details are very nicely articulated too as opposed to just coming off as a hazy/blobby mess. So if you're expecting an EE Odin type experience from this, then it's basically the direct opposite of that haha. Also if you are a fan of excellent macro dynamics then you need to check these out, they are the most "lively" sounding IEMs I have heard and the A12t/Annihilator are absolutely no slouches in that category.

For me these have been a home run and a half. I am a sucker for IEMs that deviate from the norm and offer an entirely different experience to bring to your music library. When you get that and add in some amazing technical ability too, its just such a breath of fresh air. With all that said, I do imagine the overall consensus of the XE6 will be polarizing.

I am really looking forward to more peoples impressions of the frontier series IEMs. I am working on getting a KR5 demo next week, pretty stoked about that.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #2,013 of 6,244
It's an open DD driver that is exposed directly to your ear (I believe). I noticed an improvement of what the kinetic bass is about in the CIEM over the UIEM, so I believe proximity to your ear is a factor too. I don't know the technicals behind it. It sounds like its definitely working throughout the whole bass spectrum on the XE6 as the entirety of the bass has the ability to sound incredibly enveloping and large without coming off as over emphasized, if that makes sense. Sorry haha I do not listen to jazz or orchestra stuff.

The mid range is definitely warm and thick, so if you're looking for high clarity or super separated/revealing type mids.. I can promise you the XE6 will not do that. The sound is very big and boisterous but its also a technical marvel to me. The resolution is great and the ability to dig deep in the smaller details is surprisingly good, something you would not expect from an IEM with this type of tuning. The finer details are very nicely articulated too as opposed to just coming off as a hazy/blobby mess. So if you're expecting an EE Odin type experience from this, then it's basically the direct opposite of that haha. Also if you are a fan of excellent macro dynamics then you need to check these out, they are the most "lively" sounding IEMs I have heard and the A12t/Annihilator are absolutely no slouches in that category.

For me these have been a home run and a half. I am a sucker for IEMs that deviate from the norm and offer an entirely different experience to bring to your music library. When you get that and add in some amazing technical ability too, its just such a breath of fresh air. With all that said, I do imagine the overall consensus of the XE6 will be polarizing.

I am really looking forward to more peoples impressions of the frontier series IEMs. I am working on getting a KR5 demo next week, pretty stoked about that.
You might be reacting to the Sound Reactor and not (entirely) the kinetic bass.

https://www.firaudio.com/technologies/openacoustics

The VxV dumps the DD and the two low-end BA's directly into the Sound Reactor, and what you experience is a tactility, from the IEM shell, that far exceeds just the lower bass frequencies. It extends well into the Mids. The shell of the IEM seems to resonate and interact with the facial muscles and bones immediate to the jaw, cheek and ear - which takes some time to adjust to - since it's additive to music which your brain is already well familiar with.

There is some interesting technology coming out of Fir.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #2,014 of 6,244

The VxV dumps the DD and the two low-end BA's directly into the Sound Reactor, and what you experience is a tactility, from the IEM shell, that far exceeds just the lower bass frequencies. It extends well into the Mids. The shell of the IEM seems to resonate and interact with the facial muscles and bones immediate to the jaw, cheek and ear - which takes some time to adjust to - since it's additive to music which your brain is already well familiar with.

Whatever it is, I love it.

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #2,015 of 6,244

Not sure if you've posted any pics before, but would love to see what the custom version of the handsome universal XE6 looks like. 😛

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #2,016 of 6,244
Not sure if you've posted any pics before, but would love to see what the custom version of the handsome universal XE6 looks like. 😛

Whatever your heart desires :p this is what I chose. Something more plain and not as flashy.

701CD193-147C-476F-AD8E-215B09F7C3B1.jpeg7F2EE1BA-8BC0-48A0-88D6-06BCDE203650.jpegB8BA3E63-6101-499C-826C-9635F046602A.jpeg

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #2,017 of 6,244

M-BCD or Muscle-Bone Conduction Device? Take that EE and UM haha!

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #2,018 of 6,244
Whatever your heart desires :p this is what I chose. Something more plain and not as flashy.

701CD193-147C-476F-AD8E-215B09F7C3B1.jpeg7F2EE1BA-8BC0-48A0-88D6-06BCDE203650.jpegB8BA3E63-6101-499C-826C-9635F046602A.jpeg
Hard to tell the material from the pics; is it still some kinda of resin? Same material as the Universal? How's the fit of the custom, having been a rushed order, as opposed to the uhh... problem we've both been having with.

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #2,019 of 6,244
Hard to tell the material from the pics; is it still some kinda of resin? Same material as the Universal? How's the fit of the custom, having been a rushed order, as opposed to the uhh... problem we've both been having with.

Just seems like a matte finished acrylic. No, the universal XE6 is stainless steel. Fit is perfect, it’s a 3D print from my old M5 impressions that I also used for my A12t. The matte finish takes some getting used to in your ear though. It doesn’t feel as grippy as a normal acrylic CIEM. I paid for 5 day rush build with overnight shipping… I had my order in on Thursday and the CIEM in my hands on the following Tuesday.

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #2,020 of 6,244
Did Bogdan say if there will be an EU tour? There are very few dealers that sell Fir Audio IEMs in the EU so it isn't really feasible to try them out over here. Maybe if DuneBlue the distributor has some demo pieces to ship around but that would also depend on demand.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #2,021 of 6,244
+1 for euro tour :)

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #2,022 of 6,244
I’m in for a South Africa tour @gLer :)

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #2,023 of 6,244
Since we were discussing the new DD configurations and my shell is actually decently transparent, I thought I’d post some pictures of the driver. It seems like it is attached directly behind the vent. I’m actually curious if 100% of the bass comes from that driver? If that’s so, I’d imagine that’s why we are hearing it like it’s coming from an entirely different place @aaf evo

E525ED42-AC8C-4AC3-A9C7-18BC08837C74.jpeg

912EA16B-F770-4EBD-8B64-660ADBA35F70.jpeg

458C4661-D279-49F7-8925-8504EDB3675F.jpeg

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #2,024 of 6,244
Since we were discussing the new DD configurations and my shell is actually decently transparent, I thought I’d post some pictures of the driver. It seems like it is attached directly behind the vent. I’m actually curious if 100% of the bass comes from that driver? If that’s so, I’d imagine that’s why we are hearing it like it’s coming from an entirely different place @aaf evo

E525ED42-AC8C-4AC3-A9C7-18BC08837C74.jpeg

912EA16B-F770-4EBD-8B64-660ADBA35F70.jpeg

458C4661-D279-49F7-8925-8504EDB3675F.jpeg
Do you mean directly to ADEL module?

Interesting… very interesting…

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #2,025 of 6,244
Do you mean directly to ADEL module?

Interesting… very interesting…
it's the plate opposite the ADEL module, and it's connected to the big vent that can be seen on all NF models

Users who are viewing this thread

Back