Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 23, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #1,981 of 6,366
Wow, I’m too scared to be “rough” with such an expensive pair of IEMs regardless of how indestructible they are

Hehe, i feel you… and a cable might go from time to time, but in my experience they are built for it. Even if I’m jumping up and down and shaking, the seal never breaks. I was tempted to get a VxV custom for exercising though 🤣

FiR's customs are intended for use on stage - they are indeed built for it.

I use my VxV basically 5-6 days out of the week for this purpose. Running, biking, HIIT, working on a bag, to basic weightlifting.

My only recommendation would be to keep in mind where it is on you at all times if you have a side hanging out. Don't want to accidentally smash them when you put down a weight or something.

Continuing to enjoy my VxV and I'm glad it's what I went with, vs something more expensive like an XE6 which I had the option of getting. The slightly V shaped, neutral warm signature works really well as an EDC since it's so inoffensive and non-genre specific.

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #1,983 of 6,366
I used my XE6 in the gym on Saturday, it was glorious. Sounded fantastic from the iPhone also. The build quality of these CIEMs (and lots of others) is built to last, you’ll be fine as long as you aren’t purposely mistreating them.

Having stuff like this at the gym makes working out a heck a lot of more fun, too!

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #1,985 of 6,366
Seriously lol. I ditched my AirPods Pro for the A12t in the gym back in September and I’ve not had a single regret. Just tuck the wire under the shirt and you’re good to go. 😎

Yep! I highly recommend getting used to wearing it behind your back too. Now that it's second nature to me, it makes sense why live performers do it that way.

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #1,986 of 6,366
I used my XE6 in the gym on Saturday, it was glorious. Sounded fantastic from the iPhone also. The build quality of these CIEMs (and lots of others) is built to last, you’ll be fine as long as you aren’t purposely mistreating them.
I asked this before here… how would be the durability of the open driver with sweat?

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #1,987 of 6,366
I asked this before here… how would be the durability of the open driver with sweat?

The only place sweat has ever concerned me with it was the 2 pin area and even then it’s not like I’m dripping like a waterfall.

I don’t feel that part of my ear gets any sweatier near the open DD than it would with just regular use.

Maybe @bogdan belonozhko can answer? I am curious too.

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #1,988 of 6,366
I dont know i can be happy too outside,

And this Utws5 pair with my M5…

Absolutely happy everywhere

D10303A2-CA49-41EA-B619-C80D94AD73C0.jpeg

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #1,990 of 6,366
I dont know i can be happy too outside,

And this Utws5 pair with my M5…

Absolutely happy everywhere

D10303A2-CA49-41EA-B619-C80D94AD73C0.jpeg
you got me there mate, I have an UTWS5 on order... what is that white cover on the connection? :thinking:

Jan 24, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #1,991 of 6,366
I’d be interested to know how these stack up against the Fostex TM2!
I dont have TM2 and its very rare item in Indonesia.
you got me there mate, I have an UTWS5 on order... what is that white cover on the connection? :thinking:
its a rubber ring stopper. For mmcx not freely rotating

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #1,993 of 6,366
The only place sweat has ever concerned me with it was the 2 pin area and even then it’s not like I’m dripping like a waterfall.

I don’t feel that part of my ear gets any sweatier near the open DD than it would with just regular use.

Maybe @bogdan belonozhko can answer? I am curious too.
No immediate threat to the iems with sweat, but I would definitely recommend the IEM Dryer if there is any moisture involved. Over a longer period of time moisture can cause issues down the road with any brand of IEM’s. For IEM longevity this is the best investment you can make. There is a timer on the cable so popping them in for a couple hours at least once a week would keep them in top shape in that regard. It can be used with a USB power bank for portability as well. It has a heating element at the bottom and a fan at the top to expel moisture from the case when operating. I’ve revived an iPhone in there for 48 hours (bypassed timer) 😅

7A248453-FF67-478D-A602-FCC37875997C.jpeg

https://www.firaudio.com/store/iem-dryer

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Jan 26, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #1,994 of 6,366
No immediate threat to the iems with sweat, but I would definitely recommend the IEM Dryer if there is any moisture involved. Over a longer period of time moisture can cause issues down the road with any brand of IEM’s. For IEM longevity this is the best investment you can make. There is a timer on the cable so popping them in for a couple hours at least once a week would keep them in top shape in that regard. It can be used with a USB power bank for portability as well. It has a heating element at the bottom and a fan at the top to expel moisture from the case when operating. I’ve revived an iPhone in there for 48 hours (bypassed timer) 😅

7A248453-FF67-478D-A602-FCC37875997C.jpeg
https://www.firaudio.com/store/iem-dryer
This is an excellent device, especially for those living in tropical climes with high humidity, to use on IEMS or any gear regularly! Is this sold on your web site only or also available at FIR's resellers' around the world?

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #1,995 of 6,366
XE6 is here :)

553A885B-3A10-41CC-B917-72CC0713A5F8.jpeg

These are great looking IEMs in person. I really like the build quality and photos don't do them any justice at all. Unfortunately the faceplates and gold metal shells are fingerprint magnets, so if you're slightly OCD like me, you may want to get your cleaning cloth ready. The cable feels pretty high quality and I'm glad to see it terminated in 4.4mm. I'll do some cable rolling in the coming weeks and report back if there's any worthwhile changes.

I had a quick listen out of the box and immediately I thought wow, these are quite warm sounding IEMs. Lots of bass, rather thick midrange notes and some congestion in the upper regions. I realised pretty quickly that I needed to change the atom module to something less isolating, so I switched out the stock silver to the black modules. I also changed my DAP from the Shanling M9 to my iBasso DX300 Max Ti, which is a lot more analytical and brighter than M9. I then tip rolled and settled on the Azla Sedna Light Shorts. These three changes drastically improved the tonality to my ears. It still sounds warm, bassy and slightly L-shaped, but now the treble sounds more open and the whole FR has enough balance and space to breathe.

I can already tell the kinetic bass is XE6's special sauce. This IEM has some very high quality and unique sounding bass. Bass hits slam hard and fast, with very thick note density, texture and realistic decay. The midrange sounds skewed to the lower midrange to my ears, so the timbre is warm and bold. Vocals sound clear and sufficiently forward but I think the upper harmonics are a little bit recessed, so vocals don’t generally sound as airy compared to more clarity focused monitors like EE Odin or Elysian X, but I don't feel they are dipped to the point of sounding muddy either. Treble is smooth and well extended. It sounds somewhat reminiscent of Tia treble to my ears. I'm guessing there's also a slight mid-treble dip and a rise again in the upper treble frequency like some of the 64 Audio IEMs.

Technicalities are very good. Not the absolute best I’ve heard, but certainly more than acceptable performance for the XE6's price bracket. Imaging is a little hazy compared to UM MEST Indigo and Elysian X, but still very much within the realm of TOTL performance. The stage is quite large in width and has great depth. Height is about average I'd say. Detail retrieval again I'd say is on par with other sets around its price range. I think XE6's standout technical feature is its macro-dynamics. The way it rises and falls through contrasts is very lively and engaging.

I'll keep going with my source, tip and cable rolling and provide an update in the coming days and weeks :)

There will be a new one in your Top 3 of your Ranking😝😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back