Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
May 18, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #258 of 1,423
  12.3" x 7.5" x 2.8", not too bad compared to the LC, which I thought was about 10" x 6.5" x 1.5"? LC sitting on top would make a reasonable sized stack.  Not easily transportable though.  Anybody heard one?

@conquerator2 had one for a bit and really liked it.  He preferred it to the Gungnir, IIRC.  Only replaced it when he bought a vintage Theta R2R DAC.

EDIT - Conquerator and I have very similar tastes so I trust his opinion it.

May 18, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #260 of 1,423
I can vouch for the X12. Found it a great blend between the musical AKM and analytic Sabres sonic wise.
Best of both with hardly any digitis to speak of (comparable to Gung)

May 18, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #261 of 1,423

@conquerator2 had one for a bit and really liked it.  He preferred it to the Gungnir, IIRC.  Only replaced it when he bought a vintage Theta R2R DAC.

EDIT - Conquerator and I have very similar tastes so I trust his opinion it.

You know, after reading the specs that little DAC on paper might have some potential. Anyone here going to take one for the team?

I can vouch for the X12. Found it a great blend between the musical AKM and analytic Sabres sonic wise.
Best of both with hardly any digitis to speak of (comparable to Gung)

I see references to using the U12 into the X12 in other threads about the Gustard products.  As I (and likely others) will be using USB almost exclusively, how is the USB implementation?

May 18, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #262 of 1,423

I see references to using the U12 into the X12 in other threads about the Gustard products.  As I (and likely others) will be using USB almost exclusively, how is the USB implementation?

If they use the same chipset, I can't imagine it would make a positive difference to use the U12 into the X12.  There's an interesting discussion in the NFB-28 thread right now about the U12 hype train and resultant disappointment... 

May 18, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #263 of 1,423
  12.3" x 7.5" x 2.8", not too bad compared to the LC, which I thought was about 10" x 6.5" x 1.5"? LC sitting on top would make a reasonable sized stack.  Not easily transportable though.  Anybody heard one?

The X12 is also 8.8 lb.  LC is 5" x 7" x 1.75" and 1 lb 7 oz.  The Emotiva Stealth DC-1 is a little closer at 8" x 10" x 1.75" and 2.2 lb.
Size: W 5”

May 18, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #264 of 1,423

If they use the same chipset, I can't imagine it would make a positive difference to use the U12 into the X12.  There's an interesting discussion in the NFB-28 thread right now about the U12 hype train and resultant disappointment... 

I have no interest in using the U12 with the X12 - on the contrary, it should not be necessary unless the USB implementation in the X12 is crappy.  I guess that is the root of the question - is the implementation of USB in the X12 excellent?

May 18, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #265 of 1,423

The X12 is also 8.8 lb.  LC is 5" x 7" x 1.75" and 1 lb 7 oz.  The Emotiva Stealth DC-1 is a little closer at 8" x 10" x 1.75" and 2.2 lb.
Size: W 5”

I'm pretty interested in the Emotiva as well.  I have heard good things.  I would like to find something good, balanced, and decent size as compared to the LC, and not ESS 9018 (or ESS at all) based.  My HA-1 is ESS 9018 based, so I already have that flavor in the house.

Interesting, I also have the Northern Fidelity NF DAC, which I just realized has XLR balanced outputs, so I'll probably stand pat for a while with that and the Liquid Carbon.  It is a decent dac, and nice size.  I'll just switch to the dac output of my iPure for the office speaker rig, which will likely not notice the difference.

May 18, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #266 of 1,423
I have no interest in using the U12 with the X12 - on the contrary, it should not be necessary unless the USB implementation in the X12 is crappy.  I guess that is the root of the question - is the implementation of USB in the X12 excellent?

The X12 USB is excellent. The U12 made zero difference.
I prefered it to audio gd's implementation (XMOS is smoother all-around)

May 18, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #267 of 1,423
While I enjoy the X5 for what it is, the DAC is nothing to write home about.  I listen to my X5 + C5 Amp at work daily and it's great for when I'm not super paying attention to the music.  It's even a great little portable setup for when I'm out and about.  But at Canjam I spent about an hour with the Yggy and then went to another station and used my X5 as a DAC and it sounded muddy and congested.  :frowning2:

I think the X5 will work great for a portable player and DAC to go with the LC, but if your other setup is a Yggy, you'll probably be disappointed.  

I love my Yggdrasil and I wish I had the money for another one. Its very tempting to return the HE1000 after the beta test is done, then order another yggy. I have already ordered the Ether, why do I need two pairs of TOTL headphones? Arg this hobby keeps my wallet empty way to often lol.

May 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #268 of 1,423
The X12 USB is excellent. The U12 made zero difference.
I prefered it to audio gd's implementation (XMOS is smoother all-around)

I too can vouch for the X12.  It has all the inputs you need and works well with the H10.  I am hoping it well meld well with the LC.  The seller sent me a U12 by mistake before he sent the H10 I had ordered.  He offered to let me keep it for a discount instead of shipping it back to China, but I use optical most of the time and the few times I used USB there was no discernible difference to me.  Plus as someone pointed out earlier the U12 and X12 use the same chipset so what would be the point. 

Though I only spent a couple hours with the Gungnir I wouldn't call the X12 superior for me.  If the X12 doesn't play well with the LC my backup plan is the Gungnir at least for awhile or go to my end of the line choice Auralic Vega.  That's what the LC was playing through at the Nashville meet and was very very smooth.  It ticks me off a little bit that the Schiit warranty does not transfer and the rumored upgrades to Yggy tech would cost an extra 100-150 dollars just because I might be the second owner.  Not the way to expand your customer base to my mind.

May 18, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #269 of 1,423
While I have plenty to say on the subject, I think it's fairly off topic and best discussed elsewhere.  Criticism of that company will ruffle a lot of feathers around here and can quickly spiral a friendly discussion out of control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back