Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
May 17, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #241 of 1,423
Here, Here!  And for the record, so far, everything I see in the ~<$600 range has a headphone amp included.  Why?  Any thoughts for something that doesn't?  I don't need it, want it, or want to sacrifice resources inside the box to have it.  Why oh Why?  (somebody call the Wambulance now....).

Any impressions on the Cambridge Dac Magic Plus from this group?  I had the original a few years ago.  It was ok.  Fit and finish were acceptable, sound seemed a bit bright, but that is from old memory.  The Plus is supposed to be better.

As for me, DSD is not necessary.  The only use it has for me is helping future resale.

+1 Well said. I am thinking about getting a uber bifrost.

May 17, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #242 of 1,423
Agree that would be the most logical requirement to ditch.  The only reason it's in there for me is to match the Cavalli.  But since I'm not even convinced that balanced amps are a necessity I would have in fact ditched the requirement if I had run into an otherwise perfect DAC that lit my fire.

I installed a brand new Ifi Micro iDSD on my desktop Thursday as an interim measure.   It's doing just fine.  My FiiO X5 can go back to being my portable system and the Ifi can handle the desk quite well.  It sounds good through my Emotiva Airmotiv 4s pair. 

This buys me time to keep up the hunt for just the right DAC.

May 18, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #243 of 1,423
I think the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 will be a good candidate and maybe the DAC-19. Then if needing DSD maybe just add a Loki... 

May 18, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #245 of 1,423
dont u alrdy have a yggy?

Yes but I got the liquid carbon because its transportable, and I need a transportable dac, to go with it. The Yggdrasil is great but its bulky. I will pair the yggy to the lc to check out the sound signature but mostly I will use the lc with another more transportable dac, to use in my other listening station. I need secondary listening station, to keep an eye on my mother during the day. Her Alzheimer's is getting worse and I must make sure she does not wonder away.

May 18, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #246 of 1,423
Yes but I got the liquid carbon because its transportable, and I need a transportable dac, to go with it. The Yggdrasil is great but its bulky. I will pair the yggy to the lc to check out the sound signature but mostly I will use the lc with another more transportable dac, to use in my other listening station. I need secondary listening station, to keep an eye on my mother during the day. Her Alzheimer's is getting worse and I must make sure she does not wonder away.

just fyi, the bifrost is a bit big to lug around

May 18, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #247 of 1,423
just fyi, the bifrost is a bit big to lug around

That is true but compared to the yggy its far more portable. Also I can turn off the bifrost off, without worrying about warm up. However if I can find a smaller, more transportable dac, I will get it. I have thought about getting fiio x5, and use its dap/ dac, for the lc.

May 18, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #248 of 1,423

Please forgive me if this is inappropriate, but have you watched the documentary film "Alive Inside"? Sadly my grandmother's sister passed away last year to Alzheimer's before I found out about the doc. Whenever I stay at my grandmother's house I always have extended music sessions with her (I appreciate youtube/spotify for allowing this service) which she loves; reliving her musical passions or discovering new artists or genres. My grandmother's condition is quite precarious (deaf of one ear, nearly total blindness 5% vision consisting of either light or darkness, wheelchair or walker) but her mind is the most resilient I've ever encountered. Her memory is unmatched, she remembers nearly every phone number of relatives, shops, restaurants, doctors, professionals she dealt with.

Music is so powerful.

Sry for going off topic 
redface.gif

May 18, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #249 of 1,423

Something's got to give, and if it's not price, my suggestion would be to lose the requirement for balanced.  

deadhorse.gif

Even Dr Cavalli has publicly stated that the first priority should be to find a GOOD SOUNDING DAC. Some of the most glowing reviews concerning the Carbon has been with a Chord DAC which is SE. Yes I know Chord is pricey but still, there's nothing wrong with a SE DAC if its well implemented.

May 18, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #250 of 1,423
Even Dr Cavalli has publicly stated that the first priority should be to find a GOOD SOUNDING DAC. Some of the most glowing reviews concerning the Carbon has been with a Chord DAC which is SE. Yes I know Chord is pricey but still, there's nothing wrong with a SE DAC if its well implemented.
+1 Well said.

May 18, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #251 of 1,423
May 18, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #252 of 1,423
I have another possible contender - ifi micro iDac.  Several on this thread were sort of giddy about the iDSD, which has DSD capability, a battery and a headphone amp, none of which I care about.  The iDAC on the other hand, has a USB B port on the back, and RCA out on the front.

Per the list
1. Transportable (maybe even portable). No bigger than the Liquid Carbon - CHECK
2. Balanced output. Dual 3-pin XLR would be best, but in a pinch, any balanced output will do - NO
3. USB input - CHECK
4. Coax input (to use with Fiio DAPs) - NO (not an issue for me)
5. Optical input (to use with A&K DAPs) - NO (not an issue for me)
6. Under $1000. Under $600 would be even better - CHECK (pretty sure, haven't checked price)
7. Personally, I am ambivalent about DSD (I have some and use the AK240 for it). YMMV

It is not a TOTL, flagship, R2R dac.  I don't know much about it, but it seems that it might serve the purpose well if USB only is acceptable, and SE is acceptable.

EDIT - I just realized the iDAC also has a HP amp section.  Sigh.....

OK - Comments?

May 18, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #253 of 1,423
That is true but compared to the yggy its far more portable. Also I can turn off the bifrost off, without worrying about warm up. However if I can find a smaller, more transportable dac, I will get it. I have thought about getting fiio x5, and use its dap/ dac, for the lc.

While I enjoy the X5 for what it is, the DAC is nothing to write home about.  I listen to my X5 + C5 Amp at work daily and it's great for when I'm not super paying attention to the music.  It's even a great little portable setup for when I'm out and about.  But at Canjam I spent about an hour with the Yggy and then went to another station and used my X5 as a DAC and it sounded muddy and congested.  :frowning2:

I think the X5 will work great for a portable player and DAC to go with the LC, but if your other setup is a Yggy, you'll probably be disappointed.  

May 18, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #254 of 1,423
May 18, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #255 of 1,423

I was just going to say this! so this is a standalone dac only with rca & balanced outputs for ~$510ish. uses a es9018 dac. it is also dsd compatible. inputs include usb,coax, aes/ebu, optical, and i2s

hits all the checkboxes except for size and transportability. doesn't look to be very trans-portable. but otherwise, seems to meet the majority of the criteria listed. price point especially nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back