Finally - New Cavalli Audio Portable Unveiled at the SF HeadFi Meet
Sep 23, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #61 of 101
   He's got this unit now, taking for a test ride.
L3000.gif

Indeed! And let me tell you - for those that heard the first prototype, this production unit exceeded my expectations of what was to come. This is a finely made and machined piece of kit. For example, the end caps don't just butt up to the main body extrusion, they fit around it with precision tolerance. I feel like I could throw this thing against a concrete wall a few times and it would be just fine. No, that doesn't mean it is too heavy - though the added weight of the battery unit adds some heft - but for those of you that saw the first prototype, you know it was whisper-light to begin with. The robust build is more inline with what you would expect performance-wise. 

I was telling Alex that I have to keep reminding myself that I am not listening to a full-size desktop amp when listening to this portable. It's just so much of a powerhouse. But with the unity gain (vs. 3x) you can drive your sensitive IEMs no problem, with a dead-quite background. Throw in class A, fully discrete circuitry, a 15-hour (ish) runtime off batteries, and you have something quite exceptional not just for portable audio, but just headphone audio in general. This would serve most anyone well as a solid choice for office/travel - even home/bedside listening. And if you want more power for your orthos, the Liquid Carbon would fit the bill for a still-transportable solution. 

For those of you that don't know if what I am writing is from the heart, let me tell you a little about how I came to work with Cavalli Audio. Alex doesn't know I am saying this, and he probably won't like it as he is such a modest person. 

But, I found Dr. Alexander Cavalli's products after a months-long search for the best amplification made. I owned the best and most popular amps, and tried everything in solid state and tube designs. Months down this road, I found a Liquid Fire and obtained it. Well it was something special. It had a richness that I had never heard quite like that before, and I was eager to hear more. To make a long story short, I am a digital media producer by day and though Alex needed to be more well-known. So I offered to help out a little. So essentially, I work with Cavalli Audio because I determined his amps to be the best there was and that others should hear them too. And I firmly believe that today. I believe each amp he has built is a leader in its class. And this portable is certainly no exception. As with the Carbon and everything else. I am truly amazed each time I hear a new prototype or a fresh production unit - that he is able to pour in that Cavalli magic into each effort he produces. Sure, sometimes it may take a few extra minutes to get the product to market and into your hands, but it is well worth it. Keep in mind you are receiving a truly boutique, state-of-the-art, discrete audio component that was designed from the ground up to be the best there is. When producing something of this nature, there are inevitable timing uncertainties that are impossible to plan for - as all of the materials used in these amps are of top quality. There is no compromise. No matter the size of Cavalli product that works best for you, you can be assured you are getting top Cavalli quality in each and every amp. And that is why I work with him. I believe in his products 100%. I believe he makes the best headphone amplification on the planet, and I believe you should pay attention to what he is doing. It's that good. 

Let me brag on the guy a little bit. If you have never googled Dr. Cavalli, I would encourage you to do so. He knows what he is doing. Among a long list of accomplishments, Dr. Cavalli has served as Chief Technology Officer, Advisor, and Chief Strategist at numerous tech companies, some of which he founded himself. Additionally he served as the Deputy Director of the IC2 Institute at The University of Texas at Austin. Dr. Cavalli holds a PhD in Physics from Dartmouth College and a BS from Dickinson College. And his team is responsible for developing the first Virtual Private Network and operated as the Internet's first Certification Authority.

In the early nineties, Dr. Cavalli and his staff created the foundation for much of what is now recognized as the Internet - working with leading universities and corporations and supported by US government funding, the EINet project was designed to demonstrate electronic commerce. This work also included the creation of the first Internet search engine, introduced in '94. Called EINet Galaxy, it became the model for every search engine we are using today. Dr. Cavalli's team also developed the first commercial-quality web browsers that introduced many of the features found today in browsers such as Microsoft's. 

The guy knows how to build the best amps around, and is doing it, and making them available to you. It's quite amazing, in my opinion :)

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #63 of 101
Here's a shot of the input side.

Quote:
  How does this little guy compare to the Liquid Carbon??

While they both have small form factors and house the Cavalli sound, the portable is intended to be truly portable, and the Carbon is more of a transportable desktop amp. The portable has a battery circuit producing around 15 hours of runtime, and can also be run/charge from USB. The Carbon is more powerful, larger, and can run single ended as well as balanced all the way through. The Carbon outputs quite a bit more power and is better suited for harder to drive cans, although the Carbon's noise floor is very low. So with Carbon you gain fully balanced, even more power - and the portable you get USB connectivity, and a charging circuit in a truly portable form. They are just for different audio solutions depending on your needs :)

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #64 of 101
Thanks for your input. Are the dimensions finalised? I am looking for an amp to pair with Hugo. This looks just right.

I am yet to find an amp I like.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #65 of 101
Thanks for your input. Are the dimensions finalised? I am looking for an amp to pair with Hugo. This looks just right.

I am yet to find an amp I like.

I would say these dimensions should stick. I think this would be a fine pairing with the Hugo. I would definitely consider it to be a truly reference-class portable setup. 

I did a little A/B testing with the prototype just to see what I found. I would need more time with both units to be certain (I had to hand the production unit back today to go to RMAF:frowning2:  But The new unit is much more refined in appearance, and has a that elegant simplicity - classic of Cavalli amps. It feels solid and sturdy, ready for the rigors of the road. 

But speaking on the sound, if I'm not mistaken, there could be just a smidgeon more presence and authority, and the matching space to accompany it. It sounded - to my ears - like everything was even more in focus - decidedly besting any portable type amp I have ever heard. If you are going to RMAF, be sure to stop by and take a listen - Alex will have this unit on hand. Perhaps the battery power supply vs. the walwart just gives that circuit exactly what is needed. 

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #66 of 101
Dimensions: 130mm x 75mm x 23mm at the end caps not including knob. I don't think these will change much if at all.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #67 of 101
looks like it will be the same size as my L3, which is a pretty big amp in comparison to others in my arsenal of sound explosion! but I fit the L3 into my portable rig without any problems,

I still use the same case with different gear, a few mods to accomidate some portable tube amps, it is from amazons basic line, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VPE1XE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detail page_o01_ s00, unfortuneately there are out of stock, I am probably to blame, I would throw them into my cart to round up for the free shipping until they where all gone, but if anyone wants one I have a couple to spare, give me a hollar,

anyways it looks like I will still be using it for my new soon to be named Cavalli portable! ka-sweet! I am glad spring will be coming early this year, lol,

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #71 of 101
  looks like it will be the same size as my L3, which is a pretty big amp in comparison to others in my arsenal of sound explosion! but I fit the L3 into my portable rig without any problems,

Ha, yes the L3 also came to my mind. But the L3 comes in at 134x86x35 - so don't underestimate over a whole centimeter the Cavalli is slimmer and thinner :)

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #72 of 101
Just to double check this is 100% battery powered right?
I am getting too excited.

What attractive about L3 is the reason input. experience tells me it is more robust. Than again it is more space.

The new L3 is smaller, they are finally using lithium battery. What you see in the picture is the old double 9V model. I once saw a quad 9V model,now that thing was giant.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #73 of 101

The new L3 is smaller, they are finally using lithium battery. What you see in the picture is the old double 9V model. I once saw a quad 9V model,now that thing was giant.

Indeed, it runs for about 15 hours on battery, and can be charged with the supplied walwart, or via USB - and can be charged during operation of course. 

And the specs I referenced were for the newer Li-ion L3 size. So Cavalli's comes in considerably smaller than even the new L3. Quad 9-volt, sheesh. That's a beast!

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #74 of 101
  Dimensions: 130mm x 75mm x 23mm at the end caps not including knob. I don't think these will change much if at all.

Ha, yes the L3 also came to my mind. But the L3 comes in at 134x86x35 - so don't underestimate over a whole centimeter the Cavalli is slimmer and thinner :)

hhmmm, well that's cool, just doing a comparison, and btw the L3's dimensions are132x73x27? 146 w knob, not sure which L3 your refering to? anyways I am still looking forwards to whatever sized amp you at Cavalli will be putting out, I am hoping it will be an end game amp for what I'm looking for,

What attractive about L3 is the reason input. experience tells me it is more robust. Than again it is more space.

the new L3? or the latest L3? I had the larger model also, I used that in a portable rig also, hubba hubba, I was interested in the Analog Squared in a portable rig, never got around to it though, lol,

Indeed, it runs for about 15 hours on battery, and can be charged with the supplied walwart, or via USB - and can be charged during operation of course.

And the specs I referenced were for the newer Li-ion L3 size. So Cavalli's comes in considerably smaller than even the new L3. Quad 9-volt, sheesh. That's a beast!

well like I said my measurements of my L3 are pretty close to the CP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back