Finally - New Cavalli Audio Portable Unveiled at the SF HeadFi Meet
Oct 7, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #91 of 101
I think their website says the price target they are hoping for is 'less than $700'.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #92 of 101
I think their website says the price target they are hoping for is 'less than $700'.

that was what Dr. Cavalli said himself as well. 

since the word "hope" was used. I would say that no one really knows what the final price point will be.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #93 of 101

While they both have small form factors and house the Cavalli sound, the portable is intended to be truly portable, and the Carbon is more of a transportable desktop amp. The portable has a battery circuit producing around 15 hours of runtime, and can also be run/charge from USB. The Carbon is more powerful, larger, and can run single ended as well as balanced all the way through. The Carbon outputs quite a bit more power and is better suited for harder to drive cans, although the Carbon's noise floor is very low. So with Carbon you gain fully balanced, even more power - and the portable you get USB connectivity, and a charging circuit in a truly portable form. They are just for different audio solutions depending on your needs :)

@SoundFreaq what's does getting USB connectivity means? That the portable can decode a digital signal like it has a DAC chip inside? I thought the portable was just an Amp?

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #95 of 101
Hello folks. I'm making this post in two places.

As some of you have heard we are about ready to open the naming contest. I am really happy to finally get this going.

BUT IT ISN'T OPEN YET. :)

Many of you have been following the slow progress of the CA portable for some time. Some number of you have posted names to the threads. I have posted on a number of occasions asking you all not to do this since you are putting your ideas into the public domain. Others have posted noting this as well.

Thank you all for the really good names you have posted, but please don't post any more of them.

As you all know a contest has to be fair with a well defined process. We have put this together and there will be a fairly standard set of contest rules and limits on submissions.

I would like to ask you all again, please DO NOT post names to open forums. NONE OF THESE can be considered official submissions to the contest. Even if you go back and point out that you were the first to post a particular name this cannot and will not be considered an official submission.

The only submissions that will be accepted are the ones entered through the contest entry mechanism. Only official entries will be considered by the judges. We are planning to run the contest using the FB infrastructure available for doing this.

On the bright side three terrific individuals have agreed to judge the contest:

Jude Mansilla
Warren Chi
Don Basel

Who could ask for better than this!!!???

Many thanks to these gentlemen for taking on this, almost certainly, difficult job of picking a winner out of all the great names you are about to submit.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #98 of 101

@SoundFreaq what's does getting USB connectivity means? That the portable can decode a digital signal like it has a DAC chip inside? I thought the portable was just an Amp?

You are correct. There is not a DAC. The USB connection is for charging the battery from USB, adding versatile charging options. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back