Finally Got a Cowon D2+ - I Should Be Happy
Jan 11, 2011 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
Ever feel foolish after a gear purchase? I finally got a Cowon D2+. (I already had an iPod Touch 64GB version.) I opened the shipping carton from Amazon today, then the D2+ box itself. I saw what I thought was the top of an AC adapter, but it was the D2 itself. So, my first impression - small! Ok, no big deal. popped in the 32gb SD card, then plugged the D2 in to a USB port and began charging, as well as loading music. My entire library is in FLAC format (as well as ALAC) so it was easy as drag and drop. But it took F.O.R.E.V.E.R.

Finally, my music was loaded, and the unit was fully charged. Time for the much anticipated sonic bliss. I queued up one of my favorite jazz tunes on *both* the D2+ and my iPod Touch. I put my Yuin Pk1's in my ears and set both units to play. I switched between the two. Mind you, I was listening to the same tune, (both lossless) and was simply plugging into each player alternatively. The D2+ did seem to have a richer sound, but not by a whole lot. That may be due to Cowon's EQ and BBE settings. It was somewhat anti-climactic, and I'm kind of bummed. The lastest and greatest iPod Touch firmware now has built-in EQ. The D2+ interface, unfortunately can't shine the shoes on the Touch. It is tedious. I'm going to chill later and just listen and give it a chance. Hopefully it will grow on me a bit, but I don't know. I loved the idea of incredibly good battery life, and only having to keep one library on my PC. (FLAC only vs FLAC and ALAC both) But now, I'm not so sure I'll be selling the iPod.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 21
Just to ask, why did you buy a older PMP instead of the newset Cowon PMP, like a j3? (D3 is the ugly stepchild)

I mean, this is to be expected of when you buy something, that HAS a updated version.
Also, Cowon added Jeteffect to their players that makes the sound come out even better.

In my list would come out as this in SQ:

Hifiman
Cowon
Sansa
Apple
Zen

minus all the smaller companies

you should of bought a j3, unless it's not what you wanted in the first place.
Wikipedia: Da (play), a Tony-winning play by Hugh Leonard »

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 21

Quote:
Just to ask, why did you buy a older DAP instead of teh newset Cowon Dap, like a j3? (D3 is the ugly stepchild)

I mean, this is to be expected of when you buy something, that HAS a updated version.
Also, Cowon added Jeteffect to their players that makes the sound come out even better.

In my list would come out as this in SQ:

Hifiman
Cowon
Sansa
Apple
Zen

minus all the smaller companies

you should of bought a j3, unless it's not what you wanted in the first place.

The J3 was on the very short list last year when they first came out, but at the time they were only available in 16gb. I know it had the micro SD expansion, but I ended up going with the 64gb Touch. I kept reading about the D2+ and how great the sound was. I guess I built it up in my mind more than I should have. The only gear purchase I have ever made that really impressed me was when I got my Yuin Pk1's. Maybe that was because I underestimated them, being earbuds and all. The good thing is that the D2+ only cost about $145, so it's not that bad. I'm probably just disappointed because I so overestimated what I thought I was going to hear.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 21
After spending some time with it last night and today, I can get around ok with the GUI. But I'm curious as to how RockBox will improve the sound. The electronics are what they are, so isn't that the limiting factor regardless of the software?

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 21
I'm reluctant, but willing to have a look. Any suggestions as to where would be the best place to start? (web site, instructions, caveats, etc?)

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 21

Thanks!

Quote:
Start by downloading the Rockbox 3.7.1 installer, the Cowon D2+ is supported so its really easy.

http://www.rockbox.org/download/

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #10 of 21
I have D2, not sure about D2+.
The internal card reader and the internal sd is very slow.
You'll be better off to use other card reader to transfer your files to the external card.

That's why I have no incentive to upgrade my 4gb D2 for such a long time, all I need is a larger additional sd card.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 21

By other card reader, are you saying *not* to load the SD card via USB to the D2+. I have a card reader in my PC - you're saying copy the music using that, then plug it back into the D2+?

Quote:
You'll be better off to use other card reader to transfer your files to the external card.

That's why I have no incentive to upgrade my 4gb D2 for such a long time, all I need is a larger additional sd card.

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 21
Yes I am.

Quote:
By other card reader, are you saying *not* to load the SD card via USB to the D2+. I have a card reader in my PC - you're saying copy the music using that, then plug it back into the D2+?

Quote:

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Just to ask, why did you buy a older PMP instead of the newset Cowon PMP, like a j3? (D3 is the ugly stepchild)

I agree but regardless not only are their only slight differences between the two Cowon line-up consist of tons of great-sounding player all carrying the Cowon house sound. Except a few....anyhow Cowon are made to be EQ'd their house sound is mechanically flat moving over to a Sony the Sony will sound tons better. Until you EQ the Cowon....Up a couple of lower bass Db and see if this thickens/makes the sound more pleasurable. My two tops are Sony, Cowon adding a third would be the Clip, I go back to my Sony time and time again and love it. The Cowon is a tweaker it can do what no other player can do literally BBE sits on DNSE any day. Realistic is a word that might come to might I repeat the D2+ and any other Cowon are major tweakers allowing you to make virtually any phone sound good. To a certain extent.

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

I agree but regardless not only are their only slight differences between the two Cowon line-up consist of tons of great-sounding player all carrying the Cowon house sound. Except a few....anyhow Cowon are made to be EQ'd their house sound is mechanically flat moving over to a Sony the Sony will sound tons better. Until you EQ the Cowon....Up a couple of lower bass Db and see if this thickens/makes the sound more pleasurable. My two tops are Sony, Cowon adding a third would be the Clip, I go back to my Sony time and time again and love it. The Cowon is a tweaker it can do what no other player can do literally BBE sits on DNSE any day. Realistic is a word that might come to might I repeat the D2+ and any other Cowon are major tweakers allowing you to make virtually any phone sound good. To a certain extent.

^this. what out of the box my iAudio 7 sounded inferior to my Sansa Clip but after tweaking I ended preferring the i7, though it took me a couple of days to settle it was worth it

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
^this. what out of the box my iAudio 7 sounded inferior to my Sansa Clip but after tweaking I ended preferring the i7, though it took me a couple of days to settle it was worth it

1+ 

I came from a Sony 820 which sounded great and still does, switching over to the Cowon left me flabergasted. My first impression was it was flat and life-less, I slowly began to turn this opinion around. To this day I love both for different reasons. Put it this way if I so please I can easily tune the S9/J3 to the warmer more pleasing of the Sony. The Cowon is your all in one. Still love the Sony though 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back