FINAL BATTLE- MD33 Vs. EX71 Vs. HJE50 (PLEASE HELP)
Apr 29, 2005 at 10:52 AM Post #31 of 61
i don't know the panasonics, but i have the sonys and the sharps. the sharps definitely sound much better than the sonys. the sonys sound muddy and without details. there is treble, but it is thin and strange sounding, some call it shrill. but there are no mids at all and the bass is too exaggerated.

if you put in the sharps you will notice a much clearer sound with a better controlled bass sound. there is some frequency peak in the upper mids that i personally don't like too much, it makes the sharps sound a bit nasally, but they still sound much better than the sonys.

i would say that the overall sound of the sharps is quite similar to the sennheiser px100, whereas the px100 still ounds smoother and a bit clearer, but the character of both phones is very similar.
the sharps sound "nearer" whereas the px100 sound more distant and create a larger soundstage, i prefer the more closed and near sound to tell the truth. i hear details much better this way. besides the px100 are much harder to drive and leak a lot. with the sharps i can lay in bed beside my girl-friend and she won't hear anything even if i play loud.

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #32 of 61
AHHH! They arive till Wednesday! I cant wait!!!!!

And can you all hep me with burning them in?? Should I just connect them to my MP3 player and leave them on overnight inside a drawer(so it wont be to loud for me and I can fall asleep). Wont leaving my mp3 player(iRiver iFP899) cause any damage to them??? And what music should I leave on?? And at what volume??

thnx in advance

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by llbluell
AHHH! They arive till Wednesday! I cant wait!!!!!

And can you all hep me with burning them in?? Should I just connect them to my MP3 player and leave them on overnight inside a drawer(so it wont be to loud for me and I can fall asleep). Wont leaving my mp3 player(iRiver iFP899) cause any damage to them??? And what music should I leave on?? And at what volume??

thnx in advance

Just don't burn-in at super high volumes. I usually use volume levels slightly above my normal listening level. Here's a stickied thread on this topic:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58157

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #34 of 61
Heard panasonic.

unbelievable awful!

harsh high + harsh mid + narrow soundstage

then besides that, only some deep clear bass. lower-mid is virtually not present.
EQed highs and mids down, still harsh and coarse.

I believe it is good for pop/rock/heavy metal music, which need harsh coarse sound to feel good.
I listen to classical music only. So the panasonic is deadly awful for me.

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richteralan
Heard panasonic.

unbelievable awful!

then besides that, only some deep clear bass. lower-mid is virtually not present.

I believe it is good for pop/rock/heavy metal music, which need harsh coarse sound to feel good.

Damn, whenever somebody says something is ******, when several others have claimed it to be great, i always have to ask a billion questions... here goes.

Where and with what did you listen to them? How many hours were on them? How long did you get to(have to
wink.gif
) listen to them for? Have you heard the other compared canals in this thread? How do those compare to the HJ's? Concidering the price do you think they're a good sub 30 dollar can?

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

Heard panasonic.

unbelievable awful!

Like I said, the Panasonics have something strange about their mids, which make them sound good on certain Rock songs. I would agree that these phones sound very poor on classical music, but none of the 3 phones discussed in here would be good for classical, honestly.

That said, I still think the Panasonics are a great bargain and everyone should get themselves a pair. For the more mathematically inclined, I'd estimate them to be around 80-90% of the Sharps but at 50% the price.

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #37 of 61
After all the crap u give them, how can u say "That said, I still think the Panasonics are a great bargain and everyone should get themselves a pair. For the more mathematically inclined, I'd estimate them to be around 80-90% of the Sharps but at 50% the price."????

By the sound of it, u hated them, i mean, u said the bass, mids, AND treble were bad....

Everyone else said they were awesome.... ur makin me insecure!!!!!!! lol. So can some poeple tell me how awesome they are =)?

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #38 of 61
i dont understand why people repeatedly do that on here. whenever someone posts a 'this or that' thread and the person eventually makes a decision (and even orders them), people will continue to make suggestions, and even bash the headphone/amp/whatever the person just ordered. Someone did it when I was deciding on a sound card, someone did it earlier today on a thread about er6i's...when the kid said 'I ORDERED THEM I'M SO EXCITED' and then someone posts and says the 6i's are the worst headphones ever and don't get them, get the other ones...What the hell was the point of that??

blue, just realize that everyone has differing opinions about this stuff, and you have to just listen to the general descriptions about them and decide if it sounds like something you want. I've had people bash every headphone I own (and love), and that certainly hasn't made me think twice about them. The panasonics are great. Don't let the fact that they're not perfect scare you, as nothing is perfect. Bashing them b/c they don't sound as good as $150 headphones is not really a fair comparison...

Apr 30, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #39 of 61
Quote:

Heard panasonic.

unbelievable awful!

Whelp, in my own experience the hje provide more natural sounding instrumentals compared to the ex's. Notes are not only clearer, but extend longer and sound more realistic.

Although the highs extend more than on the sonys, this does make them more harsh sounding (ex. saxophone high notes were pretty ear piercing for me during my initial break in). Some have said that burn-in reduces some of the harshness on the pannys, and I'll have to agree. The same song with sax that I listened to weeks ago doesn't sound harsh anymore. I never found the EXs harsh (but many do before burn-in), and I definitely don't find the HJEs harsh now either with about 50+ hours use.

Good thing I don't listen to any classical with my panasonics. I leave that to my eggos. Panasonics excel with rock/pop/trance/breakbeat and general vocals for me.

Apr 30, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

After all the crap u give them, how can u say "That said, I still think the Panasonics are a great bargain and everyone should get themselves a pair. For the more mathematically inclined, I'd estimate them to be around 80-90% of the Sharps but at 50% the price."????

By the sound of it, u hated them, i mean, u said the bass, mids, AND treble were bad....

Everyone else said they were awesome.... ur makin me insecure!!!!!!! lol. So can some poeple tell me how awesome they are =)?

I have not said that the Panasonics were crap in bass, mids and treble. I was saying they do sound poor on classical music, like both the other 2 canalphones.
If you had read what I said about them, I actually think that they have good bass, and decent mids and better treble than the Sony's.
People say they are awesome, yes, but only because of their low price. If they had costed $200 a pair, everybody will be complaining how crappy they are. It is because of the unbelievably low price that everyone (almost) loves them.
And that is also why I believe they are, by far, the most value-for-money phones you can get (and thus everyone should buy a pair).

Apr 30, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Damn, whenever somebody says something is ******, when several others have claimed it to be great, i always have to ask a billion questions... here goes.

Where and with what did you listen to them? How many hours were on them? How long did you get to(have to
wink.gif
) listen to them for? Have you heard the other compared canals in this thread? How do those compare to the HJ's? Concidering the price do you think they're a good sub 30 dollar can?

I listened with my iAUDIO M3L.
I listened it for a whole day.
I compared it with my old Sony EX71 and the plug
Considering it's sub 30, I'll still say it's deadly awful.

P.S. I bought the panasonic solely because of extremely good words from here in head-fi

Apr 30, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Whelp, in my own experience the hje provide more natural sounding instrumentals compared to the ex's. Notes are not only clearer, but extend longer and sound more realistic.

Although the highs extend more than on the sonys, this does make them more harsh sounding (ex. saxophone high notes were pretty ear piercing for me during my initial break in). Some have said that burn-in reduces some of the harshness on the pannys, and I'll have to agree. The same song with sax that I listened to weeks ago doesn't sound harsh anymore. I never found the EXs harsh (but many do before burn-in), and I definitely don't find the HJEs harsh now either with about 50+ hours use.

Good thing I don't listen to any classical with my panasonics. I leave that to my eggos. Panasonics excel with rock/pop/trance/breakbeat and general vocals for me.

Hm...you said from your experience that panasonic is more natural on instruments? Then you said you don't listen to any classical with your panasonic?

I am in conservatory and I believe I perfectly know how an instrument should sound like in good players' hand. Unfortunately HJE50 is not the case.

Apr 30, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

I think it's just depend on what music you mostly listen to.

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #44 of 61
Ok, well Im just gona be happy with them when they arrive. Im not an audiophile at all, so as long as it sound pretty good, ill be happy. And I listen to mostly rock(blink, green day, yellowcard, sum41, RHCPs) some hip hop, and some orchestra music. Like the Trans-Siberian orchestra, THEY ROCK!!!!

And can someone help me with the burn in?? Wont it damage my iriver iFP899 if I leave it on all night?

May 1, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #45 of 61
Quote:

And can someone help me with the burn in?? Wont it damage my iriver iFP899 if I leave it on all night?

No, what would be damaged by leaving headphones playing in an mp3 player for a day or two? If you just want a simple all around burn in method leave your Iriver on shuffle and the volume a notch or two higher than you usually listen to it at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back