Final Audio Design -- Piano Forte IX (aka 1602SS) vs 1601SS
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

music_4321

Headphoneus Supremus
Piano Forte IX (aka 1602SS) vs 1601SS (photos posted below)

Having found a sort of music soulmate in the form of the Piano Forte IX (aka 1602SS) --I've never heard a phone that, in my view, taps into Music the way the IX does-- I decided to get the 1601SS, an IEM I obviously wanted to hear ever since I got the IXs.

Got the 1601SS over two weeks ago, but they were missing the all-important thick metal tips, which I believe are the tips FAD sees as the true sonic statement for the 1601XX series. Got the missing tips a few days ago, so I'm now able to comment on both phones.

Please note this is NOT a review -- I have serious issues with so-called reviews because I find very, VERY few of them to be genuinely so. There's a lot I could say on the subject but that's not the intention of this post.

General comments:

--- The IX is a little more sensitive than the 1601SS, ie at same volume levels the IX gets a bit louder on my 4G iPod Touch. None of these IEMs need an amp, at least as far as needing some juice to drive them.

--- Cables both above and below the Y-split on the 1601 are thicker. The 1601's cable is 1.2m long whereas the IX's cable is 20cm longer (1.4m). The 1601 strain relief at the jack is stronger and of better quality than that on the IX. I prefer the L-angled plug on the IX than the straight one on the 1601. Originally (the first few days), I thought overall I preferred the 1601 cable, but after about a week I realised I didn't -- I personally prefer the longer IX cable which also offers more flexibility. The IX cable has kept its shape 100% from day one, whereas the 1601 cable hasn't, but it's nothing serious, really. HOWEVER, the lack of strain reliefs at the housings on the IX may be a little worrisome -- I never pull at the cables to take the IEMs out of my ears, I always grab the earpieces instead; the strain reliefs at the housings on the 1601 are not perfect, but certainly inspire more confidence.

--- I can wear the IX both with the cable down or over the ear (I prefer the cable-down fit, though sonically I notice no SQ differences). With the 1601s I can only wear them over the ears, which makes the already shorter cable even shorter, but still adequate (I'm 6' 2" tall [1.88 m]). On the whole, I find the IX slightly more comfortable.

--- The opening (diameter) of the bores on the IX is larger. One nice thing about the screw-on tips on the 1601s is that, should earwax accumulate in or around the inside of the tips, it's much easier to clean, just unscrew and carefully remove earwax. With the IX's permanent tips, a wax removal tool (not provided by FAD) is necessary, and removing earwax has to be done carefully so that the IX filters are not damaged.

The ever so tricky subject of SQ, particularly when it comes to describing the sonic qualities of the 160Xs:

The PF IX is one IEM I've had plenty of difficulty trying to describe, and I did describe them to some extent elsewhere -- though rather poorly, I might add. Some of those impressions, at the end of the day, seemed fairly subjective & personal, and my guess is they wouldn't / didn't really help anybody get a closer sense of the IXs. So, I'll keep it brief-ish because these impressions will also be, er…rather poor:

If the 1601 is decidedly mid-centric, the IX is even more so. If FAD were unapologetic about the 1601SS, they are even more so with the IX. Not only do they not provide different tips to tailor the sound --the 1601 tips really offer different flavours-- the IX (or PF Series) refuses to 'to be nice', or 'accommodate' different SQ preferences; you can EQ them, yes, but if not, it's a statement along the lines of "This is it: love it or hate it, no in-betweens". The IXs have a slightly more dense (to use FAD's own words) sound to them, a type of sound I'm sure more HF'ers would not fully appreciate or enjoy. In that sense the 1601 is a little less idiosyncratic or 'drastic', and I suppose it can be said that it is more 'correct' (or less 'flawed' even). I think the IX is even more of an acquired taste than the 1601 already is, and SQ-wise I'd recommend the (now discontinued) 1601 over the PF IX --- I personally prefer the PF IX by a small margin, possibly because I am someone who craves a solid, well-defined mid-range, if one could put it like that.

The 1601 seems to have a more correct / faithful rendering of higher freqs, though I'd personally take the higher mids / lower treble of the IXs which make the midrange, to these ears, more appealing even.

There may be ever so slightly better bass definition (not extension) on the 1601, but I find a little more authority in the IX's bass, and I find the way all freqs blend on the IXs a tad more musical, just a little more wholesome perhaps --what I consider truly musical / wholesome, of course --, this is rather subtle and obviously a matter of preference.

There seems to be a slightly wider sense of space in the 1601 presentation, but I find the IXs to have a kind of binaural presentation quality to them, more what I tend to describe as excellent mono when, in fact, most music I throw at the IXs is in stereo (this is also related to what I have described elsewhere as "open-closeness or close-openness" -- this really is hard for me to describe).

As a side note, the FI-BA-SS is an entirely different beast, and one that is definitely more correct from a FR graph standpoint than the 160Xs, yet the FI-BA-SS, as revealing and sometimes unashamedly raw as it is, remains a wonderfully musical phone with a surprisingly excellent sense of space for a BA phone, and a single BA at that.

I liken the FI-BA-SS to a small child: pure, innocent, with the right instincts, very true, and even wonderfully naive. I liken 1601 --and specially the PF IX-- to a cheeky yet brilliant young adult who happens to be a kind of genius, if still somewhat immature; a young genius who's not afraid to speak up and be daring, bold. BUT, unlike ordinary young adults, this one can prove that what he / she comes up with can actually be taken seriously --very seriously even-- at least by those who will be able to go past the young adult's outward behaviour and attitude, and those who won't feel threatened by what he / she has to say.

----------------------------------

1601SS

1602SS / PF IX

Left: 1601SS; Right: 1602SS / PF IX

Top: 1601SS; Bottom: 1602SS / PF IX

Top: 1602SS / PF IX; Bottom: 1601SS

1601SS Ear-tips

Below: 1602SS / PF IX Carrying case  (** see post #16 for a photo of the 1601SS case**)

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 26
Hey music_4321, just dropping by to actually say hi and thank you very much for your very kind comments that you had left on my CK100PRO's review/discussion thread awhile back. I'm sorry I haven't been logging in back to HF much all these while, in the midst of juggling in between my busy work-life / the gf / other real-life issues. It wasn't until only around 3 months ago after I happen to acquire some new headphone gears such as my AD1000PRM, and also chancing upon some pretty nice deals in JP due to the Golden Week sale that some stores were having awhile back, that I managed to take the plunge and pick up a FAD Heaven C (FI-BA-SA) earlier during May. Having already heard the Heaven A1/Heaven S and it's BA flagship model the FI-BA-SS, I have to say the FI-BA-SA signature and frequency response is probably more in-line in terms together with the A1's and SS's (much flatter/linear) , but obviously the pair of FI-BA-SS are the more refined/capable ones in terms of the sound quality to my own pair of ears.

After spending some time with the Heaven C's for awhile now, I would agree with you that these FAD's have something special/unique about them, even though they are indeed slightly more bottom-heavy in terms of the lower-mids response and bass body/definition when it comes down to comparing with some of my current Audio-technica IEMs (CK100PRO/CK100) or even my Sony MDR-EX800 studio monitors, but I would still say the FI-BA-SA sounds absolutely terrific with most of my fav electronica/electro-pop genres, as well some of my fav jazz vocalists and yet, the treble clarity is still very transparent and detailed, without having a seemingly audible veil in terms of the midrange/upper-mids, at least when compared to some of the current popular universal flagships out there. (it's really quite incredible to me how Final Audio managed to do that, despite this being only a single-BA)

Very informative read, just wanna thank you for writing such informative posts every now and then as I'm very appreciative of the kind of posts/contributions you have posted so far on Head-fi, particularly your customs-related discussion thread . I will be jumping on to my first pair of CIEMs come September next month, but I will certainly have the FI-BA-SS on my want-to-buy list someday, in future when I happen to have that kind of spare cash. :xf_eek:

Cheers! Considered myself subscribed. :)

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 26
Ah! I was wondering what happened to your great post from the FAD thread. It is properly in its own home now.

I really appreciate this comparison as I share your love of the 1602SS and am also becoming intrigued by the 1601SS. Well done!

Regarding running the cables over the ears, that has already saved my ass (actually my 1602SS) more than once. I won't wear them any other way. There have been complaints on the forum about the 1601 cable. I actually like the cable on the 1602. I find it to be sleek and nicely flexible. It will require care though.

So... overall... would you describe yourself as happy with your purchase of the 1601SS? Is it worth buying as a complement to the 1602SS (or is it perhaps too early to say)?

Nice pics BTW.

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 26
Hey Haonan,

Long time no 'see'. I know you don't post much, but I hadn't come across a single post of yours for quite some time.

Well, I bought the Heaven-S, fell in love with it and, as a result, got the FI-BA-SS. As for the PF IXs, credit must go to james444 because when I was thinking of getting of the FI-BA-SS, he actually suggested getting the 1601 / 1602 instead, because he knew of my craving for mid frequencies. He said I might just want to EQ them a bit to get even better SQ, but I still went ahead and ordered the FI-BA-SS (as the Heaven-S had seriously impressed me). I also had serious doubts about the PFs' form factor, which I felt might prove rather problematic, and, on top of that, no tips to choose from even.

Anyway, having got the FI-BA-SS and liking them even more than the Heaven-S --though not by much, a testament the latter is indeed a great phone-- I couldn't forget James' suggestion and went ahead and ordered the PF IXs. James was right when he said you can EQ the 160Xs quite nicely, but I found myself enjoying the stock sound immensely, though it was a bit of a shock at first with some music (not anymore, though, as I've got used to them) after coming from the EX1000, K3003, Heaven-S & FI-BA-SS. Also, I'm a silly purist and 'don't allow' myself to EQ my phones for several reasons (when I say "silly", I do mean that, BTW).

Seeing that you're based in Singapore (where you can audition several excellent phones), if you ever have a chance to try the new FitEar TO GO!111, please do so -- I think you may be more than pleasantly surprised. If you don't know anything about the 111s, you may want to have a look at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/619034/fitear-to-go-111-appreciation-discussion-and-reviews-thread

Good luck with your customs! Hope you don't have to go through multiple re-fits.

Cheers

PS Thanks for the kind words.

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:
Ah! I was wondering what happened to your great post from the FAD thread. It is properly in its own home now.

I really appreciate this comparison as I share your love of the 1602SS and am also becoming intrigued by the 1601SS. Well done!

Regarding running the cables over the ears, that has already saved my ass (actually my 1602SS) more than once. I won't wear them any other way. There have been complaints on the forum about the 1601 cable. I actually like the cable on the 1602. I find it to be sleek and nicely flexible. It will require care though.

So... overall... would you describe yourself as happy with your purchase of the 1601SS? Is it worth buying as a complement to the 1602SS (or is it perhaps too early to say)?

Nice pics BTW.

Since very different models have been mentioned on the recent FAD thread, I thought it more appropriate to start a thread --not necessarily a dedicated thread-- which deals primarily with the 1601 & 1602 models.

The quick answer to your question is: no, it's not worth having both 160X models. These are most definitely siblings, twins perhaps --though not identical-- as they have a lot in common, and some of these sonic differences are rather subtle.

However, these phones are different enough for me to not consider selling the 1601SS at this stage (I said I personally preferred the IX by a small margin). Also, like I said in my first post, with the 1601 you get several tips that do alter the sound, so that's also something to consider. Bear in mind that my impressions may vary from others' not just because of the usual ways we may hear and describe things, the music we listen to, etc., but fit does vary between both models -- I can't wear the 1601s with the cable down, for instance, and even over the ear I seem to get a slightly more secure fit with the IXs. I believe MF has some fit issues with the Piano Fortes. They also have a different design which may account for some of the differences I hear (different stainless steel chamber, bore opening, length of nozzle and vents).

Hopefully james444 and MuppetFace will post their own impressions / comparisons (here or on the other FAD thread) as they both have (or MF will have?) both models. I know James has the 1601 SB, 1601SS and the 1602SB (not SS, ie the VIII not IX). I think James may slightly prefer the 1601SB over the 1602SB SQ-wise, though he's only had the latter for a couple of weeks, so I'm not sure that is still the case today.

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 26
Seeing that you're based in Singapore (where you can audition several excellent phones), if you ever have a chance to try the new FitEar TO GO!111, please do so -- I think you may be more than pleasantly surprised. If you don't know anything about the 111s, you may want to have a look at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/619034/fitear-to-go-111-appreciation-discussion-and-reviews-thread

Good luck with your customs! Hope you don't have to go through multiple re-fits.

Cheers

PS Thanks for the kind words.

Many thanks for the well wishes! Yup I'm hoping very much that my upcoming CIEM journey won't turn out to be as disastrous as what some other Head-fi members make it out to be, in terms of comfort/fitting wise. I'm currently leaning on to the Heir Audio 4.As or 8.As, but there could also be a chance that one of my local audio stores here could be bringing in FitEar stuffs and if that's the case, I think I may take the plunge and purchase the To Go 334 series myself and forgo the whole customs route instead, since I don't exactly need utmost isolation when I'm outside and I'm relatively good with silicone tips or even tri-flange tips in terms of comfort-wise so far with all my current IEMs.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the ToGo 111 series aka F111. Yup I have actually been reading silently around some of the very actively discussed threads on HF lately, naturally your FitEar discussion has caught my eye as well but I just haven't been posting/commenting but more as a silent lurker, but decided to come leave a comment in here as a form of courtesy, since I have also jumped on-board the FAD bandwagon here and thought it would be actually nice to come in and say hi, like what you did before on my Audio-technica thread. :wink:

It's indeed pretty unfortunate to know however that your recent on-going discussion review/appreciation thread for the F111 has been spoiled by some nonsensical moron who's probably on the edge of being deranged out there, no words can fully express my sincere condolences for what has happened, well hopefully the rest of you can move on soon.

I will definitely drop you some PMs in future, if I have any question in regards to the FI-BA-SS, against some of the other IEMs you have in your current possession at the moment. Cheers and take care, my friend! :)

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 26
That unique sense of space, addicting midrange and great tonality on the 160Xs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocUcqdqnjQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EaSMR5grho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb6pxQtTyeI

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 26
yea was wonder what's happened to your post inside the FAD thread, was going refer to a friend.
Once again great comparison between previous 2 models.
Pretty amazed by how many sound can 1601 achieve with all the different tips and nozzles changing.
Seem FAD decided to go for more specific sound in their new PF line, off course with more bold design and sound tuning.

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:
yea was wonder what's happened to your post inside the FAD thread, was going refer to a friend.
Once again great comparison between previous 2 models.
Pretty amazed by how many sound can 1601 achieve with all the different tips and nozzles changing.
Seem FAD decided to go for more specific sound in their new PF line, off course with more bold design and sound tuning.

Thanks.

One thing, though --- I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "previous 2 models", but just in case, I want to clarify that only one of the two IEMs is a "previous model", the 1601SS. The 1602SS is also known as Piano Forte IX, i.e. the 1602SS & Piano Forte IX are one and the same IEM and the current model.

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 26
My feeling, when I tried the FAD range in Tokyo was that what they were doing with the chambers was brilliant, but the FR was wrong, for me at least. Maybe I need to sit down with a pair for an hour or longer and a variety of kit to get a handle on them. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:
My feeling, when I tried the FAD range in Tokyo was that what they were doing with the chambers was brilliant, but the FR was wrong, for me at least. Maybe I need to sit down with a pair for an hour or longer and a variety of kit to get a handle on them. 

Do you happen to remember which models you tried?

Like I said in the first post, "As a side note, the FI-BA-SS is an entirely different beast, and one that is definitely more correct from a FR graph standpoint than the 160Xs".

The 1601SS & Piano Forte IX (1602SS) are two IEMs I'd NOT recommend to the vast majority of people, specially the latter. The FR, as you point out, is off, and even, perhaps, quite off. The first day I tried the IX (my favourite of the two), I literally got a bit of an audio shock. However, soon afterwards I stared to 'dig' whatever it is that FAD had intended with these phones, though still some recordings sounded off. As time went by, I could literally not take the PF IXs out of my ears -- very, very odd and, like I said before, I really find it hard to convey just what it is about the PF IX & 1601SS that make these IEMs reach deeper into music -- to these ears, that is.

I wouldn't recommend them on SQ alone to most people. Then add to that the near complete lack of isolation, the pretty awkward fit, which will no doubt prove problematic for some / many, the lack of proper strain reliefs at the housings (actually no strain reliefs on the PF IX!).

The FI-BA-SS and (slightly more so) the Heaven-S have a better FR than both 1601SS &1602SS, or as I said earlier, they're "more correct". The 1601 & 1602 are definitely an acquired taste if left un-EQ'd -- I personally love the stock sound, but I can see why most would want to alter the stock sound.

I've described them as "idiosyncratic", and this is not just a 'clever' word, but quite true in the fullest sense. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Quote:
The 1601 & 1602 are definitely an acquired taste if left un-EQ'd -- I personally love the stock sound, but I can see why most would want to alter the stock sound.

I think that the 1602SS requires a lot of time to understand. I'm still exploring. After the first couple of days, I concluded that it benefited from equalization. Soon after and through to the present, I became of the opinion that it not only does not require it, the PF IX simply must not be equalized. Even a tiny shift throws the entire sound signature out of whack. I have this theory that the bell-shaped soundstage and the frequency response are closely related. As a result, what is technically incorrect is remarkably compelling. Conversely, EQ'ing destroys that harmony and also may rend a massive tear in the space time continuum. The stock is how it is meant to sound.

As time went by, I could literally not take the PF IXs out of my ears -- very, very odd and, like I said before, I really find it hard to convey just what it is about the PF IX & 1601SS that make these IEMs reach deeper into music -- to these ears, that is.

It is so. And to these.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

... I have this theory that the bell-shaped soundstage and the frequency response are closely related. As a result, what is technically incorrect is remarkably compelling. Conversely, EQ'ing destroys that harmony and also may rend a massive tear in the space time continuum. The stock is how it is meant to sound.

That's very interesting. I do think it's a combination of the large AND heavy stainless steel housings / chambers, with a single unit reaching the ears (no eartips), the very particular design (shape) which includes all the vents (allowing true free flow of air), and the tuning. I think all these elements can indeed make the whole presentation quite "compelling".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back