Final A8000 Beryllium Diaphragm Dynamic IEM Comments and Impressions
May 5, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #466 of 817
Can anyone provide a brief comparison between these and the JVC FW10000? I just received the latter and while I like them, I feel they could benefit from more sub-bass impact/rumble (the test tracks I played left me wanting more). I'm a big fan of single driver dynamic IEM - especially Japanese - so if these have more textured/visceral bass, they sound ideal (not terribly keen on the IER-Z1R despite the FR looking good).

I owned both and I guess I'm biased because I sold this one (loved the sound, but it hurt my ears) but kept the FW10000, but I think anyone who has listened to both will agree that your particular wish for more sub-bass impact/rumble won't be satisfied by switching to this one. If anything, I found that sub-bass felt less impactful on this one, while of course also feeling cleaner and more distinct, which goes for pretty much for everything on these ultra-resolving IEMs. The kind of sub-bass that you want is of course provided by the Z1R, but as you also know it has a bunch of downsides including not being as cohesive as the single DD IEMs.

May 5, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #467 of 817
I owned both and I guess I'm biased because I sold this one (loved the sound, but it hurt my ears) but kept the FW10000, but I think anyone who has listened to both will agree that your particular wish for more sub-bass impact/rumble won't be satisfied by switching to this one. If anything, I found that sub-bass felt less impactful on this one, while of course also feeling cleaner and more distinct, which goes for pretty much for everything on these ultra-resolving IEMs. The kind of sub-bass that you want is of course provided by the Z1R, but as you also know it has a bunch of downsides including not being as cohesive as the single DD IEMs.
Thanks very much, appreciate these reflections greatly. From what I had read on the various reviews, it seemed as though the sub-bass on the A8000 was slightly elevated, but if you're saying that the FW10000 is actually stronger in this respect, then I'll likely also stick with them. I do think they're excellent IEMs - musical with a superb timbre. I'm waiting on an Brise ASUHA Ref.2 balanced cable, which I understand adds a little more body. We'll see.

May 5, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #468 of 817
I'm waiting on an Brise ASUHA Ref.2 balanced cable, which I understand adds a little more body. We'll see.

A balanced cable definitely makes a positive difference if your amplifier outputs more power over its balanced connection. Although both of these IEMs are easy to drive even with a low power device, they definitely benefit from more power.

May 14, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #469 of 817
I just received the S.K and a friend, I’ll post comparisons between the A8000 and S.K as I get some burn-in time …

6A6077E6-75F2-4B77-8ADC-398CB60C3E17.jpeg

May 14, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #470 of 817
My only complaint on the S.K is the Oslo cable is very stiff and will not straighten. I’m hoping with some use and handling this will resolve itself. The sound is pretty amazing, and those that found the A8000 bright in the trebles should be happy. 😁

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #471 of 817
My only complaint on the S.K is the Oslo cable is very stiff and will not straighten. I’m hoping with some use and handling this will resolve itself. The sound is pretty amazing, and those that found the A8000 bright in the trebles should be very happy. 😁
So you prefer the SK to the a8000?

May 15, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #472 of 817
So you prefer the SK to the a8000?

I should have written my comment more clearly, I was talking about aesthetics and functionality, not performance. Based on my experience with the A8000, the S.K likely needs a good amount of burn-in (final recommended 150 hours on the A8000), so other than a quick listen, I’m burning in the S.K before I post anything definitive about its performance.

Concerning the stiffness of the cable, DITA replied to an inquiry by Andrew on this and said the cable softens with use.

I created an S.K thread, so all future comments by me will be posted there …

May 16, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #473 of 817
My only complaint on the S.K is the Oslo cable is very stiff and will not straighten. I’m hoping with some use and handling this will resolve itself. The sound is pretty amazing, and those that found the A8000 bright in the trebles should be very happy. 😁

Sadly I have had mine for 2 weeks now and the cable is still as willful as it was when it first arrived. :wink:

May 16, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #475 of 817
Mine has become more well-behaved after just 3 days. Maybe try wrapping it around something large to stretch out the curves and soften it more quickly.
Thanks for the tip! Will do so. The stock case with the small opening doesn't help, I guess, as you have to wind the cable before slipping it in. :wink:

May 16, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #476 of 817
By the way, the A8000 sounds really good when paired with a good 8 wire OFC cable like the Sony Kimble Kable. Still excellent technically but it does take some of the raw edge off the trebles. :)

May 16, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #477 of 817
By the way, the A8000 sounds really good when paired with a good 8 wire OFC cable like the Sony Kimble Kable. Still excellent technically but it does take some of the raw edge off the trebles. :)
Thank you for this. I’m acquiring a A8000 tomorrow and was curious what cable would tame some of that treble. I’m a classical lover and hope these will make my listening that much more palpable.

May 17, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #478 of 817
Thank you for this. I’m acquiring a A8000 tomorrow and was curious what cable would tame some of that treble. I’m a classical lover and hope these will make my listening that much more palpable.

A nice pure copper cable should due the trick. Congrats on your A8000 purchase! If it is brand new, 150 hours is what final recommends in regards to burn-in.

May 17, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #479 of 817
May 17, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #480 of 817

Indeed. I am not quite sure why Final decided to slip in a SPC cable which does not help with taming the treble glare. I was VERY pleased with the discovery in respect of a good copper cable. Copper cable notwithstanding, the A8000 and the SK are still sufficiently different for me to hold on to both. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back