Final A8000 Beryllium Diaphragm Dynamic IEM Comments and Impressions
Mar 28, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #451 of 817
Could you - or anybody else here - share their eq settings? I love my A8000 with good sources, it is unrivalled really, but sometimes I'd need to tone the treble down a notch.
There are problems, like I said that treble is pretty chaotic to EQ. It may be a physical problem. But if you want to eq for them. I highly suggest reading this post. CsgLinux's graph comes closest to how I hear it. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/final-a8000.24043/review/23529/

All other fr graphs misrepresent the treble trouble area of the a8000; even Crinacle's. There is a very bad 4th and smaller much later 5th peak that isn't caught in their rigs.....Don't use the AutoEQ or the Oratory AutoEQ version

I feel the lack of successful preset is due to Oratory and Crin's graphs not being accurate (in this specific iem's case)

11216074.png

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #452 of 817
There are problems, like I said that treble is pretty chaotic to EQ. It may be a physical problem. But if you want to eq for them. I highly suggest reading this post. CsgLinux's graph comes closest to how I hear it. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/final-a8000.24043/review/23529/

All other fr graphs misrepresent the treble trouble area of the a8000; even Crinacle's. There is a very bad 4th and smaller much later 5th peak that isn't caught in their rigs.....Don't use the AutoEQ or the Oratory AutoEQ version

I feel the lack of successful preset is due to Oratory and Crin's graphs not being accurate (in this specific iem's
Thank you, I will try the settings later today. I for sure agree that Crin’s settings miss the mark. I appreciate the link!

Mar 29, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #453 of 817
I did found 1 source that was so colored It even helped the Final A8000.

I have been using the Dunu dtc-100 dongle (or alternative is the Shanling UA1 dongle using same setup). It is a dongle with a strong warm tilt presentation and with no compression effect.

It helps ease the treble of the Final A8000 without needing an eq. Adds some bass too. Also reduces the vocal forwardness.

Highly highly recommended this is not a subtle change.

20210329_152303.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #454 of 817
I did found 1 source that was so colored It even helped the Final A8000.

I have been using the Dunu dtc-100 dongle (or alternative is the Shanling UA1 dongle using same setup). It is a dongle with a strong warm tilt presentation and with no compression effect.

It helps ease the treble of the Final A8000 without needing an eq. Adds some bass too. Also reduces the vocal forwardness.

Highly highly recommended this is not a subtle change.
Interesting. Unfortunately, it is USB-C so it will work with my iphone usb camera adapter but a very interesting discovery nevertheless.

May I ask: Since you own both, how would you summarize the difference between A8000 and Luna, and if forced, which of the two do you overall prefer? Thanks, Infoseeker ....

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #456 of 817
Interesting. Unfortunately, it is USB-C so it will work with my iphone usb camera adapter but a very interesting discovery nevertheless.

May I ask: Since you own both, how would you summarize the difference between A8000 and Luna, and if forced, which of the two do you overall prefer? Thanks, Infoseeker ....

Final a8000 usually sounds similar regardless of source for me. And doesn't respond to EQing to fix that 5-6khz location's treble. Probably due to its aggressive acoustic tuning.

The a8000 vocals is its major strength. Since the acoustic design makes sure it doesnt compete with the rest of the sound. It stays forward unsupressed no matter the bass or music complications. Really clear. Only strange thing, is vocals sound louder when it comes from the sides, but sound bad when it is presented to you in a center between your ears.

Only downside to the a8000 vocal is the unfixable S-pronounciation, which I believe is tied to the chamber acoustics. I even tried using physical treble filtering ozly eartips to try and filter it out and it remained. So it's some kind of resonance issue.

A8000 graphs by people to show it has less mid-treble than the Luna. The a8000 does in use.

The a8000 does come back up in late treble to give a sizzle to instruments in the late treble. So Both have sizzle, but for Luna it is a step more than should be.

Bass decays really natural on the Dunu Luna, and scales in punchiness depending on source. On the a8000 bass is very clean and fast and quick to disappear, but not in a non-satisfying way. And it sounds this way no matter the source.

Dunu Luna is more an all-rounder than the A8000. A8000 genres it is good with is jazz, metal music with pushed back vocals. It compensates well for the compression introduced into Metal like stuff and for then vocals that get recorded sounding far away.

For complicated vocal jazz stuff...The a8000 does this fine because the jazz vocals are usually recorded to suppress those high pitches like the S-pronounciation. Voices are usually deeper

But the Dunu Luna wins for jazz in the end due to the bass punchiness and the relatively more natural decay. Also the Luna is more dynamic overall, not neglecting anything on the stage...and doing it without sounding compressed.

If you need those clear sound signature for mainly jazz fans then the a8000 (and very extreme convoluted heavy metal). If you were to have one as the All-rounder it would be the Luna. I feel the Luna is more dynamic overall without needing the thin-clarity FR of the A8000 to highlight things.

20210329_182102.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #457 of 817
Final a8000 usually sounds similar regardless of source for me. And doesn't respond to EQing to fix that 5-6khz location's treble. Probably due to its aggressive acoustic tuning.

The a8000 vocals is its major strength as you said. Since the acoustic design makes sure it doesnt compete with the rest of the sound. It stays forward unsupressed no matter the bass or music complications. Really clear. Only strange thing, is vocals sound louder when it comes from the sides, but sound bad when it is presented to you in a center between your ears.

Only downside to the a8000 vocal is the unfixable S-pronounciation, which I believe is tied to the chamber acoustics. I even tried using physical treble filtering ozly eartips to try and filter it out and it remained. So it's some kind of resonance issue.

A8000 graphs by people to show it has less mid-treble than the Luna. The a8000 does in use.

The a8000 does come back up in late treble to give a sizzle to instruments in the late treble. So Both have sizzle, but for Luna it is a step more than should be.

Bass decays really natural on the Dunu Luna, and scales in punchiness depending on source. On the a8000 bass is very clean and fast and quick to disappear, but not in a non-satisfying way. And it sounds this way no matter the source.

Dunu Luna is more an all-rounder than the A8000. A8000 genres it is good with is jazz, metal music with pushed back vocals. It compensates well for the compression introduced into Metal like stuff and for then vocals that get recorded sounding far away.

For complicated vocal jazz stuff...The a8000 does this fine because the jazz vocals are usually recorded to suppress those high pitches like the S-pronounciation. Voices are usually deeper

But the Dunu Luna wins for jazz in the end due to the bass punchiness and the relatively more natural decay. Also the Luna is more dynamic overall, not neglecting anything on the stage...and doing it without sounding compressed.

If you need those clear sound signature for mainly jazz fans then the a8000 (and very extreme convoluted heavy metal). If you were to have one as the All-rounder it would be the Luna. I feel the Luna is more dynamic overall without needing the thin-clarity FR of the A8000 to highlight things.

Thanks for this :). As you know, I have the A8000 and very much agree with what you wrote about it, may be with the exception that it would be good for metal - which I find way too bright with it. But I'd like to add, the A8000 is because of its clarity the king of classical music. Plainly, I haven't heard any IEM better for it.

The reason why I am asking is ... I feel that the Luna will be (besides being a better allrounder) the better IEM on the go for me. The A8000 is fine on the sofa, but I'd never consider it an IEM I'd take for a run. Hence the Luna, and my A8000 is now on sale. But I very much dislike having to sell it (but I got enough audio gear as is).

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #458 of 817
Apr 25, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #460 of 817
Compared four cables yesterday night, on my Final A8000. Stock 3.5mm vs CEMA Tianwaitian vs Fengru Hakugei White Dragon vs CEMA Pipa.

I used my main dac, a powerful Audio-GD dual WM8741, hooked to iFi's Pro iCan. One of the 1/4in output had a 1/8 adapter for the stock cable, the second identical output a 4.4mm adapter for the other three cables. I just had to switch the inear connectors to compare two at a time.

Long story short, Pipa was the last to be tested and cleared the table. It's a perfect match to the A8000 for my ears. Tianwaitian was the previous pair up, a very nice combo but a bit too soft on the lower treble, I now see.

Pipa gives a sense of focus, fidelity and tremendous energy to the already very competent A8000. I've been binge listening great music all afternoon, the feeling of perfect synergy has not wavered in the slightest.

Here's one the highlights of the day :

R-5332481-1390760775-4334.jpeg.jpg

As always with Grisman, production quality is top notch. Listening to this one is a delight of tone and vibrancy. Such a true to life first row experience of music.

Other blasts were :

Puzzle.jpg

and

a2656286645_10.jpg

Magnificent renderings.

In a more synth-pop-with-a-twist mood, this one was a treat :

R-17562928-1614161685-3026.jpeg.jpg

I've been to three of their shows in Paris, love all their albums. Delicious on the A8000 / Pipa pairing.

The moniker Pipa refers to a Chinese string instrument, which I heard played by Wu Man on this album many years ago :

nhaug8ry.j31

Very thoughtful of CEMA to have chosen such a name.

Today's listening was experienced with my DX300, streaming Qobuz, mid gain with a 50 to 60 volume, D1 filter. Beautifully intense, without any harshness. Tuned to perfection.

This is the most impressive inear / cable pairing I've experienced, period. The previous one was VE8 with Dunu Hulk, which - again to my ears - was a superior match compared to way more expensive offerings.

Bravo CEMA, I'm very grateful.

And the Tianwaitian will happily return to the Luna ^^

May 4, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #461 of 817
Thanks for this :). As you know, I have the A8000 and very much agree with what you wrote about it, may be with the exception that it would be good for metal - which I find way too bright with it. But I'd like to add, the A8000 is because of its clarity the king of classical music. Plainly, I haven't heard any IEM better for it.

The reason why I am asking is ... I feel that the Luna will be (besides being a better allrounder) the better IEM on the go for me. The A8000 is fine on the sofa, but I'd never consider it an IEM I'd take for a run. Hence the Luna, and my A8000 is now on sale. But I very much dislike having to sell it (but I got enough audio gear as is).
Hi ,can u please tell me which DAP u paired with for classical music ?I m paired with sony wm1a but thinking of replacing it, tks.

May 5, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #465 of 817
Can anyone provide a brief comparison between these and the JVC FW10000? I just received the latter and while I like them, I feel they could benefit from more sub-bass impact/rumble (the test tracks I played left me wanting more). I'm a big fan of single driver dynamic IEM - especially Japanese - so if these have more textured/visceral bass, they sound ideal (not terribly keen on the IER-Z1R despite the FR looking good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back