Final A8000 Beryllium Diaphragm Dynamic IEM Comments and Impressions
Oct 24, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #332 of 817
A3k is more of a bassy transparent iem and a4k is more mid focused from what information I gathered
It's a tricky thing, putting another headphone in the A8000 category. I tried other Final products, but didn't find the "magic" of the A8000 in them. When I think of my A8000, I think of transparency, layering, and smooth presentation. The degrees to which the A8000 hits those points, I question whether or not a headphone built at a lower price point can hit them. I guess we'll see- the A category is new and perhaps there are other characteristics and tuning that can be hit with different material choices.

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #333 of 817
6mm drivers? So this is more a refresh of the E series but with different tuning?

Since they are labeled A so the tuning must be trying to go for Harman, but extra bassy, like the A8000.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #336 of 817
i use A8000 with Fiio M15, has enough power especially thru balanced output.
I can definitely get the FINAL A8000 to a loud volume using the DTR1 that's not the issue. I'm just unsure whether I am getting the most out of the IEMs because the sound is lacking something to my ears.

I come from a pair of FLC8N which have lots of highs (more than A8000) and are more dynamic. The sound is sharper, brighter.

To contrast, my A8000 have better imaging, bass definition, Soundstage and some more details. However the sound is not as bright / sharp / dynamic as my FLC8N.

By adding an amp to the setup, (DTR1 + A8000) I would like to get a more dynamic and bright sound from by A8000.

I don't know if that is possible or if the A8000 sound signature is just not to my taste. I've read on this thread that they really benefit from good amping but I'm not sure if adding an amp would get me what I am looking for or not.

If you got any insights, tips, suggestions, my ears are all open.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #337 of 817
Anyone compared the A8000 to the UM Mest? Hearing all sorts of good things about them and wondered what they do better and worse than my A8000... I’m definitely intrigued. I’m nearly tempted to get a pair and see which I like best.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #338 of 817
@DidouPower
i once added Topping A90 between M15 and A8000 and even though i didn't listen too much, i remember that it was too powerful and the amount of bass was too big and seemed a bit dirty. So probably you won't get additional highs with an amp but this was just a first impression when both A90 and A8000 were new, i remember i didn't like it. Maybe i'll try this again. If you're not into bit perfect, you could use EQ or change your DAP or DAC with a brighter one :) never ending story of finding best match.

Btw, about various comparisons, i briefly compared A8000 to Audeze LCD2 fazor edition, maybe not fair but just as reference, with LCD2 i was able to hear way easier some details. They were audible with A8000 but i didn't noticed them until i switched to LCD2 which revealed them immediately, then i switched back to A8000, the details were there but they were not that obvious.

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #339 of 817
Anyone compared the A8000 to the UM Mest? Hearing all sorts of good things about them and wondered what they do better and worse than my A8000... I’m definitely intrigued. I’m nearly tempted to get a pair and see which I like best.
Will be reviewing the A8000 maybe this weekend or next week. I have heard it twice before, and I am impressed about it and prefer to the Luna for instance, but it does have some problems too.

I've owned the MEST for a couple weeks, and it's truly impressive, but doesn't have the coherency and dynamics of the Final. I still think it's the better overall performer however.

I will also reference my KSE1500, Z1R and U12T in review.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 29, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #340 of 817
Will be reviewing the A8000 maybe this weekend or next week. I have heard it twice before, and I am impressed about it and prefer to the Luna for instance, but it does have some problems too.

I've owned the MEST for a couple weeks, and it's truly impressive, but doesn't have the coherency and dynamics of the Final. I still think it's the better overall performer however.

I will also reference my KSE1500, Z1R and U12T in review.

I had the U12t as well, and have always fancied the Z1R so I’d welcome your insight and comparison.

I do like my A8000 but have to admit I find the treble not to my taste and often distracting (mood and track dependent I guess). In that sense I don’t find them ‘coherent’ enough and don’t know if I could ever hold them as my one and only IEM.

Oct 30, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #342 of 817
What is your understanding of coherence here? I find it very precise with fiio m15. What is your source?

I listen to a lot of less than greatly recorded music, a lot of metal music. The A8000, with its pronounced treble, can make cymbals unbearable in certain tracks, like a bleached haze riding on top of the music, a total sore thumb. This is how I’m describing incoherent. I guess this is more down to how well the music is recorded. My high quality music I don’t have the same trouble.

Hence why I say I don’t think I could have just the A8000. I have to figure out whether it’s my cup of tea or whether I’d be better off exploring other options. I’m also considering getting another IEM to just compliment it and alternate depending on genre/mood.

I’m using Sony ZX2 or Chord Mojo, but also demoed them on the Hugo 2. Hugo 2 was definitely my preferred option but mulling over whether I want to purchase one (need to find the funds really, or decide If I’d rather buy another IEM instead)

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #343 of 817
I listen to a lot of less than greatly recorded music, a lot of metal music. The A8000, with its pronounced treble, can make cymbals unbearable in certain tracks, like a bleached haze riding on top of the music, a total sore thumb. This is how I’m describing incoherent. I guess this is more down to how well the music is recorded. My high quality music I don’t have the same trouble.

Hence why I say I don’t think I could have just the A8000. I have to figure out whether it’s my cup of tea or whether I’d be better off exploring other options. I’m also considering getting another IEM to just compliment it and alternate depending on genre/mood.

I’m using Sony ZX2 or Chord Mojo, but also demoed them on the Hugo 2. Hugo 2 was definitely my preferred option but mulling over whether I want to purchase one (need to find the funds really, or decide If I’d rather buy another IEM instead)
I really like the Z1R for metal, or u12t with m20 module if you want faster sound

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #344 of 817
I really like the Z1R for metal, or u12t with m20 module if you want faster sound

Thanks, I’ve been wanting to try the Z1R, but actually chose the A8000 over it for the faster transients. Maybe one day I’ll get to try it some place. I came from the U12t which I did enjoy by it lacked a bit of dynamics for me.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #345 of 817
Thanks, I’ve been wanting to try the Z1R, but actually chose the A8000 over it for the faster transients. Maybe one day I’ll get to try it some place. I came from the U12t which I did enjoy by it lacked a bit of dynamics for me.
On my second audition of A8000, and subsequently when it didn’t impress as much - I had A/B’d with Z1R. Treble performance of Z1R is not far off, and imho severely underrated.

I prefer my Z1R to U12T unquestionably, with almost any material too. I achieve a super deep fit which is crucial for a nice treble however

Users who are viewing this thread

Back