FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Oct 16, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #724 of 903

how does it compare to wm8740 and wm8741?

I personally think that is an oversimplification as implementation is going to affect the end sound output.

For example the spec sheet for the TI5102 suggests that the chip itself is capable of rates up to 32/384 but the Q1 only allows 24/96, the spec on the Wolfson chips indicates 24/192 with the WM8741 also doing DSD but it will depend on how they are implemented as to whether they will do this. Also consider that is just the raw chip and takes no account of any filters or anything else the product manufacturer may do that will affect sound.

The Dragonfly is another example where the ESS Sabre will do DXD/DSD but Audioquest have limited it to 24/96.

If you really want to do the comparison it would need to be a comparison of the end product in which the chip was installed as opposed to just the raw chip.

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #726 of 903
So basically its the implementation and not dac chip?

What I'm suggesting is that any assessment needs to be of the whole completed package and even then there will be an element of personal preference that will affect opinion. You can look at spec sheets, you can even look at measurements but ultimately you need to listen to find your preferred sound.

Also don't forget the Q1 includes an amplifier as well as the DAC and the amp portion of any como device will also have an effect on the sound you ultimately hear. In theory you could get the best DAC chip out there that has been implemented perfectly but put it through a poor amp and all the good work is lost.

If you are looking at the Q1 I would say that it isn't a bad DAC/Amp for the price.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #729 of 903
The most difference I get is from the lower output Impedance... Sensitive IEM like my HEAVEN II sounds shrill and thin out of the Ipod 's HO (4th gen btw) , and it became warmer and full out of the Q1 acting as an amp..

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #730 of 903
Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a portable headphone amp and have narrowed it down to the Q1 or the A3, is anyone able to say which is the better amp?

I'll be using it with my S7 Edge and Sony XBA Z5.

Price wise the A3 is available for £46 and the Q1 is £60.

Also interested in hearing which is better In terms of Sound and Sub bass quality

Thanks

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #731 of 903
zaim - the A3 is an amp only, the Q1 is a DAC/Amp so they're two different devices and you aren't really comparing like for like. Don't forget the S7E doesn't have a line-out function so you'll be double amping the signal through the headphone output.

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #732 of 903
@zaim - the A3 is an amp only, the Q1 is a DAC/Amp so they're two different devices and you aren't really comparing like for like. Don't forget the S7E doesn't have a line-out function so you'll be double amping the signal through the headphone output.

Ah yes that's true, though I'm only comparing them due to the price difference, I will only be using it as an Amp rather than DAC, but want to know in terms of price and performance which would be the better option. 

Or is it worth going for the A5, seems to be £99 lol

Edit: Just been doing a quick spec comparison, I think as an Amp I'm better off with the A3, better frequency response range, 10hz-90hz, higher power output, but the battery appears to be weaker in terms of playback time

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #733 of 903
The amp, both in the A3 and Q1 is "alright" at best, better get the A5 if you can..
If you really have no need for an external DAC (for phones, PC, Laptop use, it's very versatile and keep the Headphone jack healthy :D) get an amp only

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #735 of 903
Hi guys I was using my Q1 with my x1, now I upgraded to the x3ii. I noticed that some guys in this thread are stacking their x3ii with the Q1. Would the Q1 stacked with the x3ii not degrade the sound quality?  I thought  the x3 had a better built in amp. Does it help the sound quality at all? I would imagine you could get another 5 hours of listening time but that would be the only bonus. I ask because im going on a flight and I don't think I should bring my O2 amp from mayflower electronics since it runs on 9V batteries....I don't want to get stopped in security with my O2 amp as my wife is telling me not to bring it as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back