FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Sep 20, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #691 of 903
so which one is the best overall and which is the best for portability?

You're being rather vague. Perhaps you can tell us what headphones/earphones you intend to use these with? Their power output and hence their ability to drive headphones well varies.

Some of them are more portable and means to be used on the go more than others. For example the Q1 is better suited to be used on the go than the e10k.

Also, do you need a Dac+amp or just an amp?

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #694 of 903
What is the difference between a DAC and an amp and which is better between amp/ DAC and only amp?

You're confusing yourself bro

A DAC, is a Digital-to-Analog-Converter. What a DAC does is that it processes the digital signal from your computer or phone into analog signals which can then be turned into sound by your headphone's drivers.

An amp, is an Amplifier, designed to amplify the current analog signal sent, giving more power to power hungry headphones with high impedance or low sensitivity.

There is no "which one is better", only "which model is better", but even so the latter question is hard to answer sometimes.

And I will be using senheiser HD 598 and Hifiman re400

Do you need an amp? Not really, but you might benefit from it, especially paired with the HD598s.

Do you need a DAC? Most likely, especially if you are currently listening to music just through your phone or your computer's motherboard (no dedicated soundcard)

Should you get the Q1? Maybe, but honestly at this price nothing can go wrong. As for the other models, I have not heard them and cannot vouch for them.

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #695 of 903
  You're confusing yourself bro

A DAC, is a Digital-to-Analog-Converter. What a DAC does is that it processes the digital signal from your computer or phone into analog signals which can then be turned into sound by your headphone's drivers.

An amp, is an Amplifier, designed to amplify the current analog signal sent, giving more power to power hungry headphones with high impedance or low sensitivity.

There is no "which one is better", only "which model is better", but even so the latter question is hard to answer sometimes.

Do you need an amp? Not really, but you might benefit from it, especially paired with the HD598s.

Do you need a DAC? Most likely, especially if you are currently listening to music just through your phone or your computer's motherboard (no dedicated soundcard)

Should you get the Q1? Maybe, but honestly at this price nothing can go wrong. As for the other models, I have not heard them and cannot vouch for them.

+1. Good explanation.

I auditioned the HD598 today, paired with an Onkyo DP X1 DAP. At full volume and highest gain setting, the cans sounded a bit lifeless. I believe the Onkyo already has a good amp built-in, so you might want to consider a beefier amp/dac+amp to drive those HD598. Surprising, since I think the impedance of the HD598 is only about 64ohms or so. I might be wrong.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #697 of 903
Aight, apaar, we get it.

I used to have this dilemma which I could either choose the e10k, Q1 or the Schiit Fulla, and for me I looked at what I wanted:

1) I planned to use it as a DAC out in the future for desktop use (cause I'm poor, lol)
2) I wanted it to be portable because I like strapping things to my phone
3) Being able to DAC out or amp out was a huge bonus

So I went for the Q1 instead of all other options, and I'll tell you this. At this pricepoint you cannot go wrong.

I'm saying this cause I've seen you post similar questions over at the e10k thread, and while it's not wrong, it honestly isn't recommended. Settle down, make a quick decision based on your circumstances, get one, and happy listening.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #698 of 903
Aight, apaar, we get it.

I used to have this dilemma which I could either choose the e10k, Q1 or the Schiit Fulla, and for me I looked at what I wanted:

1) I planned to use it as a DAC out in the future for desktop use (cause I'm poor, lol)

So I went for the Q1 instead of all other options, and I'll tell you this. At this pricepoint you cannot go wrong.

I'm saying this cause I've seen you post similar questions over at the e10k thread, and while it's not wrong, it honestly isn't recommended. Settle down, make a quick decision based on your circumstances, get one, and happy listening.

well thank you so much

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #700 of 903
  Aight, apaar, we get it.

I still say just save up until you can get a better DAC/Amp BUT I am currently using a Q1 as DAC only into a Schiit Vali amp until I have the money to buy a Schiit Modi Multibit and it does sound really good.   

BTW, apaar123, if you do decide you want a Q1 I'll sell you mine for $50 since I'm planning on upgrading it anyway.  Perfect condition. Haven't had it that long and I believe I even still have the box it came in. I don't mind going straight from my PC to the amp until I get a new DAC. 

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #701 of 903
I
I still say just save up until you can get a better DAC/Amp BUT I am currently using a Q1 as DAC only into a Schiit Vali amp until I have the money to buy a Schiit Modi Multibit and it does sound really good.   

BTW, apaar123, if you do decide you want a Q1 I'll sell you mine for $50 since I'm planning on upgrading it anyway.  Perfect condition. Haven't had it that long and I believe I even still have the box it came in. I don't mind going straight from my PC to the amp until I get a new DAC. 
I can save up but I want a portable amp

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #705 of 903
I've had this for a couple months now, and I was initally able to just plug and play on my Windows laptop. Now, there are some instances when it will not work when I plug it in. A couple times I redownloaded the driver via Windows, the other times the Q1 was not recognized at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back