FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Oct 5, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #706 of 903
I've had this for a couple months now, and I was initally able to just plug and play on my Windows laptop. Now, there are some instances when it will not work when I plug it in. A couple times I redownloaded the driver via Windows, the other times the Q1 was not recognized at all.

I've found that the only time it wouldn't play for me in Windows 10 was after an update when it had lost its designation as the default playback device. Once I reset it as default it works fine and when I turn it off the playback goes back to the speakers.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #707 of 903
I've had this for a couple months now, and I was initally able to just plug and play on my Windows laptop. Now, there are some instances when it will not work when I plug it in. A couple times I redownloaded the driver via Windows, the other times the Q1 was not recognized at all.

I think that this is a Windows issue. I've had the same problem on a Windows 10 laptop and tablet with the Q1, iBasso D14 and Dragonfly. I have another Windows 10 tablet that I haven't updated in quite a while and I don't have the problem with that one which leads me to think that an update at some point has introduced the problem. When it first happened I did do a Google search and there were other reports about general issues with USB devices not been recognised and drivers having to be manually applied.

Like you when I have had this problem simply going into device manager and 'updating' the driver to the one already installed for the device solves the issue, I haven't had to re-download the drivers.

I'm pretty sure the problem is with WIndows as the various DACs work perfectly every time when I boot into Linux, they also work with my Android devices and with my Chromebook.

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #708 of 903
Does anyone else have a crackling problem when adjusting volume? It doesn't happen immidiately after turning it on.. Only after few hours of constant use does it happen. Happen in no matter what gear I use, IEM, earbud, and over ear alike.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #711 of 903
Hey guys, i need your help. I have the Beyerdynamic dt250-250 and the Fostex t50rp mk3 headphones. I would like to use them on my Samsung Galaxy s5 and on my mp3 player. I am searching for a good portable amp (do i need a dac, too?). Right now, i can't decide between the Q1, the E11k aka A3 and the E12 Montblanc. I know that the E12 has the most power, but which of these 3 suits my needs the best? Do the q1 and the a3 have enough power to run the Fostex? I'm a real noob in this portable amp/dac subject, so i hope you can give me some advices. Greetings and thanks

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #712 of 903
What's your mp3 player? Does it support usb out to external DAC?
If it doesn't, the Q1 isn't worth it, using Q1 as USB DAC also need specific music player app on the Android.
A3 amp is just barely better than Q1, for longetivity of use and versatility it's better if you get the E12 (A5 is its newest iteration, said to have black background like E12A but also able to push harder cans like E12).
Get the Q1 if you also plan to use it with your Laptop/PC.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #713 of 903
I have a Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip, which doesn't support a usb out. Bit i would like to use the amp on my pc also. Do which one would be the best connection wise? The Q1 or the the E12? The E12 and the A3 are only amps without DACs right? Which Apps could i use on my Samsung for the q1?

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #714 of 903
I have a Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip, whoch has no Usb out. I also would use the amp on my pc for gaming. So which of these 3 has enough power and has the right connections for my purposes? Dies the Q1 have enough power to run the Fostex?

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #715 of 903
The Q1 can act as an amp for both of your device too, but won't be as dynamic and powerful as an E12. You can also use it as a DAC for your samsung, though you'll only able to use it with app like Onkyo Hifi, Hiby player, etc (other sound like Youtube or VLC won't go through the DAC).
The benefit you get by using DAC with your Laptop/PC is it'd eliminate any audible interferences that the device make (static, cracking, fussy jack). As it does on mine, but your laptop may/ may not have the same problem, it essentially makes your PC headphone jack redundant. An amp though, will only amplify signal it get from the headphone jack, interferences included.

And yes, the Q1 is powerful enough for the Fostex, my friend use E10K to drive his, and both have same figures for amp wattage per 32 ohm.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #716 of 903
For some reason the Q1 doesn't work properly as a USB DAC/Amp with the Galaxy S5. It will work but only if you use a USB hub in between the S5 and the Q1, it doesn't need to be a powered hub so a passive hub will do the job (I don't know why but others have reported the same thing). It's not an Android issue as my Q1 works fine with my Moto G and Galaxy S7E.

Once you have it working it will actually work with any app not just apps such as UAPP/Hiby/Onkyo but you will only get bitperfect playback in those apps that specifically support it for USB audio.

Remember that if you use it as an amp only from your S5 you will have to run the cable from the headphone out to the line in so you will be double amping which many seem to consider a no-no.

I have an EU S5 with the Snapdragon chip, I think some other regions had the Exynos version which may or may not work with the Q1.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #717 of 903
Thank you very mich for your time and the information. Since I have a Creazive USB soundcard on my pc, I think that the Dac is obsolete for me. I think I'll go with the E12 then. Thank you , Sp12er3.

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #718 of 903
The Q1 works fine as a USB dac+amp on my HTC One M8, no need for specialized apps e.g Hiby, etc. This may or may not be the case with other phone models. USB DAC compatibility with Android has always been rather flaky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back