FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Jan 19, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #407 of 903
  Just got this baby yesterday. Work flawlesly with my HD681 evo 
biggrin.gif

Anyway quick question, Is it ok to leave my Q1 connected to my PC when im away. 
Just curious if there's any serious implication from it.
You know like you you shouldn't keep your phone connected to the charger or it would affect your battery etc etc.
Something like that.

Hi, Aokiji.
Sorry for the late reply. 
It is OK to leave your Q1 connected to the PC when you are away, because there is a CHG switch on the Q1. So, the Q1 will not be charged by your PC after setting the CHG switch to OFF. :)

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #408 of 903
Revelation:

Got the interconnects to go digitally out from the iPhone 5S to the Q1. Didn't really expect a lot of difference (as I've always rated the Apple iPhones music quality).  Quite surprised - and impressed. Don't think it is volume related, but I don't have these volume matched - so need to wait until I get home so I can check and tell for sure.

If the difference is really as noticeable as it seems, then consider me converted!  More to come ....... 

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #409 of 903
I own Pioneer HDJ1500 headphones. Will i see any difference with an amp connected? I dont own any now, headphones diectly connected on smartphone. What I will gain from it? More volume, better quality, more bas etc...

Actually i am thinking of byuing it. Is it better to connect the amp using the mini usb port or with audio jack? If the 1st, any link to buy that cable?

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #410 of 903
I own Pioneer HDJ1500 headphones. Will i see any difference with an amp connected? I dont own any now, headphones diectly connected on smartphone. What I will gain from it? More volume, better quality, more bas etc...

Actually i am thinking of byuing it. Is it better to connect the amp using the mini usb port or with audio jack? If the 1st, any link to buy that cable?

What is your source? DAP or smart phone.

Based on my experience (and Brookos) the direct digital connection will make a difference.

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #411 of 903

Nick - your Pioneers are 32 ohm and 108 dB sensitivity - so most audio devices and/or smart-phones will drive them fine. With an amp you can get cleaner and more regulated amplification, but it is hard to say whether there would be an improvement unless we know your source (as holden4th mentioned above).  If you are using your source as a digital out to the Q1 - ie using the Q1's dac and amp, then there may indeed be improved quality.  I'm in the process of testing my iPhone 5S with the Q1 (using the Q11's DAC) - and so far seems that the Q1's DAC is subjectively better than the iPhone's.

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #414 of 903
Hi all,
I've been through a fair bit of this thread and this morning pulled the trigger on a Q1.
It'll be my first foray into headphone amplification.

I'll be mainly listening to Spotify on my iPhone 6 and Laptop.
My Headphones (Although nothing of the quality most of you have) are AKG K450, AKG K44, House of Marley Exodus, Sennheiser CX 880, Sennheiser CX 300 II

I have been reading that its best to use the Lightning port, can you recommend a connector? There is a lot of choice!
How would you best recommend connecting to my laptop?

Thanks for reading my first post

Matt

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #415 of 903
Hi all,
I've been through a fair bit of this thread and this morning pulled the trigger on a Q1.
It'll be my first foray into headphone amplification.

I'll be mainly listening to Spotify on my iPhone 6 and Laptop.
My Headphones (Although nothing of the quality most of you have) are AKG K450, AKG K44, House of Marley Exodus, Sennheiser CX 880, Sennheiser CX 300 II

I have been reading that its best to use the Lightning port, can you recommend a connector? There is a lot of choice!
How would you best recommend connecting to my laptop?

Thanks for reading my first post

Matt

There is actually only one choice, the Apple lightning camera connection adapter which is lightning to USB

The model no is MD821ZM/A. Amazon and others carry these for $45. You will then need a USB to Micro USB connector to connect to your Q1. There is a short one in the Q1 pack.

Welcome to Headfi and let's hope you make many more posts.

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #417 of 903
What is your source? DAP or smart phone.

Based on my experience (and Brookos) the direct digital connection will make a difference.

Nick - your Pioneers are 32 ohm and 108 dB sensitivity - so most audio devices and/or smart-phones will drive them fine. With an amp you can get cleaner and more regulated amplification, but it is hard to say whether there would be an improvement unless we know your source (as holden4th mentioned above).  If you are using your source as a digital out to the Q1 - ie using the Q1's dac and amp, then there may indeed be improved quality.  I'm in the process of testing my iPhone 5S with the Q1 (using the Q11's DAC) - and so far seems that the Q1's DAC is subjectively better than the iPhone's.

I can't understand what you are asking by dap or smartphone. I own Oneplus One and i connect my headphones directly to the smartphone.

So?

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #418 of 903
Hey, all.  I just received my Q1 yesterday from Amazon. I've been testing it out and doing some ABing between various sources including a brand new Windows 10 Dell laptop, my homebuilt PC with older Xfi card and my iPhone. Headphones are Harman Kardon BT Premium plugged in, Westone UM-20Pro IEM and a little bit of my Monoprice 8323's.

It's nice to be able to listen to my PC with no fan noise invading the mix during quiet points. Though overall the SQ is not that bad from my older X-fi sound card. When I AB'ed this Bon Iver Youtube performance in HD I found that through the amp when the lower voice kicks in around 1:40 there is definitely the feeling of a little more girth there. Overall I feel like there's a tad more presence in most things I've listened to through all three sets of phones. I'm running the Q1 through USB of course. Here's the Bon Iver video I was listening to. It's a pretty good live recording:

I also used the studio recording of the first two songs in the video streamed from Tidal as an AB and my experience was the same (from Bon Iver's self-titled album). I've listened intently to a number of other recordings as well including The XX's XX album which is an amazing recording, Renauld Garcia-Fons's song Hacia Compostela from Solo, Yo Yo Ma's recording of Gabriel's Oboe, Radiohead's Kid A, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones Stomping Grounds from Live Art, etc..  Sounds good with or without the Q1 through all of my phones but seems to gain just a touch of extra girth in the low end and presence all around.  Everything feels just a tad tighter as well to me. The difference is not hugely marked from listening without but I think I'm liking it enough to keep the Q1. I don't have the USB connector for my iPhone yet.. I'll get it eventually. I've tried it just as an amp connected to the headphone jack and didn't notice much difference with these low impedence headphones. Tomorrow I'm actually going to take the Q1 to music practice (I'm a bass player) and see if it is helpful in my in-ear monitoring. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #419 of 903

Your original question was asking if your headphones would improve by adding an amp.  The HDJ1500s are relatively easy to drive - so most smartphones (like your OnePlusOne) or DAPs (digital audio players - like the Fiio X3ii, X5ii etc) will handle them fine without any need for additional amplification.

In those cases, unless the amp on your phone is sub-standard, or overly coloured, then the Q1 will simply supply more volume - and arguably better regulated power supply which could translate into higher quality.  It has a bass boost switch, but the Q1 measures flat, so it isn't going to add bass unless you engage the bass boost.

If your phone has a sub-standard DAC, and allows the Q1 to take it's digital signal, then you can run the Q1's DAC and amp to your headphones.  That may net a rise in SQ.  It seems to be doing this with my iPhone 5S.  I subjectively like the sonics more from the Q5 than the iPhone direct.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #420 of 903
Hmmmmm... I'll buy it as a 1st amp to see myself the diff it can make. Thanks for you reply, it made my decision easier. 
@Brooko Where can i buy the otg cable with a short lenght? I don't know how to search it on google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back