FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Dec 31, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #361 of 903
  have you thought about the oppo ha-2? they sound great with the HD600's. i find that at the highest volume sometimes i want a bit more. but i like to listen loud. most people are pretty content with the HA-2 and 600's pairing.

So expensive though even more so than the JDS labs C5D. I Should mention im in Canada so everything in american prices is jacked up right now due to the low dollar. My fiio X1 was around $150 (this is currently what im stacking the q1 with). I really like the sennhesier 598's and could imagine the 600's are even better...primary listening with these headphones is artist's like Yanni and Nico  instrumental stuff perhaps some jazz and some heavy metal type music (Lol i know im messed up to listen to opposite spectrum's of music). I think with the bass boost the q1 currently offers for the music i listen to is sounds perfect.  

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #362 of 903
After much analysis, I might be choosing the Q1 over the K1 for usage as a laptop onboard sound replacement, as I like that the chance to use it also for mobile (on the Nexus 6P or.. whatever I use after that). The E10K is interesting too but I think the Q1 is more flexible. So there we go, hope I can get it soon!

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #363 of 903
  i need a cable like the one you have but short, like a few inches long, not 3 ft (for portable use with a 6P). haven't had any luck finding one. if you do please post. thanks!

I think this might be a quite short cable (I also have a Nexus 6P) but the price is quite steep, not to mention shipping unless you're in UK.
So.. still searching (if I do get the Q1 which I plan to eventualy)

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/usb-3-1-usb-c-male-to-micro-usb-female-short-cable-p51516.htm

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #364 of 903
'sQuote:
  After much analysis, I might be choosing the Q1 over the K1 for usage as a laptop onboard sound replacement, as I like that the chance to use it also for mobile (on the Nexus 6P or.. whatever I use after that). The E10K is interesting too but I think the Q1 is more flexible. So there we go, hope I can get it soon!

I've never owned any others amps but for what i paid for the Q1 its great and is on sale right now on amazon. Its an improvement, i cant vouche for the SQ compared to my onboard on my desktop since they sound about the same...although my computer is worth about $1600 and the Q1 with the bass boost and my 598's really added a more full body sound compared to my Fiio X1, or onboard computer sound. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #365 of 903
  I've never owned any others amps but for what i paid for the Q1 its great and is on sale right now on amazon. Its an improvement, i cant vouche for the SQ compared to my onboard on my desktop since they sound about the same...although my computer is worth about $1600 and the Q1 with the bass boost and my 598's really added a more full body sound compared to my Fiio X1, or onboard computer sound. 

Te bass boost is an amazing addition to the Q1.  I agree that it adds more body to the music while not taking away from the mids or highs.  I'm not impressed with the boost off.  I noted this in my review I did shortly after I got it.

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #366 of 903
Te bass boost is an amazing addition to the Q1.  I agree that it adds more body to the music while not taking away from the mids or highs.  I'm not impressed with the boost off.  I noted this in my review I did shortly after I got it.

I feel almost exactly the opposite. I like how the q is ever so slightly warm but mainly leaves the music - and detail - alone. Bass boost is usually too much for me; makes the sound too cluttered.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #370 of 903
Would someone with an iOS setup be kind enough to post a picture of the cables used?

I ordered the Apple CCK, and the shortest USB to micro USB cable I can find is 6".   I'm "assuming" the Apple CCK is roughly 6" too, so the overall length is about a foot?

A picture would be greatly appreciated!

(I'm wondering if I should just get an X3 in the end)

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #371 of 903
  Would someone with an iOS setup be kind enough to post a picture of the cables used?

I ordered the Apple CCK, and the shortest USB to micro USB cable I can find is 6".   I'm "assuming" the Apple CCK is roughly 6" too, so the overall length is about a foot?

Yes You should ... haha

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #372 of 903

I don't own the Fiio Q1 but the Fiio E17k and I bought 'Apple Lightning To USB Camera Adopter / MD821ZM/A' which is basically a Lightning To USB (Don't know why Camera Adopter there) a perfect / real OTG cable for iPad.

Used it with my iPad 4 to play music via E17k and worked great.

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #374 of 903
OK, I just tried Q1/E11k combo and when using the aux port as a line out the amp,volume, gain bass all disabled. Kinda what I was expecting but FYI. That gives one a bit of headroom for more demanding headphones

Also doing my best to compare to e07k although my ears are not tuned and way too old and damaged to do a high tech evaluation. That said, the e07k is definitely warmer which isn't a bad thing on AKG K240s. The Q1 may be a tad to bright for my taste with these headphones but the AKGs are known to vary based on the source. This also gives the edge to Q1 for details. I will need to choose as I have already initiated return of e07k and I'm not keeping both.

The line out could be the deciding factor. Not possible with the e07K without the adapter which is bulky and prone to falling out and so-so quality from what I have read.

I'm sure it would be fine with high sensitivity iems as the low gain setting is quite low

also, works fine as dac with nexus 6 using usb otg cable

Thanks for the feedback on the usage of the Q1 aux port as line out. I pretend to hook it to my stereo akai amp so it's valuable information.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #375 of 903
Thinking of getting either the Ibasso D-Zero MK II , FiiO Q1 or the e 17k for portable use. I wanted to get the O2 for the amazing SQ but it isn't pocketable even with cargo pants (and urgh, the weight).

I would get the C5D if I could but the price and availability is really bad here in Malaysia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back