FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Dec 27, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #346 of 903
My Samsung S2 9.7" works with my Q1 in all applications as long as I plug in the OTG cable first and have the Q1 turned on before I launch any music or video app.

I constantly listen to all my music through this tablet since it has a 128gb memory card.

Samsung S2 ---> OTG Cable -->Q1 or Schiit DAC-->Schiit Valhalla-->Headphones/IEM's.

Regards,

Claus

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #348 of 903
I wonder if there is any benefit to q1 out to e11k ? I already have an e11k but I'm also on the market for a dac

Anyone tried q1 with an addl amp?
Does the q1 out  disable volume control, bass boost, etc like a true line out?

tia

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #351 of 903
Thanks for your answers !

Will the Q1 work with a TV or a laptop ? :)

It will work with your laptop just fine as USB audio device. Don't know about TV, it'll probably function as an amplifier there unless you have a fancy android TV :blink: But may TVs have RCA line outputs that you can adapt to the line input of the Q1 for good quality.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 30, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #353 of 903
  I wonder if there is any benefit to q1 out to e11k ? I already have an e11k but I'm also on the market for a dac

Anyone tried q1 with an addl amp?
Does the q1 out  disable volume control, bass boost, etc like a true line out?

tia

OK, I just tried Q1/E11k combo and when using the aux port as a line out the amp,volume, gain bass all disabled. Kinda what I was expecting but FYI. That gives one a bit of headroom for more demanding headphones

Also doing my best to compare to e07k although my ears are not tuned and way too old and damaged to do a high tech evaluation. That said, the e07k is definitely warmer which isn't a bad thing on AKG K240s. The Q1 may be a tad to bright for my taste with these headphones but the AKGs are known to vary based on the source. This also gives the edge to Q1 for details. I will need to choose as I have already initiated return of e07k and I'm not keeping both.

The line out could be the deciding factor. Not possible with the e07K without the adapter which is bulky and prone to falling out and so-so quality from what I have read.

I'm sure it would be fine with high sensitivity iems as the low gain setting is quite low

also, works fine as dac with nexus 6 using usb otg cable

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #354 of 903
Hey guys was thinking would it be worth it to plug this into the computer via DAC than use the line in/ lineout to plug into the fiio e12 for a more powerful amp? Or is this introducing too much overhead? How would the sound quality be like with something like that?

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #355 of 903
Hey guys was thinking would it be worth it to plug this into the computer via DAC than use the line in/ lineout to plug into the fiio e12 for a more powerful amp? Or is this introducing too much overhead? How would the sound quality be like with something like that?

The e12 is more powerful than the Q1 so it seems pointless to me unless you just want to bypass your soundcard. I don't see you gaining much as far as sound goes unless the Q1 DAC sounds better than your soundcard. Plus it seems like overkill, but it never hurts to try.

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #356 of 903
The e12 is more powerful than the Q1 so it seems pointless to me unless you just want to bypass your soundcard. I don't see you gaining much as far as sound goes unless the Q1 DAC sounds better than your soundcard. Plus it seems like overkill, but it never hurts to try.

My soundcard is is onbaord which sounds good but tlthe q1 sounds ever so slightly better. The fiio e12 does not have a dac function...the other option is i buy a jds labs c5d or something like that which will do both or a desktop amp...i just like the idea of portability lol. From what ive read the jds labs c5d sounds just as good as the o2 amp and its portable. Than i would use the q1 strictly for at the gym becuase its super portable.

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #357 of 903
My soundcard is is onbaord which sounds good but tlthe q1 sounds ever so slightly better. The fiio e12 does not have a dac function...the other option is i buy a jds labs c5d or something like that which will do both or a desktop amp...i just like the idea of portability lol. From what ive read the jds labs c5d sounds just as good as the o2 amp and its portable. Than i would use the q1 strictly for at the gym becuase its super portable.

I never said it wouldn't work or not to do it. Depending on your headphones, the Q1 alone might work, but if they're hard to drive then you'd have no choice but to add the e12. Having a DAC/amp and another amp doesn't seem very portable to me, but you listed some other options that will work as well. Give it a try. Worse thing that could happen is you may not like it.

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #358 of 903

​I had a similar dilemma but I definitely needed the dac function of the q1 and I already owned the e11k. With my current headphones akg 240s, the q1 drives them just fine on its own. The e11k gives a bit more oomph. I just ordered some q701 and from what I have heard, the e11k will be a lot more useful with that setup. I may even need more power.

Agreed it depends on your headphones.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #359 of 903
​I had a similar dilemma but I definitely needed the dac function of the q1 and I already owned the e11k. With my current headphones akg 240s, the q1 drives them just fine on its own. The e11k gives a bit more oomph. I just ordered some q701 and from what I have heard, the e11k will be a lot more useful with that setup. I may even need more power.

Agreed it depends on your headphones.

Well im looking at the sennhesier 650s or 600s down the road... so i will need more power. Ive also thought about the jds labs c5d...if i wanted to spend the money that might be a better bet. I like fiio but they dont have any decent higher powered dac and amp combos that are portable. Inwant portability so i can listen to music in bed...trying to get in the habbit of music before bed instead of the tv b3fore bed.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #360 of 903
Well im looking at the sennhesier 650s or 600s down the road... so i will need more power. Ive also thought about the jds labs c5d...if i wanted to spend the money that might be a better bet. I like fiio but they dont have any decent higher powered dac and amp combos that are portable. Inwant portability so i can listen to music in bed...trying to get in the habbit of music before bed instead of the tv b3fore bed.

have you thought about the oppo ha-2? they sound great with the HD600's. i find that at the highest volume sometimes i want a bit more. but i like to listen loud. most people are pretty content with the HA-2 and 600's pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back