FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Dec 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #301 of 903
Eep! From the man himself! Thanks for the response! While the DAC on my iPod Classic 6G is all and good, I really only want to know what I should do to be able to utilize my Q1's DAC using my iPod as a source. So, that being said, I have a couple questions, if you don't mind me asking.

1.) Am I able to use my Q1's DAC using my current set up? (iPod connected to the Q1's line-in port via a line out dock cable)
2.) If not, how will I be able to do this? Use the Q1's DAC, I mean.
3.) And lastly, will using an apple CCK for my iPod to connect it to my Q1 via USB port work?

1) No. Line in is analog, so the signal will already have been converted from D to A.
2) Use CCK (with iPod) or use usb from another digital source like a laptop
3) Yes

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #302 of 903
^
Stuck between nk126's answer above and ClieOS's answer below, after initial research, I'm inclined to agree with ClieOS's version for now. As usual we make no guarantee that our DACs work with a particular portable device, but this case looks more iffy that most.
http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838
Research credit to JDS Labs, for now :wink:
"Note that iOS 7 is mandatory to use a DAC, meaning these adapters are suitable for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch running iOS 7. There’s currently no standard digital audio support for iPod Classic or iPod Nano, as they do not support iOS 7."
v

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 8, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #303 of 903
Note that CCK doesn't automatically mean it has digital-out - the ability for CCK to detect USB DAC comes with the introduction of iOS7, and only with devices that are capable of running iOS7. Given iPod (with the exception of iPod Touch) can not run iOS7, I have my doubt adding a CCK will make Q1 compatible to iPod 6G.

To have iPod outputting digital, the only way I know is have a USB DAC with the Apple MFi chip - which usually mean it will be much more expensive then Q1's price range.

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #304 of 903
Thanks, this gives me some good ideas; and some great things to listen for.  Good to hear about the Grados.  I may have to listen to some open-back headphones, such as the Grado's or HE400i, to better understand what I might be missing by going with a closed-back option.  

Interesting feedback!  I may have to redefine what I referred to as "bass", since that bass/kick drum, floor tom, and bass guitar are what I would like to keep accurately represented with the music I listen to.  I assumed that guitar would be described as "mids", and I can understand why this would be so important for rock music.  I'm looking forward to reading more about the SR80E, HE400i, and Mad Dogs (and the Mad Dog Pro??) - I feel that I MUST hear them now, so that I know what you are referring to.

Another Mad Dog recommendation - interesting!  That would be fantastic if you could test drive the Mag Dog Alphas with the Q1.  I don't find their specifications on the Mr Speakers website, so I wonder what impedance the Mad Dogs are.  Anyway, I appreciate your willingness to try them out for me.

Thanks everyone for the help, the education, and the recommendations.  Is this a great community, or what!

Personally I found the PSBs to be a little too warm and "boomy" for my tastes when listening to rock. The Q1 would enhance that warm feel just a tiny bit more, even. HP50 have a similar sound, from what I've read and heard.

PM-3 are really nice but lacking just a tiny bit in treble.

YMMV, of course.

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #307 of 903
Dec 9, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #309 of 903

Oh god please let this be true. When was this news out?

I read it somewhere on this forum I think. Maybe Fiios Joe Bloggs can confirm this for us.

Over to you Joe.

Basically, we know somebody (not us) who has a bunch of these cables that adapt Lightning ports directly to USB audio. They cutely called it the "L19" as if it were from our cable series, and even provide instructions on operating our DACs to connect with iDevices with this cable. We've even tested these cables and they work just swell with the iPhone and our DACs (and other companies' DACs). But apparently they're obliged to just let these cables sit in a warehouse for the indefinite future because of licensing issues :p

So yeah, it's called the L19 and it works. But good luck finding one to buy. :rolleyes:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 9, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #311 of 903
  please guys help me choice which is better between fiio Q1 and A3 (e11k)

The reason you're getting no help is because there is no "better".  Try giving us an idea of what your requirements are, then we might be able to help.

EG:
 - do you need a DAC as well as an amp?
 - is this just for portable amping?
 - what are your headphones?
 - what is your source?
 - what are your preferences?

If you are solely comparing as portable amps:
  1. Both have low output impedance (0.2-0.3 ohm)
  2. Both are similar on crosstalk, SNR and distortion measurements
  3. E11K is more powerful (270 mW into 32 ohm vs 190 mW)
  4. Q1 has more battery life (30 hrs vs 16 hours)
  5. Both have bass boost and gain switch
  6. Both are similar size - E11K is marginally smaller

Q1 also has the DAC function

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #312 of 903
Brooko you are right,
Mainly listening pop and commercial music, my source are Ipod Shuffle and Phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) and a few times the computer and I think in a short future also Fiio M3
I was looking for something portable, my headphones are V-Moda M80 and AKG 550...
said this Q1 or A3 (e11k) 
confused.gif

thank you

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #313 of 903
Neither headphone is hard to drive.  If you intend using the device also as a DAC for your laptop from time to time, get the Q1.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #314 of 903
Any updates on how the E10K stacks up against the Q1? I would mostly be using this at my work desk, but do periodically listen on the go.  Thinking I could just hook up a portable battery pack to the E10K. Just looking for comparisons in sound quality, and ease of connection to an iPhone 6. I'm pairing this with my Superlux 668 Evo, which sound pretty good straight out of the iphone as it is. Am I going to get a huge bump is quality from either option?

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #315 of 903
Any updates on how the E10K stacks up against the Q1? I would mostly be using this at my work desk, but do periodically listen on the go.  Thinking I could just hook up a portable battery pack to the E10K. Just looking for comparisons in sound quality, and ease of connection to an iPhone 6. I'm pairing this with my Superlux 668 Evo, which sound pretty good straight out of the iphone as it is. Am I going to get a huge bump is quality from either option?

You should go back and read the thread.

But no, you will got get a huge improvement. It'll be minor at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back