FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Oct 4, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #122 of 903
Not that I need a replacement yet but this looks like it could do the job of my E10 nicely. A few questions I would like to ask:

The line out/in. Will it work if I want to plug another amplifier into it such as my E11? (I don't think I will stop using it) It is so far my favourite amplifier from FiiO. I would also want to be able to connect it to my Hi-fi amplifier and speakers.

In the line out of my E10, I have a 3.5mm splitter. One cable going to my amplifier and speakers, the other, I often use with my E11. For some strange reason if I plug that same cable into the line out of my X3, I can then use the E10 as an amplifier for my headphones listening to the music from my X3. So long as my PC is turned on.

It would be great if the Q1 did this too. I don't quite know how the line out my E10 can be an input and an output at the same time.

If I got the Q1, I would mainly use it with my PC as I am used to my E10. Is this where the charging/no charging feature will be useful?

It looks like it will pair really well with my original X3. The input at the bottom is useful as the line out is on the bottom of my X3 too. This will mean that I wouldn't have to have my player upside down to have the volume dial at the top of my pocket. This is one thing I am please with about the X3. It looks like none of FiiO's other DAPs have the line out at the bottom.

It looks a bit like this is an E11 and E10 combined into one but with much better battery life than that E11.

As I said, I don't actually need it. I am just interested. It looks so nice!
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #123 of 903
@twister6 : Hmm, reading again your review, i see you compared the amp section of the Q1 to that of the x3ii, stating that it's a bit cleare. But i was wondering, what about the DAC section? have you done any comparison in that regard?

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #124 of 903
@twister6
 : Hmm, reading again your review, i see you compared the amp section of the Q1 to that of the x3ii, stating that it's a bit cleare. But i was wondering, what about the DAC section? have you done any comparison in that regard?

Q1 doesn't have LO in order to do that. my bad, working on too many reviews, can't keep everything straight lol!

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #125 of 903
Wait, i'm pretty sure the line in port (the one near the gain switch) doubles as a line out port.

Yep, unless i'm misinterpreting what's written in the image (second half), i seem to stand correct:

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #126 of 903
So who has these in stock?  B & H says coming soon.  Two US sellers on Amazon say they have them but the
expected delivery time is suspiciously long.  Anyone in NYC have these in stock?    

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #127 of 903
  So who has these in stock?  B & H says coming soon.  Two US sellers on Amazon say they have them but the
expected delivery time is suspiciously long.  Anyone in NYC have these in stock?    

I just ordered from Amazon and its supposed to be here on tuesday... Ill let you know who I bought from and such when I get mine

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #128 of 903
  @twister6 : Hmm, reading again your review, i see you compared the amp section of the Q1 to that of the x3ii, stating that it's a bit cleare. But i was wondering, what about the DAC section? have you done any comparison in that regard?

Ok, just did a quick comparison with X3ii (LO) + E12A vs Note 4 (digital/usb) + Q1 (LO) + E12A using my MSR7.  E12A is relatively neutral and MSR7 is bright/detailed to pick up nuances.

The difference is not exactly night'n'day, but I do hear with X3ii/E1A a sound to be a little more transparent, slightly better layering and separation, and a touch more sparkle/airiness in treble.

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #129 of 903
  I just ordered from Amazon and its supposed to be here on tuesday... Ill let you know who I bought from and such when I get mine

Thanks.  I was mistaken, it was on Ebay where they had the long delivery times.  But the sellers on ebay have  free delivery.  On Amazon Fiio is selling them but no free delivery.  If only I had Amazon Prime :frowning2:

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #130 of 903

Ok, just did a quick comparison with X3ii (LO) + E12A vs Note 4 (digital/usb) + Q1 (LO) + E12A using my MSR7.  E12A is relatively neutral and MSR7 is bright/detailed to pick up nuances.

The difference is not exactly night'n'day, but I do hear with X3ii/E1A a sound to be a little more transparent, slightly better layering and separation, and a touch more sparkle/airiness in treble.

Thanks!

So, using the x3ii as the dac and the q1 as the amp would be a quite trasnparent combo, uh?
Gah, can't wait to get them both!

Oct 4, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #131 of 903
  Thanks.  I was mistaken, it was on Ebay where they had the long delivery times.  But the sellers on ebay have  free delivery.  On Amazon Fiio is selling them but no free delivery.  If only I had Amazon Prime :frowning2:

Amazon offers free shipping on orders of $35 or more (Q1 qualifies) without a prime membership.  I also have one order from Amazon and it's supposed to be here Thursday.  To my knowledge, FiiO isn't selling anything on Amazon because mine was being sold by HIFI Audio Electronics and fulfillment by Amazon and I have yet to see FiiO sell anything directly on Amazon US.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #133 of 903
Amazon offers free shipping on orders of $35 or more (Q1 qualifies) without a prime membership.  I also have one order from Amazon and it's supposed to be here Thursday.  To my knowledge, FiiO isn't selling anything on Amazon because mine was being sold by HIFI Audio Electronics and fulfillment by Amazon and I have yet to see FiiO sell anything directly on Amazon US.

Yep, you're right. I really need to read things more thoroughly LOL. Ordered one and got the free shipping. And it's from HiFi Audio Tronics fulfilled by Amazon. I'll give my impressions after it arrives.

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #134 of 903
Yep, you're right. I really need to read things more thoroughly LOL. Ordered one and got the free shipping. And it's from HiFi Audio Tronics fulfilled by Amazon. I'll give my impressions after it arrives.

Not before I do! same seller as me, should have paid for one day shipping! GAH, can't wait to fire up my x1 stack now!

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #135 of 903
A couple of recent posts prompted me to test the Q1 as a DAC/Amp from my PC and compare it to my E7/E9 combo.

The Q1 does a very good job but it falls short of 7/9 combo. This produced a wider a wider soundstage, a more defined deep bass and didn't have the slight 'harshness' of the Q1. This is not surprising as the E7/E9 costs almost three times the price and I didn't buy the Q1 to pair with my PC anyway.

My test track was Mary Black's "Bright Blue Rose". If I didn't have the E7/E9 I would be very happy to use the Q1 and I can see it partnering any laptop that my work asks me to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back