FiiO's Crown Jewel of Portable Music Player M11 Plus LTD Is Officially Released!
Oct 28, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #136 of 211
Best bluetooth buds (that has to be a super personal opinion that you will need to sift through, but working with your qualifier ‘codec support’:wink:
Sennheiser IE80BT were a flagship bud (now replaced by much higher priced units), based on the IE80s and can be turned into a cabled bud with an offical cable add on.
They are a neckband design, with an ‘audio first’ design; eg they don’t focus on spec sheet warring (like battery life) and use their neckband space to have large battery capacity and a short runtime (obviously the amps are designed to give sound quality and not runtime quantity).
The IEMs support HWA and APT X HD and LL, and are known for having an expansive soundfield as IEMs go. (the soundfield and APT X LL makes them a great part to consider using with gaming consoles - perhaps using a FiiO BTA30 to get access to APT X LL transmission and DAC connection from a Playstation 4/5 etc)

I have tested and used this config.
Doesn’t hold a candle to a set of AKG612 open backs running off an iFi Diablo,.. but given they are on clearance price point from Sennheiser direct.. (or ‘Addicted to Audio’ if in the southern hemisphere), the price AND the features/sound quality makes them a real contender for bargain/no brainer/ ‘must buy’ status.

I bought two.
Even in APT X mode (Samsung phones are bastardised to not give Apt X HD or HWA support) they sound amazing, and even for critical listening they deliver a ‘true audiofool’ performance.
My reason for looking at a DAP with bluetooth is due to these buds.
I certainly wouldn’t run bluetooth buds that are not a neck band design. (I have a health background and would LOVE to highlight the couple of hundred doctors approaching the World Health Organisation to try and have regulation / policy in place to protect consumers(/humans), but it isn’t a part of your question, so I won’t rant on about it.. just as a compassionate soul, I’d not be doing you service to ignore the fact that as bluetooth pushes higher bandwidths/more range and ear buds are right into the canal with no bone to reflect RF, especially on children without a fully developed blood brain barrier- humans should do what they can to avoid this stuff. We can argue about non ionising radiation etc, but the reality is in a 5G network field, our bodies‘ no longer hit deep sleep (cellular) state (excitations that were 3 times a day are now thousands of times per... .(fades out and goes drinks a whiskey)..

Anyhow- neckbands for the win, especially if added benefits equal more power/proper amps and better reception (bigger aerial circuit etc). Best thing about neckbands is when taking buds out of ears, they can ‘just hang’.
The IE80BT actually can hook together and I never worry about them. Worst case- if the cables break- fully replaceable.. and ability to turn them into high end ear buds (that will use dual DACs and proper amps in the DAP).

For there present price on clearance I cannot imagine ANYTHING could touch these buds- built with an audio first/flagship ideal.
Well regarded and excellent for music AND gaming/movies etc...
Thanks for the expensive and extensive response. I appreciate it :)

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #137 of 211
Thanks for the expensive and extensive response. I appreciate it :)
Expensive? I reckon those ie80s bt (for 75% off) are a bargain.

Did you check Addicted to Audio (australia)?
Our local (Australia) Sennheiser portal also has them at that price point....

@75% off they are ‘too cheap’ for the level of sound and quality that they give...

Reading your post suggests you couldn’t find the present price..(?)

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #138 of 211

@75% off they are ‘too cheap’ for the level of sound and quality that they give...

😆 I meant expansive not expensive. Autocorrect gets me every time.
They are indeed on sale for just over $200 CND but they will not ship to Canada 🤦🏻‍♂️
I ended up buying something very similar about 6 weeks ago. I have the Shanling MW200 wireless. This one Support all the codecs including the new Sony one.

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #139 of 211

Found an open box on eBay! Can I buy an adapter so that I can turn them into an MMCX connection so I can also use them with other IEMs This seems like a very weird proprietary connection. Then I’m not sure what part I would need to order from AliExpress in order to make it work with the other a.m. ZioThis seems like a very weird proprietary connection. Then I’m not sure what part I would need to order from AliExpress in order to make it work with the other IEMs I already own.

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #140 of 211
WOWSERS; M11 Plus is a killer transport (over USB) and the detail retrieval is insanely good... certainly those dedicated clock chips and ‘sound first’ design philosophy has paid off.

Last night I listened to a tonne of genres to sample relative strengths of the M11+ as a source/DAC into my preamp=>home hifi..... (speakers)

(early) observations: first thing I noticed was what felt like a reduced width sound field, but as I have come to learn- when the depth is perceived as beyond ‘good’, sometimes that perceived depth reduction is in large part to the soundstage having shifted further away.... I did expect this to ‘widen‘ over time... so, ignoring this for now, I focused on note quality and quantity...

The second immediate thing I had picked up (in the first ten seconds, moments after noticing the ‘reduced’ soundfield width) was the bass delivery power and low bite..
In fairness I use a 2700 watt Sunfire Subwoofer (Carver designed amp unit), and it can easily deliver bass. But I am not a bass head and have never tuned subs to be heard (rather, ‘felt’) and always to seamlessly blend with front main speakers...
The Sunfire is set to the lowest possible point on the volume dial (just about), and has seldom presented itself as being present in the room.
The ‘straight from M11+ sound gave bass notes that were visceral.

I had mixed feelings about this..
Many consumer-fi devices are tuned to emphasise bass notes as most people seem to notice bass note delivery and associate with the respective quality of the system...
(Many systems are judged by their bass notes by a tonne of stereophiles)..

There was another possibility- having owned a few ‘world class transports’ (eg a highly modified Denon DCD-S10, and a TEAC P700 and ‘others’), improved digital stream quality can easily improve bass notes.
- an example, gold CDs, with their improved reflectivity, are easier to read and generally pass their 0s and 1s more accurately, the end result being less ‘error interpretation‘ and ‘guesswork’, will deliver much better bass. The ‘long frequency’ bass notes often suffering poorly from scratched CDs- will sound ‘trebly’ or “bass reduced”; I have learned that any digital transport that does a superb job will push better bass..
So to test if the M11+ ability to stream ‘better’ 0s and 1s was what I was experiencing, I fed the M11+ (as a transport) via USB into an outboard DAC. This should be in async USB mode and have the final sound output quality dependant on the final clock chip as found in the iFi Diablo...
:result= the bass delivery was massively improved (vs all android phones and cheaper tiered DAPs I have played with).
Of course I instantly got back sound stage width... but what else is being passed by the exceptional M11+ DAP?

well,.. ‘everything’. Everything is better.

Last night I enjoyed a whole range of music that I normally don’t bother with, as modern ‘consumer fi’ kit just renders it so yawn inducingly ‘average’.
V.A.S.T. (Visual Auditory Sensory Theatre) (first album) through to Tool (Aenima) sounded properly meaty.
Had me mucking with some Yello and some (80s) Pet Shop Boys - these albums were rendering properly and sounded musical and engaging like THEY SHOULD (, and SELDOM do!)
The microdetail retrieval was incredible.. Tori Amos doing Springtime of his Voodoo and Doughnut Song were exemplary so I lingered for yonks doing all sorts of ‘b-sides’ like ‘Smells like teen spirit’, and lots of superfamiliar tracks... the vocal clarity and ability to chorus (With herself) and hear cleary E V E R Y inflection, was just so addictive and engaging and ultimately truly desirable. (Time flew past and the music hasn’t sounded so good, to me, for such a long time).

The M11+ was lifting so much extra detail that the iFi Diablo, a part I am familiar with the sound output from, felt like it needed the bass trimmed, if it was to sound like it previously did.
-but better than bass, which I personally don’t care much for, was the extra detail found with every instrument and voice and the cohesive staging and delivery...
backing lyrics that were previously obscured or hard to hear, were clear; still recessed in the sound stage (like they should be) but ‘clear’ with every syllable announ-ci-ate-ed (“annouced” for ‘translate users’), and the correct air in place to give them the sense of recession and ‘story’ that they are due.

What is amazing is that the Diablo is a great little DAC/amp that is ‘playing different’ having simply changed the source. I have been using it in USB input mode a lot for the last couple of months and was aware that USB didn’t have the quality that the TOSLINK input did...
I could close the gap by finding as pure a transport as I could muster, and alter the software settings to reduce electrical noise whereever possible, and that got me 10-20% closer to the TOSLINK fed input. Changing the USB cable and inserting an iFi USB purifier did the most significant jump and netted a lot of air, and fixed transients, but was arguably subtle (certainly worth doing), the USB cable improvement added air and gave better soundfield, the purifier fixed the speed and attack of instruments noticably,...
And whilst many will argue that cables don’t matter blindly assuming that science is on their side when we are talking about zeros and ones (I’d easily argue for a USB cable upgrade to a ‘better’ entry level cable is a way better investment that ANY other cable upgrade), the obvious proof that transport quality alters delivery of zeros and ones SO substantially is undeniable.

The M11+ is simply a much better transport.
Whether that is due to independent clocks or dedicated power delivery to independant (and isolated zones) or PCB layering and quality, or FiiO tinkering with Android with ‘dedication’ to music delivery’; the end result is quantifiably improved sound.

Having tested many of these facets independently (ie bypassing Android mixer with specific software/tweaking Android/rotating a handful of parts in place to do the job etc) my hopes were on the M11+, as a USB transport, wouldn’t required exotic cables or filters or software voodoo, or special consideration to hardware placement etc.
On all fronts regarding sound quality, it is a massive step up over every other USB transport that I have tested.

I would take the M11+ over my Questyle QP1R as a dedicated transport. It didn’t take a day to figure this out, and the M11+ has barely warmed up yet...

Footnotes:
Music trialed;
Blues Brothers 2000 (soundtrack)- John Goodmans voice sounded the most ‘Goodman-y’ it has ever sounded (its a good thing)..
The Tea Party - Allambra - most ‘twangy’ I’ve heard the instruments, the air and spacing is ‘divine’.
Nine Inch Nails - Into the Void - Wowsers, not sure how to describe the wide range of improvements (to be fair this is a test track I have been using for two decades)
Supertramp - love a big band and love instruments battling it out. Fortunately truly dynamic recordings (softer volume on first listen, typically wanting to ‘be turned up’) were appropriately dynamic and sounded appropriately ‘soft’ (lower volume). (Yay!) Band placement was so good you could hear musicians ‘turn in place’ and the microphones picked this up and translate appropriately..
US3- Cantaloop Flip - Blue note records are label I generally don’t bother spinning on ‘cheap‘ consumer fi. M11+ ISN’T CHEAP CONSUMER-Fi
Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club - intonation of words with proper ‘rustic’ edge
Ani Di Franco - as above. breathwork is an accolade unto itself.
Reef- Rock sounds right. (another genre I simply skip on any ‘non dedicated two channel setup’) (Led to VAST and TOOL and others being spun; all were simply the best delivery, much more detail being lifted.)
Radiohead - tonality of voice work, again, ‘exceptional’ (hence ‘very engaging’)
Orbital - Wikkid, I don’t normally bother with electronica on the home hifi (ie prefer some closed back headphones that emphasise bass note placement and ‘low rumble’ factor), this playback sounded like ‘nightclub‘ level of engagement. (volume being normal level, this wasn’t ‘the norm’)
Moloko- more of the same, but loving the recording quality. So much microdynamics that make the entire playback seem more dynamic. These recordings had often sounded ‘ho hum’ to me, as they are some typically exceptionally engineered stuff. The M11+ restored this music to what I knew it SHOULD BE!!
Mumford And Sons -track ‘Dust Bowl Dance’; reason enough to buy the unit. Makes all previous renditions feel like a low bitrate MP3 or a ‘made for radio’ version. Goosebumps, and “ ‘nuff said”.

(conclusion = so much detail, all musical, not fatiguing, just ‘everything I love about the music’, and MORE OF IT)
=> I wasn’t in ’all to DSD mode’ or doing anything to these files. Just trialling a player (DAP) that was more accurately transferring, honestly (without correction), the zeros and ones stored in the source files.

edit: How could I forget? -Florence and the Machine: The Harp string quality was so vastly superior (to most sub $1000 DACs and all ‘average Digital Audio Transports’ (ie every phone and most entry level DAPs) that I’d take the M11+ as a ‘one box to rule them all’ affair, and go without external amping or DAC’ing.. It appears getting the transport RIGHT is THAT IMPORTANT to the music delivery
edit2: Forgot to mention I went to bed using the M11+ as a transport into an entirely different DAC/amp combo, and listened for hours to familiar music, and couldn’t help but note all the improvements to imaging. staging, microdynamics, and tonality of so many aspects of the music. Listened to many genres, nearly everything was noticably ‘a big step up’; again, just the transport had changed from ‘mid range DAPs’ (which arguably the M11 is) and the most expensive phones (eg Samsung Note Ultra(s) and Galaxy Fold) and the improvement to audio/musical quality was so very noticable.
The M11+ gets the task of interpreting the digital file right. I would argue that most USB ‘sources’ do not. Passing zeros and ones and passing ACCURATE zeros and ones are totally different end goals. Equipment is designed to do one of these two outcomes. Majority of consumer-fi is happy with the former. High end kit, generally seeks out the later.
Magically the M11+ is the cheapest part that I have found that does this duty correctly. It seriously flogs an entry level CD transport and the “luray player is ‘good enough’ crowd“ really don’t know what they are missing. A real CD transport will improve audio quality (vs a multipurpose bluray player) vs a product designed to simply make a signal... The M11+ is a stellar example of what FiiO are doing to keep a market share in a crowded space, by showing that they truly can deliver special kit that punches well above the price to performance ratio that is the norm.
I’d review the part as a five star piece of kit simply for transport capability alone (at this price point). Nice one FiiO!!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #141 of 211
I purchased the M11 Plus LTD to replace my HiBy R6 Pro. The HiBy R6 Pro has several major issues that revealed themselves well after the refund period. So I was stuck with it.

Oct 29, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #142 of 211
I purchased the M11 Plus LTD to replace my HiBy R6 Pro. The HiBy R6 Pro has several major issues that revealed themselves well after the refund period. So I was stuck with it.
This is becoming the norm of the ‘modern world’.

I couldn’t count (on two hands at least) the number of times I have had a firmware update add ‘features’ (generally unlisted/unknown) all whilst removing a feature I bought the product for.

Its like the magicians‘ trick of ’look here’, whilst they sleight of hand away something from us... (left hand giveth, right hand taketh away..).

Sometimes its small stuff, like when a game like the PC version of Forza Horizon (3) is sold as ‘offline capable’, but then gets updated to be ‘online only’ (a year later).
In that instance I felt genuinely ripped off as ‘the Crew’ was my online racer, Forza was bought for offline racing (for me at least..).
That change was significant, but then they changed the Australian themed graphics to British themed graphics (like the post boxes went from being ‘Australia post’ to Brittish...
Some things might be done in error, but, generally once the support cycle ends, what options do we have.
In the case of Forza, they stated that the ‘online only’ was an ACCIDENT, but ’since it is the last update we are doing, “we won’t fix our mistake”(!)’. Thankyou Microsoft! (sarcasm)

Of course it was a later update that removed the Australian themed graphics from my Australian regioned game.
It was certainly NOT the product I bought.

Less insidious would be Samsung removing Apt X HD codec from phones that sold with it..
Technically getting an update after life of product has been had is a good thing, so I won’t complain, but the issue here likes with security updates nowadays only being given with operating system updates (a model that Apple moved to to the detriment of hardware users globally).
iOS 10 ran way faster than any variants since on my 12.9” iPad Pro (first gen). Some features have been crippled or made a ‘few extra clicks’ to get stuff done.
Sure, sometimes we DO GET improvements.. but the reality is, when security updates only come with the OS updates, we are forced into a cycle that will likely prove anti-consumer if the big companies can get away with it...

Having been updating stuff for decades now, I gather more often that not I have been given clear improvements with nil detriment...
;but, it still burns a little when things are discovered ‘after the fact’.

Like buying a collectors edition of Cyberpunk for PS4 waiting the eventual PS5 upgrade.. Still haven’t played the game. Still haven’t opened my ‘big box’.
Whether the PS5 of the game will land by March next year is an unknown. Hopefully it will before mid year.

At which point I might be annoyed to find out advertised/promised/or ‘suggested’ features may/‘may not’ be apart of the package.
Of course my local games retailer ain’t gonna refund me on a years old piece of software at that point...

ON TOPIC of the M11+;
the first night of testing I trialled a few of my ‘ideals’ for the device (bought to be a ’jack of all trades’ & ’master of some’ tool)..
The notion of using bluetooth receive for gaming (or movies) was instantly killed when the latency involved (over a second!) made it impractical for me to use the feature in this specific use case (wouldn’t affect music listening in the slightest)..
Whilst I seldom buy from big ticket shops with a generous return policy (although I advocate to many consumers to do exactly that when ‘unsure if a product will serve them/suit ‘their needs’ ‘, it must be harrowing to put big money down on a purchase only to find that it wasn’t what we thought it was, and ‘now that we have DRIVEN IT- we MUST KEEP IT.

In the case of the M11+ I have found a few niggles that if I had known that was the way it did things I’d be less interested in a particular feature..
But then of course we have (software) ‘updates’ that can easily remove a feature (or compromise its’ usability) down the track...
I couldn’t believe I had to register my google account on the device in order to wirelessly drop a file to it (Earlier Androids had no such requirement!!)

There once was an adage that consumers had the power of choice due to our ability to vote with our wallets...
Present day is corporations have ‘all the power’ and governments are the ‘consumer’ trying to please the big entities that can shape world markets... People? we are just the worker bee’s that pay the tax to keep the governments in action to be the consumers of the companies that we used to believe we had the power over...

grins =>

Oct 30, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #147 of 211
I have the Hiby R6 2020 and the FiiO M11 + SS and the R6 2020 is a better sounding player in my opinion.
While I like the sound from HiBy, I have a massive problem with the QC of their DAPs. The Fiio M11 Plus LTD is a noticeable upgrade over the R6 Pro in every single category.

Oct 31, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #149 of 211
The M11 Plus LTD has one notable flaw. It needs a proper battery charging indicator. To be more specific, a percentage indicator on the screen, while it's off.
Dear friend,

Thanks for the feedback. We will report to the engineer for assessing about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back