FiiO X7 preview world tour--tour impressions rolling in
Nov 11, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #511 of 732
Agree with your first post bowei006. So much potential, but the GUI feels beta still. It really exhibits a lot of the constraints found in ordinary DAPs, not taking full advantage of the Android platform.

I let an everyday user try it today. He's tech savvy but was confused by several choices made in the current GUI. I'll outline these in my upcoming review. Luckily, these can be easily fixed if FiiO puts some dev team manpower behind it. If not, users will adapt but (IMHO) not be fully satisfied with the user experience.

Nov 11, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #512 of 732
Agree with your first post @bowei006. So much potential, but the GUI feels beta still. It really exhibits a lot of the constraints found in ordinary DAPs, not taking full advantage of the Android platform.

I let an everyday user try it today. He's tech savvy but was confused by several choices made in the current GUI. I'll outline these in my upcoming review. Luckily, these can be easily fixed if FiiO puts some dev team manpower behind it. If not, users will adapt but (IMHO) not be fully satisfied with the user experience.

Yep. Computer Engineering here so GUI, and all that is very important for me.

The increase in difficulty from what they had on their previous units is without a doubt amplified with the X7. But I'm sure we'll see updates from FiiO on this.

The current usability of the X7 is mediocre. I'm not getting to enjoy it because of how much time I spent trying to get it to work like X. I have faith in FiiO though.

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #513 of 732
Jeepers Bowei

I think you're being overly picky.  I'm not used to Android, and was up and running with no issues in minutes.  Had one crash the whole time I was using it (super stable).  And I was able to install HibyMusic, Spotify, Tidal and Neutron Player without too much difficulty.  

Yes - they could make things easier - especially artist sorting etc
Yes - some of the functionality is missing (DAC, proper play list handling etc)

But name me one other player in this price bracket, with similar specs and features, and a better UI?  AK costs a small fortune.  L5 Pro is light years behind.

Credit where credit is due guys.  This UI is actually pretty good.  Improvements needed - yes.  But lets not try and give the impression that this is a bad UI.

Your comments don't gel at all with my experience.  Increase in difficulty from other units?  Really?  Current usability mediocre?  Really?

The increase in difficulty from what they had on their previous units is without a doubt amplified with the X7. But I'm sure we'll see updates from FiiO on this.  
The current usability of the X7 is mediocre. I'm not getting to enjoy it because of how much time I spent trying to get it to work like X.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #514 of 732
I can't even imagine how it's possible to have an android device be more difficult than the previous Fiio devices. Granted, I've never even touched the X7, but it would be pretty difficult to screw it up that much.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #515 of 732
  Yep. Computer Engineering here so GUI, and all that is very important for me.

The current usability of the X7 is mediocre. I'm not getting to enjoy it because of how much time I spent trying to get it to work like X. I have faith in FiiO though.

Hmm I must be easy to please then. Not sure where people are running into difficulties, X7 is playing my music fine via a plethora of apps including spotify. The usability of X7 is far from mediocre imo. This is my first android device ever, and I had no issues running the X7 from the moment I unboxed them. Very intuitive for me. ymmv ofc

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #516 of 732
I can't even imagine how it's possible to have an android device be more difficult than the previous Fiio devices. Granted, I've never even touched the X7, but it would be pretty difficult to screw it up that much.

Its not more difficult than the previous devices, some people are hard to please or just want to be contrarian or be the anti hype etc

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #517 of 732
Long-winded response to the UI discussion...
Yes, other apps can solve a lot of issues, but then you don't get to take advantage of Pure Music mode which has significant battery life benefits.

I'm sorry if I'm contrarian, but when I click on an Artist I darn well expect to see a list of Albums in either alphabetical or release order. Instead, by default FiiO's stock music app gives me a list of all the Artist's songs in a completely randomized order. And when I finally do navigate Artist -> Album, I expect to be able to click on the Album and get a list of that Album's songs. Nope, not happening. My X3 and X5 behave as expected in these areas. So do my other DAPs. They conform to a reasonable person's expectations for a music player's interface, whereas the X7's stock music app does not. It's really that simple. That does make it more confusing and by extension more difficult.

There are other UI issues in the stock music app, as well. I honestly feel that people are too forgiving of these user interface faux pas. Luckily these can be easily fixed. However I've seen three firmware releases so far, and not a single one of these issues has been addressed. That does give me a little cause for concern. I'm hoping FiiO rises to the occasion and fixes these quickly so the X7's Pure Music mode lives up to its potential.

Searching was mentioned as a potential way to get around some of the stock music app's UI wonkiness. But yet again, Search does not conform to a reasonable person's expectations. For instance, when I search for an Artist, I get a single entry for that artist. All I can do in the search interface is click on the Artist to play all of the artist's songs. A reasonable expectation is that the search interface would give me the Artist and a list of their Albums, so I can choose which Album I'd like to listen to.

Of course, the stock music app is just one piece of the X7, which does have many great features and a lot of potential. However, the Pure Music mode relies solely on it, so it is a centerpiece feature and does need attention IMHO.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #518 of 732
I agree 100%. I think FiiO is trying to be too many things for too many people and there's a downside to that with the interface.

only Apple has the ability to provide limited option cause they think what they provide is the best.  but we believe we should give more options for customers. that is what we do in the past and future. remember there are only one Apple and they are the one.

BTW, I don't like the iPhone cause it is not suitable to me. not many limited. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 12, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #519 of 732

See my long-winded response above for a couple examples of where FiiO did indeed make certain features more difficult than in other DAPs I've used.

And again, pointing out these sub-par UI choices shouldn't be criticized. The point is to make the X7 better by calling out areas for improvement and explaining why the improvement is needed. People can certainly disagree, but please don't misinterpret what I'm doing. I spent a lot of time submitting bug fix and feature request tickets when FiiO was just starting out with their X3 and X5 DAPs. Those of us who engaged in these activities made FiiO's DAPs more reliable and feature-rich just like we will with the X7.
:beerchug:

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #520 of 732
only Apple has the ability to provide limited option cause they think what they provide is the best.  but we believe we should give more options for customers. that is what we do in the past and future. remember there are only one Apple and they are the one.

BTW, I don't like the iPhone cause it is not suitable to me. not many limited. 

I'm not comparing FiiO to Apple at all James. You know me. I would prefer FiiO smooth's out the little bugs in the Pure Music app is all. Personally Id rather see the player with a few whitelisted apps and the Pure Music app made by FiiO, but I realise I'm in the minority here. If you get the initial things working perfect then you can move on to opening up the interface to more users and that way its an even more pleasant experience from the beginning.

Edit: I should clarify I enjoyed using the X7 immensely, but being able to use DLNA for example would have been good.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #521 of 732
User Interfaces and Software is essentially my job. I am hard to please in this field and I am being overly critical on purpose. This isn't an impression or review but just something to note and that FiiO can maybe take a look see at.

In my review, I'll of course weigh the sides and bring up factors of how it performs with a common basing around current units and FiiO's past work. But until then, my critical thoughts are just that, thoughts of 'hmm, well this could be X, Y, Z'. 

Enjoy.

But yes, I do like the X7 quite a bit as a tech geek. But probing, breaking, and figuring out stuff is what I do.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #522 of 732
Hope with firmware update it can support large SD card like 256 GB or even 512 GB. Dish Network used to only support external hard drive at 750 GB and later could support 2 TB. Not sure if the FiiO X7 can do this type of update.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #523 of 732
Hope with firmware update it can support large SD card like 256 GB or even 512 GB. Dish Network used to only support external hard drive at 750 GB and later could support 2 TB. Not sure if the FiiO X7 can do this type of update.

FiiO's kept up with the increasing capacity mSD cards with their other DAPs, so I think it's pretty safe to assume they'll do the same with the X7.
:beerchug:

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #524 of 732
Well, it's my last day with the X7.

It's been fun. The DAC chip is incredible, and I really enjoyed the stock Fiio music app.

There are some tweaks that could have been done to the music app and I'll note that in the review.

I might be beating a dead horse, but at its asking price I would have hoped for one more gig of ram, Google play services and Android market. Still, at the end of the day I guess APK files will work for some applications.

But truth be told, if the stock app and sound quality are priorities #1 and #2, and Android apps and streaming services take a back seat priority after the previously mentioned, the X7 is a winner.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #525 of 732
  User Interfaces and Software is essentially my job. I am hard to please in this field and I am being overly critical on purpose. This isn't an impression or review but just something to note and that FiiO can maybe take a look see at.

In my review, I'll of course weigh the sides and bring up factors of how it performs with a common basing around current units and FiiO's past work. But until then, my critical thoughts are just that, thoughts of 'hmm, well this could be X, Y, Z'. 

Enjoy.

But yes, I do like the X7 quite a bit as a tech geek. But probing, breaking, and figuring out stuff is what I do.

I understand where you are coming from, I can be picky and demanding on usability and UI, this takes a bigger role on the X7 since the touch screen and the state of touch UI's nowdays.

I don't think asking for a great player user interface is NOT asking too much since this is .... a music player.

I have to say I would like to see the X7 in a few months from now, so much potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back