FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Dec 4, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #5,971 of 6,207
Wow, I already received the AM3D from Aliexpress official store, 2 days shipping from Hongkong to the Netherlands using DHL.

Easy to exchange the modules (obviously), I've been listening to a couple of 24/192 LP rips and DSD128 I've heard numerous times using the stock AM3A module so I know how they sound pretty well.
And damn, it's like I have a new device! This AM3D is most definitely a step up and worth getting. The order included a transparant case with a bigger hole for the 4.4mm port, a very nice gesture and afaik not mentioned on Aliexpress.

While still waiting for my new 4.4mm cables, I'm using the FiiO BL44 adapter which does the job just fine (all my cables are currently 2.5).

I almost hesitated to get the new Q5s with included AM3D, but glad I only ordered only the AM3D and saved some cash :)

Thanks to FiiO for making such great gear :)

Edit: BTW, for the ones interested in a new X7II, I just noticed Aliexpress has a big pricedrop on it and only a few left :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #5,972 of 6,207
Wow, I already received the AM3D from Aliexpress official store, 2 days shipping from Hongkong to the Netherlands using DHL.

Easy to exchange the modules (obviously), I've been listening to a couple of 24/192 LP rips and DSD128 I've heard numerous times using the stock AM3A module so I know how they sound pretty well.
And damn, it's like I have a new device! This AM3D is most definitely a step up and worth getting. The order included a transparant case with a bigger hole for the 4.4mm port, a very nice gesture and afaik not mentioned on Aliexpress.

While still waiting for my new 4.4mm cables, I'm using the FiiO BL44 adapter which does the job just fine (all my cables are currently 2.5).

I almost hesitated to get the new Q5s with included AM3D, but glad I only ordered only the AM3D and saved some cash :)

Edit: BTW, for the ones interested in a new X7II, I just noticed Aliexpress has a big pricedrop on it and only a few left :wink:

Interesting, bought the am3d some time ago from the Ali official store and they didn’t sent me the transparent cover.

BTW Q5S do have the AM3E module with all three connectors (3.5mm 2.5mm bal and 4.4mm bal) and it is not THX AAA.
It has the AK DAC and not the ESS ones.
It is a different beast and I am tempted to buy it since all the X7ii modules fit on him and viceversa.

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #5,973 of 6,207
Interesting, bought the am3d some time ago from the Ali official store and they didn’t sent me the transparent cover.

BTW Q5S do have the AM3E module with all three connectors (3.5mm 2.5mm bal and 4.4mm bal) and it is not THX AAA.
It has the AK DAC and not the ESS ones.
It is a different beast and I am tempted to buy it since all the X7ii modules fit on him and viceversa.

The Q5s is since a week or so also available with the AM3D, for a bit higher price:

€ 384,67 | FiiO Q5s(THX-AAA AM3D) Bluetooth 5.0 AK4493EQ DSD-Capable DAC&Amplifier,USB DAC Amplifier Q5s for iPhone/computer/Android/Sony
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/NLiQ6xXXd

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #5,974 of 6,207
The Q5s is since a week or so also available with the AM3D, for a bit higher price:

€ 384,67 | FiiO Q5s(THX-AAA AM3D) Bluetooth 5.0 AK4493EQ DSD-Capable DAC&Amplifier,USB DAC Amplifier Q5s for iPhone/computer/Android/Sony
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/NLiQ6xXXd

Ah good to know, i think it’s a good deal to save some money on am3d if you want to go thx

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #5,978 of 6,207

I had the same experience, including the BL44 :grin:

It really is like getting a new device, audio-wise anyway. I wish I got a new case with it as well, it has yellowed a lot, but the hole in mine is large enough already. I've had mine quite a while now (bought it in the Netherlands) and am still enjoying it a lot.

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #5,979 of 6,207
Hmmmm, My X7II got some extra love, the new AM3D, one of my just arrived 4.4mm cables and the BGVP DM6. A nearly perfect combination, I almost forgot how nice the DM6 sounds.
My DM7 is waiting for an original 4.4mm cable from BGVP :)

XhI9ODO.jpg

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #5,981 of 6,207
The new FiiO music is good and they went back to the old EQ which is actually very good now.
I am using AM5 again after a while and with the new FiiO music player I am loving the sound.
I am not going to sell the player.

I agree, last version sounds very good. For me X7II is a keeper.

Dec 28, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #5,982 of 6,207
Hi Fiio devs (if you're still monitoring this thread). I recently upgraded my X7 to an X7ii and I am experiencing the Spotify SD card issue as reported here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/On...from-SD-Card-to-internal/idi-p/4655053/page/3

This means that I can only use the tiny internal storage partition for Spotify offline music. This wasn't an issue on the original X7 (perhaps I should have read this thread a bit more thoroughly before buying!)

I have used the Japanese flash tool posted earlier in this thread to increase the internal storage from 2GB to 4GB, which gives me space a few more offline albums, but it would be great if the internal storage position could be increased even further. Any chance we could get a version of the flash tool that creates a much larger (say 32GB) system partition? I use SD cards to store my Fiio Music library so the 'Internal SD' storage partition is basically wasted on me.

Dec 30, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #5,983 of 6,207
Hey all, been a while since I posted here!! Been eyeing up the M11 Pro, the Bluetooth connectivity and codecs are appealing (BT on X7 II pretty poor) but I’m thinking do I really need it!! So maybe the AM5 amp will work for me and my HD800s. one question, What’s the connector type on the AM5, could not find this out anywhere, currently can use the 800s’s balanced on the am3a 2.5mm as well as with an amp. Surprised how good they sound straight out of the AM3A!!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #5,985 of 6,207

Users who are viewing this thread

Back